Two Under 2
Options

BFing question

For those of you who breastfed #1, was it easier on your nipples the second time around since 1&2 were so close together? I am almost done weaning my first so I'll have about 5 months in between before #2 arrives.  I'm just curious as to whether my nipples will still be toughened up or whether I'll have to start at the beginning again!
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: BFing question

• Options

I don't know yet but from all the reading I have done I think it's going to hurt again when the new baby arrives - even with tandem nursing mamas.  Hormones, gotta love em!  Also you may know what to do but your newborn is going to have to learn how to nurse just like your first baby did and can "nip" you while trying to latch and suck.  I did hear that it doesn't hurt as long as it did with #1 though.

I'm still nursing DD1 and will be a tandem nursing mama once DD2 arrives (shortly).  I thought I would pass by the painful stage but I don't think that's going to happen.  Bummer!   

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

i had only a 5 month break too and I would say I wasnt as sore, but I was VERY sore with DS for about 10 wks. I had major issues. With DD I was sore for 10 days maybe 14 days tops. 

my biggest piece of advice is use two hands to latch the baby for a while, dont get cocky like I did I think "I got this!" I got lazy and caused more issues. pay close attention to how you latch for at least the first 2 weeks.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My nipples hurt the same as with DS, but the cramps from bf'ing were much worse the first couple of days.
  • Options

imagescaneiki:
    My nipples hurt the same as with DS, but the cramps from bf'ing were much worse the first couple of days.

Oh dear lord, yes. My ob warned me that the afterbirth cramping would be worse with the second baby, but it hurt worse than I expected and would get more intense while nursing. Thankfully, it's only lasted a little over a week.

I have found BFing to be less painful this time-- I stopped BFing DS1 back in March, but my milk never entirely went away, so I didn't get quite so engorged when my milk came in this time. My nipples also haven't been as sore. (Well, up until the last few days--  DS2 is hitting a growth spurt and is nursing more often right now.)

• Options

yeah the cramping while nursing gets worse each time..I am dreading nursing #3 for the first few days. It lasted 2-3 days but it was horrible. my sister has 3 and said it was horrific. 

I will say my supply adjusted a lot faster, your body knows what to do.  

• Options
    Well I nursed #1 clear up until I went into labor, but my nipples didn't hurt at all after having #2. They hurt really bad with my first baby.
    Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

• Options
    Breastfeeding only hurt for a day or so this time around. It was fabulous. However, like others said, the postpartum cramping was awful.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"