May 2011 Moms
Options

Is it the supply?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb Q...

I posted asking if anyone was still EBF wanting to get a sense how often and how much LOs eat since I'm wondering if DS is really starving and maybe we need to start solids....

I used to pump all the time trying to build a stash for when I went back to work, I never did, I decided to stay home. So I had lots of frozen BM and I would occasionally pump at my PT job on the weekends and I would get easily up to 8 oz combined. But of course I started to run low so decided to start pumping again to have a little for when DH stays with DS. It has been at least two hours since DS went to bed and I pumped and only got a measly 2 oz combined!

Can it be that the reason LO is eating so frequently right now (day and night) be a supply issue? Bless your heart for replying and I apologize if I'm a pain with all my frequent questions Tongue Tied

Re: Is it the supply?

• Options

I think alot of people have a slow time around 5 months. I did. I did everything to build my supply back up. Feungreek, mothers milk tea, oatmeal, olvaltine, nutragrain bars, warm compresses and I nurse as much as possible when Caitlin is with me. I did build it back up. Right now my daughter is going thru a growth spurt. she is eating food as well. we started her on solids at 4 months and she has been doing great. this week she is still going thru a growth spurt and wanting to wake every 2-3 hours at night. I think it might just be your little one going thru a growth spurt and wanting to bf more and this would mean that you will not get alot out of pumping cause your little one is bf more than he/she does on a regular basis. 

I would try not to worry and bf as much as possible and pump when you cannot bf this way you can keep up with the supply and demand of how your milk comes in.  

Anniversary

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Is your baby peeing a normal amount? If the diapers are filling, the milk supply is fine.

As baby gets older, supply regulates to meet demand fairly closely. If you don't normally nurse at the time you tried to pump, it's normal to not get much. 

My baby was eating small amounts around the clock (from about 3 months until about 2 weeks ago). I finally decided to stretch the time between night feeds - I'd offer a paci and try to put him off for a bit to move from feeding every 1-2 hours back to every 3-4 hours. He started eating longer when I did feed him, and being more interested during the day. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"