C-sections

c section and positive for strep B

Hi ladies, i will be having a c section and i just tested positive for Strep B:-( How did your ob address this issue? Were you given antibiotics thru IV before C section?

Re: c section and positive for strep B

• At my practice, if you're GBS+, they don't do anything if you're having a c/section unless your water breaks and you're going into labor. They said only if your water breaks and there is a very slight risk of fluids mixing.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 4/9/09 - Chloe, our angel twin Lilypie First Birthday tickers>
  • I had a scheduled csection and had antibiotics before delivery.
  • Loading the player...
  • I tested pos last time, I know I was given antibiotics afterwards, I really can't remember if I had it before my c/s. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersimage Photobucket
  • I had the antibiotics in my IV because they were trying to induce me before deciding to do an emergency c/s. I don't know my doctor's policy about antibiotics for a scheduled c/s. I guess that is a question I will probably be asking when we have another child.
    DD1: May 2011
    DD2: February 2014

• Everyone gets IV antibiotics before c/s, as it is major surgery, so GBS status doesn't matter.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Im an OB nurse and if you are GBS pos and your water doesn't break then there is no reason for you to have IV abx for this.  However, you will receive the usual prophylactic dose of antibiotics they give just for surgery.
  • I tested positive for strep B with both my pregnancies. The first I went into labor and was given iv antibiotics. I ended up having an emergency c-sec due to fetal distess. My second was a scheduled c-sec. I was so mad because I wanted to have a vbac and was denied due to hospital and doctor regulations even though it had been 6 yrs since my last c-sec and absolutely no complications during pregnancy. Anyhow, I was given antibiotics with this last one as well. Just in case. Good luck with your delivery!Smile
  • imagelewis514:
    At my practice, if you're GBS+, they don't do anything if you're having a c/section unless your water breaks and you're going into labor. They said only if your water breaks and there is a very slight risk of fluids mixing.

Yep, I was GBS+ and had a planned c-section due to breech baby.  They didn't do anything.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had a c section and was gbs positive too and they didn't do anything.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"