Military Families
Options

making friends

how do you make friends with spouses i dont work or drive i know i should pls dont get on me about that but my husband never wants to hang out with his friends who are married so i cant make friends any suggestions

Re: making friends

• Options

Well for starters, learn to drive, or get a license, or get through whatever is holding you back from that.  At the very least, take advantage of any public transportation is available.  Being stuck in the house isn't good for anybody, and you'll have almost no chance at making friends if you don't get out.

Have you tried getting involved with your unit's FRG (or whatever the family group is called in your H's branch of service)?  That's a surefire way to meet other spouses in the unit.  Even if you end up not liking the group as a whole, you might meet individuals that you have things in common with.

Just get out and get involved in things.  Take classes at a gym, go to events on post, join a group or club of some kind (try meetup.com to find some)... just put yourself out there.  You never know where you'll meet a good friend, but you'll never meet them if you don't go somewhere. 

• Options

I agree with the PP. You need to get out. Either figure out the driving situation or use public transport. Get involved with a spouses club whether it be the enlisted spouses club or the officers spouses club.

You need to get out in your local community!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with the pps. Get out! Also what I did when I was in HI was found a facebook page for the base. It was an easy way to meet people. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You'll never meet people if you never leave the house.  If driving isn't an option, check out bus schedules.  
  • Options

Definitely look for a Facebook page for your H's unit or spouses of that base.  I made many friends that way in NC.  And if you aren't already, get your name on the call/email list for the FRG (a good way to find out about on-post happenings and to get in contact with others).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Ok, I have a very hard time making new friends.  I was told of this website called www.meetup.com .  You put in your city, put in something your are interested in- book clubs, hiking, swimming, etc.  It will come up with meetings in the area.  You will meet new people who all share similar interests.  The point of the site is to bring in new people, so they experience new people all the time.  I am in Germany, so it doesn't really work here, but I'm very anxious to try it out when I get back to the states.  Also, try base activities.  FRG or the equivalent to the spouses clubs in your branch.  Go to the local base community service building and find out what groups they hold- mother groups, new mommy groups, etc.  IF you are religious- try getting involved in your local church.  Check out the local gym- start going to classes and meeting new people there.  I hope this helps.
  • Options
    Ditto www.meetup.com I found a great group of women in my area using this. But, you're going to have to find a way to meet up with them...
  • Options
    I joined meetup as well and met a great group of women. Go to the local library for story times, find a Facebook page for you base, get out of the house bottom line. No one wants to be friends with someone who stays home all the time and can't meet anywhere because they can't drive. Not judging but no one wants to have a friend that never gets out.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I became proactive after being alone for a looooong time and started a baby playgroup through our base's spouse group. I was surprised how many people showed up and said they were lonely at home too. Now it's a weekly thing and I made new friends.
  • Options
    I have a friend who does not drive either, it's your choice and those pushing you to get a DL need to leave you alone. I suggest walking to things on base if you llive on base. otherwise maybe a bus. my husband is a Marine and there is a site MCCS (marine corps community services) and they give you different activities going on etc. you might consider volunteering for something on base like the red cross, also sign up for any class you can and attend them it will help you network with people. try to find the FB page for wives of the same unit as your hubby almost ALL units have a wives FB page and you can get to know and link up with people there. also consider church groups. hope this helps.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"