TTC after 35
Options

IUI #3 negative and RE wants me to try a 4th

I just got the call that my 3rd IUI failed and my RE wants me to do another IUI. He recommends increasing my dosage of letrozole from 2.5 to 5, and adding a trigger shot. For IUI's 1 &2, I took 50mg of Clomid. I always ovulate on these low doses, usually with 2-3 mature follicles. I don't understand how increasing my dosage will improve my chances. What if I end up with 4-5 mature follicles?

Everything I've read says with IUI, your chances plummet after 3 unsuccessful attempts. I'm not really a candidate for injects/IUI because I respond so well to low doses of oral drugs. 

I'm not in a hurry to jump into IVF at all, but I'm just so discouraged and I feel like I am wasting my time and money with IUI. I thought we could at least have a conversation about moving on. I am so over this.

We're also hosting Thanksgiving this year and the thought of that makes me want to crawl in a hole and not come out until 2012.

Anyway, thanks for reading my whiney vent. Any advice would be appreciated.

TTC #2 since July 2010
FSH = 11 (20 on day 10 of CCCT)/ AMH = .98 / AFC=12ish
5 IUI's with oral meds = all BFN
March 2012 IVF (MDL Protocol) Started stims 3/3; ER 3/11 (9R, 8M, 7F) ET 3/16 (5dt of 2 blasts graded 3AB and 3BA, 3 frosties(!!) Beta 3/26 = 386; Beta 3/28 = 827; u/s 4/11 says TWINS! Boy/Girl Twins delivered at 36 weeks 6 days

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: IUI #3 negative and RE wants me to try a 4th

• Options
    I don't have any advice.  It is a tough decision to make.  But I did want to send hugs Left Hug
    BFP on IVF #2 6/29/2012. Beta #1 7/3 = 522; Beta #2 = 1180; Beta #3 = 6491 image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I'm sorry IUI no. 3 failed. 

My RE is putting me on injects even though I responded fine to Clomid.  She said chances of success were higher on injects than on Clomid/Femara.  I'm not sure why.

ETA:  Sorry, read too fast.  I see you're staying on oral meds.  In my understanding the trigger could potentially make a big difference -- letting you release more than one egg, which isn't as likely without.  So your chances might be improved this time around.    

ETA again:  Correction. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I think the theory is the higher the dosage, the more follies develop, the more likely you are to get a good one.

I responded well to 50mg of Clomid, but did even better and had a huge follie on 100.

And btw, I'm moving on to my 5th IUI, this one with injectables. And my doc would like me to do 1 or 2 more if this doesn't work. A lot of women on this board have done 5 or more.

If you have a good egg supply and ovulate on your own or with the trigger, I think some REs want you to try the less invasive IUIs longer.

I totally understand how frustrating it is. Hang in there. You could schedule a follow up and talk to your RE about why he doesn't want you to move on yet.

Me = 38, Husband = 31. TTC since 1/10. M/C at 8 wks 5/10. Started trying again 9/10. All tests normal: AMH/MIS, FSH, HSG, SA. Estradoil high. 6/20/11 - Clomid+Ovidrel+IUI#1=BFN. 7/17/11 - Clomid+IUI#2=BFN. 2 natural cycles = BFN. 10/6/11 - Clomid+Ovidrel+IUI#3=BFN. 10/31/11 - Clomid+Ovidrel+IUI#4 = BFN. 11/26/11 - Follistim+Ovidrel+IUI#5 = BFN. IVF#1 - Menopur+Follistim. 2 ET 5/11/12 = BFN.
  • Options

I am so sorry for this negative cycle. I think this time of year is the worst for dealing with failed cycles. We get dreams of approaching the holidays with possibly a great announcement.

Take care and I am wishing you good luck with whatever you decide is your next step.

Me: 39 DH: 39 Dx: MFI, DOR, Poor Responder Our only option is IVF with ICSI; 1/11 IVF#1.1: Lupron flare, canceled lead follie/poor response; 3/11 IVF#1.2: EPP, canceled due to lead follicle/poor response; 10/11 IVF#1.3: Antagonist, microdose HCG, 2 embies 2dt BFN; 12/11 IVF #2: Stims started 12/17, ER: 12/27 3R, 1 mature, 1 fert, other 2 eggs matured overnight and rescue ICSI performed and both fertilized! (frozen on 12/30), On 12/29 1 2d 4-cell, grade 1 embie transferred. 1/12: Scheduled Beta, FX'd! IVF Snowflakes!
    Photobucket
  • Options

I could have written this post. I am the exact same boat. I had 3 failed and clomid and now we are moving to injectibles. I hope for sucess. My insurance wont cover after this for IUI.

Good luck 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have no experience in the injection part of IUI's (wasn't even worth doing for me) but just sending you best wishes and good luck making a decision!

ME:46 MH:44 DE IVF 2014
    Met with RE 4/11. 2 IUI's BFN. DE best option. Switched clinics to do "shared" program. Had to retake all tests and a mamm that put me behind and then on a DE waiting list for 12 months. Picked a donor!! (10/13/13) Got matched. Estimated transfer in December. After 2.5 years of patiently waiting I will finally cycle....can hardly believe it. DE cycle got cancelled. One of her tests came back positive.  Waiting for another donor. Donor picked!! (1/18/14)

DE IVF #1 (4/26) BFN  DE FET #1 (6/4) BFP! Beta 1=339 Beta 2=852 Beta 3=9957 EDD 2/22/15!!

imageimage 
         image   imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"