Two Under 2
Options

Should I buy a 2nd high-chair?

When baby #2 is born, DS1 will be about 13.5 months old.  When do kids stop wanting to use a high chair and instead sit at the table (maybe in a booster seat?)?  Just wondering if it would be better to buy a 2nd high chair or not?  TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Should I buy a 2nd high-chair?

• Options
    I would.  DS still uses his as almost 22 months.  He can use a booster seat but if I want him contained, to really focus on eating, the high chair is a must.
  • Options

imageMamatoJackson:
    I would.  DS still uses his as almost 22 months.  He can use a booster seat but if I want him contained, to really focus on eating, the high chair is a must.

Thanks!  Makes perfect sense! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    i didn't but mine were that close together. mine are 19mo apart. Your #2 won't need the highchair till you start solids. For us...the bumbo worked fine from 4-6mo and DD1 was wanting to use the booster anyways. Then once table food increased DD2 got the highchair.
  • Options
    I have 2 space saver high chairs that go on our existing kitchen chairs. They work great.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageTonya&Cody:
    i didn't but mine were that close together. mine are 19mo apart. Your #2 won't need the highchair till you start solids. For us...the bumbo worked fine from 4-6mo and DD1 was wanting to use the booster anyways. Then once table food increased DD2 got the highchair.

The bumbo would be a great idea, but if baby #2 is anything like DS1, legs won't fit in the bumbo past about 4 months old.  My DS's legs are chunky and we had a hard time getting him in and out around then. haha 

• Options

I wouldnt use the bumbo, not smart on the chair if you have to walk away for a minute. Plus my DD her legs wouldnt fit in it past 3 months. 

We have a highchair and a FP booster with a tray. We then got another FP booster and the highchair is with a friend. They are easy to take off and work fine from about 7-8 months on.  DS uses his without the tray and we dont even buckle him anymore. They are 30 bucks. 

• Options

DD1 still loves her highchair - And I love that she loves it because that means she can't just up and leave the table :)

She also does just fine in her FP booster seat, so I'm thinking we'll transition her into it when DD2 is about to outgrow her Bumbo. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I would just purchase a FP booster seat for DC #1.  You can still contain her, she can still have her own tray and when she would rather use the table you can do that too.  Oh and it's only $30 so much more cost effective than a 2nd high chair.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

We've always used booster seats for both boys. Once they could sit up on their own they were in the booster seat with the tray. DS1 started solids at 5 1/2 months and was in the bumbo until 6 months then went into the booster. DS2 started solids at 6 months and was in the booster from the beginning.

ETA: just read some of hte other responses. Our FP booster has straps in it so the boys can't get up from the table in it. Well DS1 doesn't use it anymore but when he did we strapped him in it. DS2 now sits at the table in his booster and is strapped in. There is no way he can get out of it.

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Mine are 14 months apart, and we found no need for a second high chair. The baby didn't use it until 6 months or so, so L had it all to herself until she was 20ish months. When #2 started using it, it was easier to feed them separately, but L had no problem using the booster seat. So depending on what #2 was doing, L went back and forth between high chair and booster for a few more months.

That was one thing that we waited to see how it went before deciding to get a second one, and we never found a need for it.

• Options
    imageCaitlinJ22:

I wouldnt use the bumbo, not smart on the chair if you have to walk away for a minute. Plus my DD her legs wouldnt fit in it past 3 months. 

We have a highchair and a FP booster with a tray. We then got another FP booster and the highchair is with a friend. They are easy to take off and work fine from about 7-8 months on.  DS uses his without the tray and we dont even buckle him anymore. They are 30 bucks. 

i never put the bumbo on the chair nor walked away while she was in it :) 

• Options
    I didn't get a second, i got a booster that has a seatbelt so he is strapped in at the table., My two are 15 months apart and ds2 didn't use the highchair until like 3 or 4 months old, so it worked out well.
  • Options
    Don't buy anything until closer to when your second is ready to start solids - you'll have a better idea of what you need at that point.  We have a 1- and a 2-year-old and we have two booster seats, but the sort that come with trays so they can be used as high chairs.  DD1 mostly just uses the booster, and DD2 is starting to, too, but for awhile she used her tray.  Bonus - they take up a lot less room than a large high chair.
    Traveling the world with my girls - born 12 months and 18 days apart.
    <a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/putalittlepolkainyourdot/?action=view
  • Options

I haven't had my second yet, but she's on the way :-)  I have a Graco Blossom highchair that I'm hoping will work.  It comes with a boster and stuff and says it'll work for two kids, so I'm hoping to configure it so both will be okay.  In fact I just used the booster only when I took my 12 month old to my friends house for a dinner party and it worked out fine already.  However, we'll see in about 6 months when the baby starts on baby food to see if it's actually going to work out as a final solution.  I figure I''ll make the decision then.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"