VBAC

Would like some encouragement after a discouraging Dr visit

I had my 38 week appointment today (been three weeks since my last appointment) and after getting checked to see how the baby was laying the doctor needed to get one of those mobile US units to make sure the head was down and it wasn't the back, because it felt "too big" to him. Turns out the head was down. Then when he checked my dilation and effacement there was nothing, for both! He also mentioned that my pelvis felt rather narrow! I have been having BH everyday rather strongly for the last week. Some days are worse than others, as somedays I have extreme pelvic pressure but other days the baby is up in my lungs. The doctor thinks that because of my narrow pelvis the baby is yo-yoing trying to engage but unable to. I was told that if my baby doesn't engage in the next week and a half I will have to schedule a c-section. This is soooo not what I want! Has anyone had this happen or found a way to get your hips to open up?

Re: Would like some encouragement after a discouraging Dr visit

• That is odd.  For many second births the baby does not engage until active labor.  Doesn't soud right that you don't even get to 40 weeks before they give up like that.   find it suspect that he is calling "narrow pelvis" and "big head" right now.  Try not to let it get you down.  Staying relaxed is key- easier said than done, I know!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • You could try the chiropractor for an adjustment. They have some techniques that I have heard work on getting ready for birth. I'd tell your Ob to back off and reassess at 40 or 42 weeks before he decides who's engaged.
    PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you, I do need to just settle down and remember that I do have time, I have never gone beyond 39 weeks with my previous two pregnancies so part of me just assumed this one would be similar! Maybe I will relax with some prenatal yoga, lol!
  • ditto on the question of why he is wanting to go before 40 weeks. Is there another Dr in his office you could "accidently " get a second opinion from?

Wink

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birthday
  • It sounds like that doctor is trying to bait and switch you into a c/s.  Babies don't need to engage before labor in order for you to have a VBAC.  It's normal for second babies to stay high until active labor.  At my last OB appt, my baby was still high, and I went into labor that night and had a fast VBAC.  It also doesn't matter if you are dilated or effaced yet either.

Ditto pps that if you want a VBAC, you should refuse a scheduled RCS until 41-42 weeks.  They need to give your body some time.  You still have 2 weeks before it's even your EDD, so why all the pressure from your doctor? 

GL 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Sounds like doctor mind games!! He can't tell how wide or narrow your pelvis is. I agree with everything everyone else said, say no to a RCS, and agree to more monitoring, if necessary. hth
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Thanks everyone for your input! It is much appreciated and encouraging! I think his (doctor) big worry is my first time around I was induced at 37 weeks because of complications with my pregnancy. I labored 29 hours and then after an hour of pushing my baby got stuck and went into fetal distress mode, and that is how I ended up with my first c-section. Emergency c-section that is. I had a scheduled c-section my second time around so now I really, really want to do this VBAC as I know what an absolute pain it is to recover from a c-setion!  p.s. I started sitting/bouncing around on my excersise ball yesterday and did some more prenatal yoga and I notice a slight different feeling in my hips today, gonna keep it up until the baby comes if I can :)

• arg ... your doc makes me so angry.  his rcs 'recommendation' reeks of convenience to me.  i am very grateful for the technology of modern medicine, but really, babies have been doing what they need to do well before docs decided to get involved.  they just need to back off a little and let the babies and our bodies do what they need to do. :::rant over:::

the pp all had great recommendations.  good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"