Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Can babies have real maple syrup?

This is probably a dumb question, but can our LO's have maple syrup? We are going on vacation next week with all of my in-laws, and I know there wil be some dishes baked with maple syrup. Can LO eat them? Could he have maple syrup on a pancake? ( I know it is all sugar so not an everyday food. He just gets pieces of pancake with butter now). WDYT?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Can babies have real maple syrup?

• Options
    I would like to know also. My mother has given her a few taste of the syrup which wasn't okay with me.
  • Options

imagesnozberries:
    I would like to know also. My mother has given her a few taste of the syrup which wasn't okay with me.

This sounds like my in-laws. They all have kids so I can see them telling me "its fine," even if its not.   

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagesnozberries:

This sounds like my in-laws. They all have kids so I can see them telling me "its fine," even if its not.   

• Options
    I wouldnt do it. Maybe whip your LO up a fresh plain pancake or something, or even french toast would be faster.  Its def better with syrup on it though ;-)

• Options

imageMarSamWhitney:
    I wouldnt do it. Maybe whip your LO up a fresh plain pancake or something, or even french toast would be faster.  Its def better with syrup on it though ;-)

I would give my child maple syrup before french toast.   

• Options
    imagewlm740:

imageMarSamWhitney:

Why is that? I'm assuming you are worried about eggs? Many LOs have already had eggs and have done fine with them, especially by 9-12 months.

eta: I probably wouldn't give LO a pancake/french toast with syrup (because like you said it's pure sugar and he likes them fine without syrup), but I wouldn't avoid an otherwise fairly healthy dish that happens to have maple syrup in it.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagewlm740:

imageMarSamWhitney:

I am dying to hear the reasoning for this.

• Options
    Yeah, me too!  Why?
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I wouldn't put syrup on pancakes because it isn't needed. LO likes plain pancakes (no butter) just fine, no reason to introduce him the heaven that is syrup yet.  If it was baked into something and that was the meal, I would let him have some.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options

imagehmp&mrj:
    I wouldn't put syrup on pancakes because it isn't needed. LO likes plain pancakes (no butter) just fine, no reason to introduce him the heaven that is syrup yet.  If it was baked into something and that was the meal, I would let him have some.

Many of my feeding decisions are based on "Would I mind sharing this if he really likes it?" Yogurt? I'll share. Green beans? Go ahead. Real maple syrup? Pfft, not until he can appreciate it.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagehmp&mrj:
    Same here. They don't know what they are missing, so there is absolutely zero need to give them anything sugary. To the PP about French toast...Earth's Best makes an organic one, and I serve them to C about once per week plain.
  • Options
    imagehonkytonk_kid:

imagehmp&mrj:

Many of my feeding decisions are based on "Would I mind sharing this if he really likes it?" Yogurt? I'll share. Green beans? Go ahead. Real maple syrup? Pfft, not until he can appreciate it.

this is hilarious! i love it! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"