Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Soy Formula & Gray Poop, Possibily Constipated??

I have been weening my daughter for about a week now and I have her on soy based formula b/c i have suspected a milk sensitivity while breastfeeding. She seems like she might be constipated...it seems like she strains more to fart and is definitely more gassy. Also, her poop is now slate gray and very thick (i know breastfeeding exclusively there is always a difference)..but i'm wondering is this slate gray normal...because i've looked up the colors that it might be and gray was not one of them. I haven't tried the milk based formula...do you guys think i should give it a shot...maybe she's already outgrown her milk sensitivity (she's almost 3 1/2 months now). do your formula fed babies have the same traits and what kind of formula do you use?? thanks for your help

Re: Soy Formula & Gray Poop, Possibily Constipated??

• Yes - I had DD on soy after weaning her thinking she had a milk sensitivity.  She was very constipated by the soy.  I switched her on to the Sensitive (Similac) and her poops are much better and she's not bothered by the milk anymore.  Both girls grew out of the sensitivity at around 3-4 months.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It also depends on the brand of soy. We had tried soy with my LO due to his allergy and with one brand (Similac), no poo issues (although the color was like you described) but with another brand (Enfamil), holy moly, we had terrible constipation.
  • Loading the player...
  • hmmmm...yeah she's on the Enfamil....so maybe i should try one of the samples of the regular formula or try the soy Similac?

• Yeah I probably would. They generally say to let it go 10 days prior to switching but with the Enfamil Prosobee, we switched after two or three days because the constipation was horrific. Each baby is going to respond differently to different types and brands, but I will never touch that Prosobee stuff again lol.
  • ProSoBee stopped my son up for weeks! The color was like a gray/green and it was a hard pellet that he had to work for. We switched to Gerber Good Start Gentle and he's a pooping machine now! I will say the color is slate gray, but the consistency is right, he's regular, and he's not gassy at all. Pedi says it's totally normal.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"