Adoption
Options

Trial placement?

We got a call from the SW today about one of the two potentiL matches the county had called us about. It's a 10 year old boy, and they're deciding between us an one other family. She told us they want to do a "trial" placement for a weekend at each home and then make their final decision. Is it just me, or is this really strange?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Trial placement?

• Options
    I have heard of legally free foster children "visiting" potential adoptive parents for weekends, weeks in the summer, etc to see if they get along.  Sometimes a child that looks good on paper isn't a fit for your family and it is better to find that out before you tell them you want to adopt them.  What I find strange is that they are doing this with two families at the same time.
    dd(Brianna) 11/01/94, ds(Bram)10/17/95, ds(Jesse)9/26/97, dd (Annie Ruth) 7/27/05 5mc Jan '08, May '08, Feb '09, Sept '09, Apr '11 "And can it be that in a world so full and busy, the loss of one weak creature makes a void in any heart, so wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth of vast eternity can fill it up." - Charles Dickens

PAL/PGAL Welcome

• Options
    I rarely see that with younger children, but I'm seeing it more often with older children - with the excuse of respite so that the child doesn't sabotage the placement.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    we have had it with several of our foster placements. i think they are trying to reduce bouncing the kid around if the situation doesnt work out.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

TTC since 2005
    missed miscarriage nov 2006- 4 failed clomid cycles-
    3 failed femara iui cycles-
    moving on to IVF oct 2011
    ER nov. 7th
    tansfered 2 blasts on 11/10
    lots of +hpt!!
    beta #1 on 11/21= 50.4
    beta #2 on11/23= 90.8
    another miscarriage 12/23
    moving on to Round 2 of IVF with an auto immune dx
    ER 4/23-retrieved 12 eggs
    ET 4/28 3 transfered
    Beta #1- 356
    Beta #2- 870

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

I think it's a great idea to prevent them being moved about more than absolutely necessary! Best of luck!!!

• Options

We did something similar with Iz and we called it "dating".  We started with a daytime visit outside of our homes, then one or two overnights, then weekends, then a full week before she finally moved in.  It was nice but not enough time to really get to know each other, just a good start.

I've never heard of it being done with two families, it's a good idea though.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"