Attachment Parenting
Options

Woven moms-question

I just got my first woven wrap, a size 6 Gira.  I really love it.  The problem is now I want more!  I want a Storch Inka shortie, I saw one of FSOT, but missed it.  I went on the Storch website and it looks like the price of a new one is the same as a used, yeah resale value!  

My question is, am I missing something?  I realize with a new wrap you have to break it in, but the price is the same basically (unless my Euro to Dollar conversion is incorrect), why not buy new and not have to wait for FSOT to come up?  Is there a benefit to buying used I am missing or is buying new from Europe not as seamless as it seems?  I just see a lot of ISO and I wonder why they just don't go right to the manufacturer to buy.  

Thanks! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Woven moms-question

• Options

I sometimes feel the same way about people who find amazing items at second-hand stores.  I wonder, "Who the heck has the time to hope to find the right style/size, etc.? I'll just go to the department store where I'm guaranteed to find what I want."

Some people have ISOs for harder-to-find or limited edition carriers.  Also, some people buy on FSOT because they just casually want a particular carrier rather than having to have it.  They may also prefer to trade away some of their lesser used carrier rather than pay outright.

I bought my first few wraps directly from a retailer (not mfg) because I wasn't going to wait for the possibility that they'd show up on FSOT.  DD was 1.5 months old and had been in a Moby every day.  I was ready for her to go onto my back and, like you I had specific woven wraps in mind that I wanted to own.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I don't always have ONE specific wrap that I am looking for and I don't always need it right now, so waiting for a deal on the right-enough wrap works for me.  I also like getting wraps that are broken in a little (or a lot.) 

However, if I am looking for an exact wrap and it is available retail, I will buy it there.

I recently directed someone to a couple retailers because she wanted to buy a wrap as a gift and buying from a retailer is WAY more manageable than from FSOT...

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I bought two Zara wraps one new the other used and my new one is still not broken in. It is a beasty of a wrap to try to get soft and floppy, but my used one is amazing. The mama I bought it from it was her workhorse wrap for her 3 year old... and it is by far my favorite. So that is what I found being the benifit of buying used. Did you see if there is any customs fees that you have to pay to get it to the US? Sometimes the postal service charges different fees from coming overseas. My Natibaby wrap I had to pay a $5 customs fee.
    Nickie
    Proud Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mommy to Desmond (5.30.2011) and Evangeline (2.26.2014)
    Loving wife, best friend and teammate to Babywearing Daddy, Kelly (7.27.2000)

Volunteer Babywearing Educator at Babywearing International of South Central Pennsylvania 

• Options
    I've never paid regular retail for a wrap on FSOT, and I'm surprised you're seeing one that's not rare set at retail price.  Like PP said, breaking in a new wrap can be a pain so I really prefer a used wrap in good condition over a new one.  Shipping from Europe can also take foreeeevveeeerrrr, I try hard to avoid it.
     Now that I have a considerable stash I find stalking FSOT to be half of the fun!  There are a few items I've been wanting to get for ages now, and the thrill when you see one of those items come up for sale can be addicting ;)
  • Options
    Thanks for the input.  I have some Paypal bucks I am waiting to clear, I will probably stalk FSOT until it clears and maybe I will get lucky!  If not, I will just order from Storch.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageSinafey:
    I've never paid regular retail for a wrap on FSOT, and I'm surprised you're seeing one that's not rare set at retail price.  Like PP said, breaking in a new wrap can be a pain so I really prefer a used wrap in good condition over a new one.  Shipping from Europe can also take foreeeevveeeerrrr, I try hard to avoid it.
     Now that I have a considerable stash I find stalking FSOT to be half of the fun!  There are a few items I've been wanting to get for ages now, and the thrill when you see one of those items come up for sale can be addicting ;)
    Yes, it took 2 full months to get my Naitbaby wrap from overseas...
    Nickie
    Proud Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mommy to Desmond (5.30.2011) and Evangeline (2.26.2014)
    Loving wife, best friend and teammate to Babywearing Daddy, Kelly (7.27.2000)

Volunteer Babywearing Educator at Babywearing International of South Central Pennsylvania 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"