New York Babies

Moving to NYC - need opinions

Hi ladies,

New to your board, but not new to TB. My husband just accepted a job at NYU starting in July (academia moves slowly).

We have one daughter will be just turning 3 when we move and I just got a BFP last night (I know my ticker looks ridiculous - I am seeing an RE and this was supposed to be an IUI cycle that ended up being a trigger and timed intercourse thus the early testing). My due date, should everything go well, will be 2 days after DH starts his new position.

We will be moving from San Francisco. The cost-of-living is a concern for us but from looking around on Craigs list I think rent will be not all that different from SF. What I'm trying to gather information about now which neighborhoods we should consider. We've been told to check out Riverdale, Park Slope and surrounding neighborhoods, a friend lives in Bronxville and another family we know is in Ditmas Park. We'll be making a scouting trip in early December to just check things out and get a feel for some of the neighborhoods suggested to us already.

I know it's all subjective, but do you have a neighborhood you love - good for kids, parks and green spaces, low crime, reasonable cost-of-living? We haven't even approached finding a pediatrician, Ob, and pre-school yet! 

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Peeper Summarized

Re: Moving to NYC - need opinions

• We live on the Lower East Side and love it. There are lots of young families in the coops in the neighborhood (check out Loho Realty for listings in the area). I also have friends who live in Park Slope and Astoria, and those would be great areas for someone with kids.

• Park Slope is great.  if you can swing living in Manhattan, Battery Park city is awesome - a great place for stroller walking with a newborn and a lot of playgrounds for the older child.  we live in the Financial District - not sure if it's cheaper or more expensive than battery park, but it's walking distance.  we really love where we live.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I second park slope, and if that is out of your price range Windsor Terrace is right next to South Slope and still very nice/family oriented. Not quite as few nearby amenities.
  • I'm out in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn and love it.  Super safe, tons of families, lots of restaurants and WAY less expensive (but still really pretty neighborhoods) than Park Slope which is very trendy. 

Me: 39 DH: 35 - TTC #1 since October 2010
    BFP #1 2-1-11 Missed Miscarriage 3-14-11(9 wks)-D&C
    BFP #2 9-17-11 EDD 5-29-12
    Edward James born 3-14-12 weighing 1lb11oz at 29w1d via c section due to low fluid and growth restriction from crappy placenta.
    My BFP Chart
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers <a href="http://s1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/sbphotos1/?action=view
  • I think you should also look in the upper east side area. Right now the farther east you go from the subway stops you'll find better pricing. If you want to look at other areas... bronxville is not in NYC and you'd have to take a train into the city. Park Slope is a great area for families, Windsor Terrace as well, Prospect Park, Cobble Hill. Astoria in queens is also a great option. Bay Ridge I have heard great things but could be a bit of a commute for your husband to NYU and so could Ditmas Park (i think ditmas is up and coming). If you're into Brooklyn I would also recc Fort Green area. I actually was a nanny for a baby for 1 1/2 yrs and we went to the park, playgroups at local places, library on Fridays for story time/playgroup, etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • NYU the college or the hospital? If it's the hospital, the most convenient for him will be Grammercy and Murray Hill, but both areas are young and may not be best for a family. If it was me, I'd want to stay in the City. Brooklyn is a short hop and skip away, but if you can afford to live in Tribeca or UES or UWS then I'd do it. When you visit, have him take a few test runs from different areas for his commute and see which one is most convenient.
  • imageGirlWithTheMostCake:
    NYU the college or the hospital? If it's the hospital, the most convenient for him will be Grammercy and Murray Hill, but both areas are young and may not be best for a family. If it was me, I'd want to stay in the City. Brooklyn is a short hop and skip away, but if you can afford to live in Tribeca or UES or UWS then I'd do it. When you visit, have him take a few test runs from different areas for his commute and see which one is most convenient.

My DH is at the hospital and Murray Hill/Gramercy is like the best kept secret in NYC. It has a reputation of being only recent college grads but it is actually a fantastic place to raise a family and relatively affordable (by Manhattan standards).  I have a 6 year old and a 3 year old and I've lived here for 7 years.  

ETA: I've also lived in the West Village and Chelsea so I have points of comparison. 

• I second the Battery Park suggestion. It is a great place for families with tons of parks, museums, and activities for you and your family. I currently live in Riverdale but we have been looking into finding an apartment there. Also my girlfriend just told me that there is a brand new school that just opened there one of the only schools in the area that takes infants. Is called The Learning Experience. Hope this information helps.
  • Thank you so much for all of your thoughtful replies. I see some trends here - we have a lot to think about. 

To answer a previous question - NYU hospitals in the east 30's. I think we will be looking at Gramercy and Murray Hill because of the proximity to the hospital. It's good to know that I'm hearing from multiple sources how it's a great place for young families.  

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Peeper Summarized
  • We live on the Upper East Side, great neighborhood and I always feel safe. It is quite expensive, even though we inherited our townhouse and don't have to pay the mortgage. I did live in Morningside Heights when I was taking a summer class at Columbia. It was a nice neighboorhood and I didn't have any problems. A great park across from my apartment and a stones throw from Columbia. For crime reports check this website.

https://www.crimereports.com/

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I grew up on the Upper East Side and it was great. I now live in Forest Hills, Queens and it is a very family friendly neighborhood. Good schools, lots of playgrounds and kids. Easy access by LIRR and subways. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"