Postpartum Depression
Options

Anyone take anything while pregnant?

I started taking Celexa when my DS was 7 months old for anxiety. I found out I was pregnant again about 3 months later. When I went to my MW for my first appointment she said I should wean off of my medication because of the potential side effects for the baby at birth. I did horrible taking nothing so she started me on Buspar twice a day. I could only take it at bedtime because it made me SO dizzy. I called to talk to them to see if they could prescribe something else because I felt angry while on it and I was miserable and having daily breakdowns. They told me to just keep taking it until my next appointment (12/5). After my final breakdown the other day I decided to take my Celexa again. I just can't stand not being on it. Of course now I'm freaking out about all the potential side effects if taken after 3rd trimester (low birth weight, failure to adjust easily after birth, lung issues, etc). The percentage is low, but I'm still concerned.

So has anyone taken meds while pregnant? If so, what did you take?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone take anything while pregnant?

• Options
    I took 100mg of Zoloft while pregnant.  DD's heartrate was a little slow at birth, but she's fine.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options
    Its different for everyone. My good friend took zoloft while pregnant and her baby girl was born with a cleft palate. I stopped my zoloft once I found out I was pregnant. Some people can not have it affect their baby's, some can. It's like smoking. Some babies are born with horrible side effects, some babies are perfectly fine.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've taken Wellbutrin XL for years for depression and continued during my pregnancy.  The only thing I did different while pregnant was lower my dose.  There is no way I could go completely without; for me, the benefits greatly outweigh the risks.  With my lower dose, I have some irrational thoughts slip in and I know I am at great risk for PPD.  I will be raising my dose very soon after birth because of this.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I took 10mg lexapro for anxiety during my entire pregnancy. I had my lo 3 weeks early but she's as healthy as can be, scored 8 and 9 on her apgar test.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I took 10mg of lexapro while pregnant with DD.    She was 6lbs and 12 oz and totally fine!!!    Her apgar scores were 9 and 10.    

I am currently 19 weeks with my 2nd and I am also on celexa 30 mg.    I CANNOT go without it, as I will drive myself crazy with worry, etc.    The benefit for me is Way better then the alternative.

You are doing the right thing if you can't function without it, or normally without.    The baby is put under way more pressure/stress if you are upset.

Good luck, its such a horrible thing to deal with 

• Options

I took Luvox while pregnant with my DS (and occasionally took Ativan after the first trimester) and worried and worried about it all during the pregnancy and continue to worry about it even now.  (He is now 4.5 yrs old).  Because I'M a big worrier -- obv.--, we recently had him tested extensively by a child psychologist because we were concerned about ADHD or depression/anxiety in him because he's very "busy" and doesn't listen very well and seems moody sometimes.  His tests showed no signs of anything out of the ordinary for a 4.5 year old -- just that he's very intelligent and we need to be better disciplinarians. :-)

He scored a 9 on his Apgar testing and absolutely no physical "abnormalities." The only thing that *may* have been a little bit off was that he was a fussy baby.  He was not easily soothed and I wondered if it was because he was going through withdrawals from my antidepressant.  Unfortunately, my PPD was pretty bad, so I can't imagine how bad it would have been -- and how I would have been able to mother him at all -- if I hadn't been taking the Luvox.  

If I ever get pregnant again, I plan to take antidepressants.  But I know it's such a tough decision to make.  And what better way to send a mom with anxiety and depression issues into a tailspin than to tell her that the medications she may absolutely NEED may affect her baby's health.  

Thinking about you! 

• Options
    I took 10 mg of Prozac and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa while PG with DD (now 22 months old). She was born full term (38 weeks) and was 6 lbs 14 oz at birth and completely healthy. She is however very small for her age- 22 lbs and 33 inches (5% for weight) but that may be unrelated to the meds I took while PG. Who knows. She is however very healthy and normal Big Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"