Postpartum Depression
Options

Prevention before PPD starts?

Hi there ladies,

I haven't posted here before. I was wondering if any of you who had PPD with your first, did anything to prevent it before giving birth to your second child?

I had severe PPD after my son was born. My father passed away 3 days after I gave birth and it sent me on a horrible downward spiral. I wanted nothing to do with my son, it affected my marriage. I was prescribed a number of medications, nothing helped, and 2 years and a divorce later, I finally started to feel normal again. I know some of it was circumstantial, I was very young, lost my dad etc. However, I am petrified of having to go through this again. DH and I have been together 3 years, and I'm usually a happy person. I've had a rough pregnancy so far and I'm already feeling a down because of the physical strain of this pregnancy has my ability to do everyday activities to a halt. It this something I should talk to my midwife about now before I give birth? Did you just have the "wait and see what happens" mentality? Any advice is welcome! Thanks!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Prevention before PPD starts?

• Options

I would talk to your midwife about it, for sure. And your husband (I'm sure you have)

I think its important to have a plan in place, just in case. It doesn't mean you need to start meds right away, or ever, but that you and your DH and other family/support need to be aware of what happened last time and any signs to look for. You need to figure out the things that make you feel good and balanced. Have back up care/support ready, make sure your DH knows midwife's number, etc.

Is it important for you to work out? Eat right? Etc. Identify those things and make sure they continue to happen after baby is born. 

**** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • Options

PPD prevention, hmmm.... Been thinking about this one alot for me right now. Considering this has been a tough year, and a tough PG, and considering my history, I am thinking PPD may be hard to prevent. But I am trying to be positive.

1~We have already talked to a therapist about appt's after baby is born.They will be weekly, to talk about my week, give me time without baby, and to release tension.

2~ Breastfeeding releases "happy hormones" so the plan is to BF. DH will be getting up with me at night to get me water/food or whatever while I BF so the I Feel less alone in my task.

3~ Once a month my mom will be comeing over to baby sit and give me and DH time away from the kids. No matter what, you have to make time for yourself, without the kids.

4~ dont feel bad if you need medication. Better that, than to be 5150'd for suicidal thoughts. (trust me, county mental health... it sucks)

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birthday
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Reading your post was uplifting in a way and I must say thank you for sharing. That may sound weird but I'm a first time mom, due January 3rd but at risk for delivering early because I have a bicornuate uterus. It has been a rough pregnancy as they initially thought the pregnancy was ectopic and told me to expect surgery within 48 hours - I was terrified and SO upset. Luckily everything turned out okay, but that's when we found out my uterus was bicornuate. I've been on and off work throughout the pregnancy due to doctor's recommendations, and have officially been off work since 29 weeks (I'm currently 34 weeks). 

Everyone keeps telling me you're SO lucky to be off work, but I'm finding it kind of depressing! I'm a nurse and actually really like my job, and with my husband gone to work all day for 10+ hours it gets quite lonely. I have three dogs to keep me company but I find lately it's felt like more of a burden because I can't do all the things with them like I used to! I know EXACTLY what you mean when you say you are feeling down because your ability to do normal everyday activities has come to a halt. I feel like in a way I've lost my independence and it's REALLY hard! People keep saying "Take advantage of it! I would LOVE it  and just lay in bed all day!" but that isn't' fun for me! Sure I love a day of lounging around and just watching movies, but week after week after week... ughhh!! I'm also wayyyy too much of a worrier and I find all this alone time allows me TOO much time to just worry more.

I do think you're on the right track by talking to your midwife about it! That way it's something that she can personally watch for as well - even if you're not recognizing the signs after you give birth it'd be beneficial for her to be watching as she may pick up on them. I think you're very brave and being a great mommy by realizing the signs and wanting to take control of it now! As this is my first pregnancy I've personally never experienced it, but I do definitely understand how you're feeling.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I am going to be more proactive this time. If I can't get in to the midwife program, I am going to make sure the public health nurse comes and visits more often to keep an eye on me. I am also resigned to the fact that breastfeeding may not work for me again this time. Last time, I took it extremely hard when it didn't work out. I would discuss it with your midwife. She may just do a few more home visits then usual. And if she's aware that it was a problem, she may be on more of the lookout for it. Best of luck to you.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"