Parenting after 35

What is your opinion on

teaching your kid sign language? Never thought of it before, but yesterday came across a CD and I think it is a great idea. It is also an opportunity for me  to learn sign language. Any experience with that?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What is your opinion on

• It can't hurt. I don't use a CD or anything, but I guess I've used bits of ASL with my kids over the years to find ways for them to tell me things when they don't know the words. I took some ASL in high school when I was working with sn kids in a daycamp program, it was fun.
  • We never went out of our way to teach DS SL, but he learned some at Gymboree and it was awesome! Please, thank you, eat, more and a few other things really came in handy :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah, it really sounds good to me. I am excited to learn I guess:)
  • great idea
  • DS is behind in language and will be starting speech therapy soon. In the meantime were going to try asl
  • We used it in moderation - very basic signs.  More, all done, milk, eat - things like that.  Basic needs. 

I had a friend who taught their kid SO MUCH sign language that the sign language seemed to take precedence over teaching him to actually TALK.  I can remember her telling us how he learned the sign for dolphin, but yet he wasn't actually speaking yet.  It may have been unrelated, but when, at the age of two, he could basicalyl only communicate w/ his parents because no one else know what he was signing....  I felt they had gone a bit far. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• imageEastCoastBride:

We used it in moderation - very basic signs.  More, all done, milk, eat - things like that.  Basic needs. 

We did this as well.  It was a huge help that DD1 could express some of her needs before she could speak.  We plan to do the same with DD2.

DD1 is 3, DD2 is 1.
  • I think it is a great idea. I am going to check a DVD out of the library.....my son babbles all the time, but he is a little delayed with actual words.
  • We started to do sign...more, milk, eat...etc.  DD was an early talker so it went by the wayside. It did help a lot though and I will do it with #2.

• I did it with my first 2 and I'm doing it with #3 now - nothing major, just small signs for before he's verbal (milk, please, thank you, stuff like that).  It didn't slow down talking in either of my other 2 but it was alongside speech, not in place of. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"