Parenting after 35
Options

Weightloss tips?

I gained 20kg or 44lb during this pregnancy and just wondering if any of you have any tips for weightloss.

Ive lost 7lb in the last week doing nothing but breastfeed and recover. I got on my treadmill today for a gentle half hour walk and it felt good.

I just fear its going to be harder to lose this baby weight being older. I have quite an a$$ on me at the moment.

Is it ok to start exercising so soon? I feel good, and had no stitches or anything like that. Im mainly concerned if it will interfere with breastfeeding.

Thoughts?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Weightloss tips?

• Options

I don't know about the exercising; I'd say ask your dr. about that.  But, for weight loss, how about weight watchers?  They have a nursing mother's plan, that allows you more points while nursing.  I lost 25 lbs on the plan after DD, and have just recently started back on the plan (took my time after DS was born!) and have lost 16 so far.  I wish I had started it sooner after DS was born.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

It really depends on what kind of exercise you were doing prior to and during the pregnancy. At one week pp, I would say it is absolutely too early. Your body has been getting hormones to relax not only the joints in your hips to accomodate a baby, it affects all joints. It doesn't just stop cold turkey or restrengthen the joints overnight.

Please talk to your physician to get the go ahead, or you could end up with back, hip, knee, and foot problems. It could cause problems that you may not see straight away. After I had ds, I went back to light walking at 6 wks pp, and was back on a half schedule at 12 wks pp. Up to 38 wks with him I swam 5-8 hrs a week and ran/cycled for 5 hours a week, down from 25 hours total a week prior to being ku. I was training with elite athletes then.

Fast forward to S, I swam 2 hours a week and alternated with brisk walking on the treadmill, 3 hours a week. 4 wks pp I was on my feet a lot and doing what would be a normal routine for me - no exercise yet (because of a family emergency), and I ended up injuring me foot; bunion. The doctor told me to slow down and that it was because I did too much too soon. Had this been after ds, it wouldn't have been an issue.

I agree about a plan like WW for nursing moms, it gives you everything you need to maintain nursing and allows the weight to come off naturally. Food for thought - it takes 9 months to put the weight on, it usually take double that (18-24 months) for it all to come off, so don't get discouraged.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'd say give BF a chance. I was back to my pre-PG weight by five weeks without trying at all (actually I have dessert after every meal). Otherwise, I agree that weight watchers is really effective. Good luck!
  • Options

Thanks y'all. You have convinced me to relax. I will look into WW :)

I feel pressure from my partner. He told me my a$$ was big, and keeps saying he cant wait till i get my body back. Already wants to have sex, and I have no interest whatsoever and still bleeding a little bit anyway....i dunno, I just feel unattractive. 

I know its not rational.

• Options

I looked up WW and Jenny Craig. Jenny Craig say wait until 6 weeks post birth.

so I might sign up for one of those after my 6 week check up.

• Options
    imagePunter2009:

Thanks y'all. You have convinced me to relax. I will look into WW :)

I feel pressure from my partner. He told me my a$$ was big, and keeps saying he cant wait till i get my body back. Already wants to have sex, and I have no interest whatsoever and still bleeding a little bit anyway....i dunno, I just feel unattractive. 

I know its not rational.

Your partner is not being rational here - you just had a baby!  Tell him to get a grip.  You are not supposed to have sex for six weeks pp. If you do, remember that you don't have to have had a period to get pg, so you may want to consider some form of birth control.

DD1 is 3, DD2 is 1.
  • Options

I like the way you think. You put that into perspective nicely :)

xx

• Options
    I would wait at least 6 weeks before heavily working out.  Walking now is okay.  I also would not worry about dieting just yet because you are ravenous when you are breast feeding.  Give yourself a break!  You just had a baby!  I would say start dieting around 3-6 months when your hormones stabilize.  WW is wonderful.  I have also been successful with losing my baby weight with the bodybugg.  It's basically a device that you wear on your arm that tracks how many calories you are burning, and you have to enter everything that you eat into the computer.  So for a 1 lb. a week weight loss goal, for example, you need a 500 calorie deficit per day.  GL and be gentle with yourself!!!!!! I gained 43 lbs with my last baby and gave myself one year to take it off, and I did. 
  • Options

I gained 40 lb during my pregnancy and, amazingly, lost 27 the first 8 days after delivery (my son was 9 lb).  That last 13 was really hard to lose.

IMO, I'd give yourself 3 months to fully heal from delivery. Drink LOTS of water and exercise as you did before you had your LO, but pull it back if you feel fatigued or if you think it's affecting your milk (note: I formula fed).

I really think the whole 9 months on / 9 months off saying is true.  You need to give yourself time.  

I'm 41 now and I'm currently at/close to pre-pregnancy weight (from age 38) after some fluctuation. I'm following Weight Watchers and hope to lose another 4-5 pounds.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Options
    thanks everyone for your advice and encouragement xxxx
  • Options

I was told that I should NOT diet during the first 6 weeks. Also the Dr gave me specific instructions on when to increase my excersize. You NEED to take your time and recover first. I pushed it at around week 3 or 4 and feel like I did my body an injustice.

After week 6 you can adjust your diet and increase your activity. Just make sure you eat enough if you continue to BF.

Best of luck to you. I gained 42# and was lucky enough to have lost 30 of it right away by just breastfeeding too. Now comes the hard part! LOL

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"