VBAC
Options

I KNEW I loved my OB!!

I had a section with DD because she was breech and my water broke a month early, so there was no turning her.  I loved my OB, so when I was planning for number 2 I checked the hospital's VBAC stats.  They only had 2 in 2009.  I figured I was out of luck.  <br>

So I went for my first pre-natel appointment and he suggested VBAC!! The only VBAC's at that hospital are his.  Said I was a nearly perfect candidate.  The only thing that would have made me better was if I had had a previous vaginal birth.  I am so excited to have a chance!  His only stipulation is I must go into labor before my due date, he will not induce.  Otherwise we schedule my repeat c on my due date.   So let's hope baby 2 is not breech and not late!! 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: I KNEW I loved my OB!!

• Options

hmmm.  Not sure how to respond.  I'm glad he raised the suggestion and not you, but honestly those odds are horrible.  Can he give you some idea of his or the hospitals 2010 or 2011 VBAC rate? 

The restriction of not going past your due date is also a red flag.  Less than 50% of women go into labor before 40 weeks.  Right off the bat, you're decreasing your chance by half.  I left my previous practice because they had that restriction.

I'm sure you were excited to hear that it was even a possibility, but now maybe it's time to look around and see if you can maximize your chances.  Or maybe negotiate to 41 or 42 weeks?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I agree that you should try to negotiate at least 41 weeks.  The latest research has suggested that "full term" is actually closer to 41 weeks than 40, so as cchill mentioned, it really does cut your chance by half just with that stipulation alone.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah, it's totally reasonable to get 41-42 weeks if you're a VBAC candidate. Good luck!!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    That's mostly good news.. I was in your situation too.. first baby c/s due to breech and I did go on to have a successful VBAC. I luckily went into labor at 40 weeks exactly but what if it took a few more hours? I'd be c-sectioned in your situation then. My OB was willing to let me go to 41 weeks and then admit me to the hospital and break my water (no other forms of induction allowed) to try that as a last ditch effort before a c-section
  • Options
    Congratulations on your pregnancy. Like the PPs said, that labor by your EDD restriction is a big one. There is really no reason why it has to be by that date. I know if I had been given that restriction, I would most likely be out of the running for a VBAC before I even got a chance.
  • Options

Thanks for the advice ladies! I didn't want to write a novel to begin with, so I was a little stingy with details.  My OB has had 4 VBACs in the last 9 months.  He said most of the women who are interested in a VBAC get it.  

I want a VBAC for 2 reasons: 1 - so that I am better able to care for my DD post-delivery and 2 - I would, of course, prefer not to have major surgery if possible.  I had a great c-section with DD, and have no regrets about my first birth experience.  My feeling is, as I get close to to my due date I can negotiate more time if I need it.  However, if I did end up with another section, I would not be overly upset.  

I also know I have an extremely accurate due date, since I had IUI.  I guess maybe the fact that DD came a month early means I am not at all worried about a 40 week deadline.  I know every pregnancy is different, and as I get closer that might change.  We'll see.  I have lurked here a lot as I tried to get pg with #2 and I have seen many women dissappointed with a "bait and switch" OB.  I guess it might seem careless to those who are 100% invested in a VBAC, but I don't need a VBAC, I would just prefer one.   I made the decision to stay with my OB even if he didn't do VBAC, so the fact that I have a chance is just awesome for me.  

• Options

Sounds like you're in the perfect position mentally!  I agree that if you were really going for a VBAC you might want to switch docs, but if you are OK either way then you are probably best staying with someone you like and have a relationship with already.  At least he's not doing a bait and switch like you mentioned, he is being upfront with his restrictions and the fact that he is only semi-VBAC supportive. 

FWIW, I was very accurate with my dates too and had #1 at 40w6d and my VBAC at 40w1d (not induced).  I just bake longer!  

DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yep, I was very accurate with my dates on my last pregnancy too and went to 41w5d.  Keep in mind that the breech positioning of your last baby could have caused the early water break and may bear no relevance on your current pregnancy.
  • Options

I like that he brought up the idea of VBAC before you did.  

But I don't like the 40 week restriction.  If your c/s would be on your due date, he is not even giving you the full 40 weeks to go into labor, so that could really lower your odds.  A lot of the posters here who had perfectly healthy VBACs would have ended up with an unnecessary RCS with your OB's deadline.  There is no reason a VBAC mom can't go to 41 or 42 weeks, so I would negotiate that or look into other options in your area if you really want a good shot at a VBAC.

Have you asked him what his VBAC success rate is? 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagemarianj79:

Thanks for the advice ladies! I didn't want to write a novel to begin with, so I was a little stingy with details.  My OB has had 4 VBACs in the last 9 months.  He said most of the women who are interested in a VBAC get it.  

I want a VBAC for 2 reasons: 1 - so that I am better able to care for my DD post-delivery and 2 - I would, of course, prefer not to have major surgery if possible.  I had a great c-section with DD, and have no regrets about my first birth experience.  My feeling is, as I get close to to my due date I can negotiate more time if I need it.  However, if I did end up with another section, I would not be overly upset.  

I also know I have an extremely accurate due date, since I had IUI.  I guess maybe the fact that DD came a month early means I am not at all worried about a 40 week deadline.  I know every pregnancy is different, and as I get closer that might change.  We'll see.  I have lurked here a lot as I tried to get pg with #2 and I have seen many women dissappointed with a "bait and switch" OB.  I guess it might seem careless to those who are 100% invested in a VBAC, but I don't need a VBAC, I would just prefer one.   I made the decision to stay with my OB even if he didn't do VBAC, so the fact that I have a chance is just awesome for me.  

I missed this earlier.  What you are saying is not careless at all.  Everyone has their own feelings about this stuff and you have to follow your heart.  

Maybe play it by ear at the end then?  If you get to your EDD, see how you feel.  You may want more time, or you may be fine having a c/s.  

GL!

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageYaraC:
    Yep, I was very accurate with my dates on my last pregnancy too and went to 41w5d.  Keep in mind that the breech positioning of your last baby could have caused the early water break and may bear no relevance on your current pregnancy.

I actually am pretty sure that dd's breech position did cause my water to break early.  The fact that I am not worried about going "past term" is not based on any facts.  It's more that I just can't picture going that far and generally have an "I'll worry about that when it happens" type personality.  As I get beyond the 36 week mark (when my DD was born), I very well may feel differently.  At that point I'll have a discussion with my OB, and try to finagle (sp?) more time.

What I meant by the fact that I have a very accurate due date was that at least I know it will actually be 40 weeks.  I know some women ovulate late and never really get a properly adjusted due date.   

It also just makes me feel better that even if I end up with a repeat c-section, I won't be fighting to schedule it close to my due date.  I know quite a few women who's OB's scheduled a rcs at 39 weeks or even 38 weeks.  It eases my mind to know I won't have to fight that battle.   Again, thanks for all the advice and luck!  I really appreciate you all taking the time to read and respond to my situation.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"