March 2012 Moms
Options

Ultrasound percentile?

I had my 20 week ultrasound last week and the nurse called today to tell me that the doctor had a chance to review the US pics and said all looked good.  Because of the baby's position, the pictures of the baby's heart weren't very clear so the doctor wants to do another US in 4 weeks for better pics but not to worry.  And we stayed team green again!

But my question is, the nurse said the baby measured in the 43rd percentile.  I had never heard baby percentiles in the womb!  I know at every doctor appt after the baby is born they measure in percentiles but with my previous 2 kids, I don't ever remember them telling me a percentile.  I wonder since my baby measures smaller, if that means my dates are off and I will deliver late?  Or maybe have a small baby? What do you think?  And were you told a percentile?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Ultrasound percentile?

• Options
    I haven't been told the overall percentile but my MW showed me the report from the a/s that had the percentiles for the body parts on it. He was right around 40-50% but I'm not sure if that was compared to 20 weeks or 18, since I was 18w3d when we did the a/s.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was told 72% and he weighed 12 oz at 20 weeks - a little big.
    Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've had five u/s with this pregnancy and have never been told a percentile.  If there was something to be concerned about, they would have told you, they would have had you go back in for further testing (the second anatomy scan doesn't count, I had to have two for the same reason - baby was moving around too much and they couldn't get good shots of her heart)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My sister is 37 weeks. Belly measures 41. Baby measures a few days ahead of the 37. BIG baby. But is still, even that large only the 60 something percentile.
  • Options

I wouldn't worry about your LO's percentile. It sounds just fine Big Smile My office doesn't worry about it unless your LO is under the 10th percentile. I was induced last time at 36 weeks, because DD dropped from the 10th to the 5th to the 3rd. DD #2 is measuring in the 5th percentile so far, so I'm betting on another early induction. I get a growth u/s in 4 weeks, so grow, baby, grow!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    So far we've had 7 ultrasounds plus the fetal echo. They've never given me a percentile, but I'm thinking I should ask. My next u/s is Tuesday. I do know that little Reese measures a little small each time, usually only a few days behind, but they're never concerned. However, two weeks ago at my weekly appt, the nurse did refer to her as tiny. Frankly, unless the Dr. is concerned, I won't be concerned either, if she's a little small, that's ok with me since I'm pushing her out. I'll be sure to ask on Tuesday.

Me (33). DH (37). DD (2.2012). MCs x4. After 4 years & 7 months, due 4.2018!

• Options

Well, the 43rd percentile is right in the middle of average, so it means your baby is just the right size.  And it's not that accurate because it's just an estimate.  Average is 25th-75th percentile. 

ETA: Just to clarify what a percentile is, it is comparative.  So what it means is that out of 100 kids, 43 are smaller than yours.  Also, growth rates differ a lot at this point, so it could change a lot.

Lots of love to my BFPB, Squishy622 <3

photo 544b4365-b9ee-4805-ba08-f19896d25dae_zpsd8a0debb.jpgphoto ed61c23b-2bf9-4622-b870-072ac0970775_zpsa90b2a73.jpg

• Options
    My baby measured in the 30th percentile today and they were very happy with that. As PP said, the percentile shows where your baby is compared with others.  So your baby is bigger than 43% of babies.  Sounds perfect :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"