C-sections
Options

any advice for a first time mom?

Okay so I have a leaky valve in my heart and have had 2 heart attacks by my 21st birthday. I was just recovering from finding all my issues when I learned I had lung issues as well and swelling problems in my ribs. So in the middle of cardiologist appts and treatments for swelling in my chest wall I found out I was pregnant. The swelling makes my lungs only work at 60-70% and my heart has a hard time pumping enough blood for both of us.

Now the OB assured me that little Taggart would get as much blood and oxygen that he needs and I am the one who will get deprived. I'm okay with that as long as my baby boy is healthy. In the targeted ultrasound they realized that I have polyhydramnios so they were waiting for a slow leak to start that way I wouldn't have to deliver early. So Im getting close to my due date and I have not developed a leak which makes me believe I will be delivering early.

Now my concern is that my cardiologist told me he was feeling comfortable with me trying to go naturally but I feel as though thats a huge risk I don't think I can take( and I just found out he has stopped practicing with no warning so I have to find a new heart doc too!). I don't think my heart could handle it and feel that I know my limits better than he does. 

Would you opt for a c-section when they are letting you choose? If you felt like something was going to go seriously wrong if you went natural would you ask for a c-section or no? Im so torn because I want a natural but in the end I need to look at whats best for me and the baby. What would you do?

Help please! haha 

Re: any advice for a first time mom?

• Options

I would find a new cardiologist ASAP. You have to make this decision with the advice of a health care practitioner who is familiar with your history.

Remember there are pretty major risks with a c/s as well. There is anesthesia, being cut open, the recovery, swelling.  It isn't risk versus no risk. It is which risk is best for your circumstances. You have to look at the risks both ways and make a decision.

Good luck!   

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    imagepepomntpat:

I would find a new cardiologist ASAP. You have to make this decision with the advice of a health care practitioner who is familiar with your history.

Remember there are pretty major risks with a c/s as well. There is anesthesia, being cut open, the recovery, swelling.  It isn't risk versus no risk. It is which risk is best for your circumstances. You have to look at the risks both ways and make a decision.

Good luck!   

Absolutely.  You definitely need to weigh the pros and cons of both options. What does your OB think?   

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My doctors suggested a repeat c-section (I had one 16 months ago).  I felt that I could chose to go VBAC as well, but I didn't because just like you, I wasn't willing to risk it.  A c-section is no walk in the park, but I felt safer that way.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

one option would be to plan to do natural - but know t hat a c-section is an option - but I'm with the rest of the girls, talk to your docs and come up with a plan.  Make sure they know your concerns and what you think your limits are.  Come up with a list of pros and cons and see which one makes you more comfortable. 

Good luck with your decision!!

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"