May 2011 Moms

Birthday dinners, etc.

What does everyone do in these types of situations?  My husband's family has a tradition of having dinner in a nice restaurant to celebrate birthdays.  They want us to bring LO but he is usually asleep by 6:30-7...right when we'd be going out.  There is no way he is going to be good in a restaurant, past his bedtime, for two hours.  I haven't left him with anyone but my mother and MIL.  My mom is out of town.  MIL will be at the dinner.  Should I bow out and suggest they go without me & LO? Suggest a weekend brunch or lunch?  Offer to make a nice meal?  I don't even like leaving LO with MIL or my own mother so leaving him with a babysitter is out of the question right now.  Hopefully I'll get over that soon enough but I'm not there yet.  

Re: Birthday dinners, etc.

• This is what I would do if I did not want to leave my kid with anyone. "I'm sorry, but that time of day is really rough for LO.  I will stay home with him but H will go with.  Sorry to miss out.  Happy Birthday."
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I got over it. Wink Owen goes to sleep at 7 now and I generally don't hear a peep out of him until at least 10. So when I had one last yoga class and DH had a work thing he couldn't miss, I asked a friend to come and hang out here for a couple hours. I put him to sleep, she worked on work stuff she needed to do, I was home before he knew I was gone.

I haven't left him awake with anyone but the grandmas, but honestly... I was pretty sure my friend could handle him asleep.

If you really won't leave him, then I guess I'd ask for lunch. 

• Loading the player...
  • I am with Token on this one.  Abby is in bed fast asleep by 7/7:30 pm.  I'd put her to bed and have someone watch her. 

Although, Abby has been in daycare since 10 weeks, so I am ok with others and family taking care of her when needed.

~~~I am MrsPLW71~~~ Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

My Birth Story
  • My DD doesn't go to bed before nine, ever.  I haven't left her with anyone but my mother and my aunt I'm very close to and I wouldn't leave her with anyone else right now.  I have friends that I very much trust, but DD is having some serious anxiety around anyone who isn't me, DH, or my parents, so I really am not going to put her through the torment of DH and I leaving her unless we have to right now.

I'd probably just send DH sans me and LO.  That would offend my in-laws though, so I'd probably suggest a lunch/earlier dinner.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"