Baby Names
Options

Opinions.

I really love the name Ryeleigh Marie for a girl, I just have this feeling deep down I am going have a little princess. What do you ladies think of the name?

I also have some boy names picked out just in case. :)

BabyFruit Ticker image image image

Re: Opinions.

• Options

To be blunt - IMHO, Riley is primarily a dog's name, secondarily, it's a boy's name.

The spelling Ryeleigh is bad.  If you like Riley, spell it that way. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Honestly, I like Riley but not spelled like you are spelling it... looks like Rye bread to me and too mushy. I like Riley Marie even though it is a little sing-songy because it sounds girly and cute.

Riley (and NN sounding names) are not really my style but I would find another spelling for it.

Me- 28 DH- 36 Diagnosis- MFI IVF baby #1- DD, 2 years old MC at 6 weeks in Feb 2011 (FET) IVF #2- BFP! IVF baby #2- DD, 4 months old
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm not a big fan of the name Riley, especially for a girl. It just sounds too masculine to me. But if you really like it, please spell it Riley. Ryeleigh is terrible.
  • Options
    I would also suggest spelling it Riley, and I think the name is okay, but if YOU love it then use it.  FWIW I have never met a dog name Riley, and I think that is a bad argument.  Also, I think Riley is has been taken over by girls.  If I hear that name, I automatically think its a girl.
    photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thank you ladies! I have lots of names I am throwing around and still trying to get the boyfriend on board of picking names and getting that part out of the way.

I appreciate all the opinions. :)

• Options
    I LOVE the name Riley Marie, but I prefer the spelling either Riley or Ryleigh. I would just get rid of the first E. To me it separates the name into Rye-leigh when you look at it. I would go with Ryleigh Marie. I like that one a lot :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think boy when I hear Riley, but I do know of a few girl Riley's.  If you use the name, please spell it correctly.
    *BFP 11/3/07*J born 07/06/08*
    *BFP 10/15/11*CP 10/18/11*
    *BFP 2/1/12*EDD 10/14/12*natural M/C 2/24/12 7w*
    *BFP 5/2/12*E born 01/03/13 (her due date)
  • Options

When I hear Riley, I think boy, but I like it for a girl, too.  I'm not sure I like the spelling you have there.  I'm also not a fan of changing spellings or adding a y, but I like the Ryleigh spelling someone mentioned.  If I saw that spelling, I'd know for sure your LO is a girl.  I'm not sure that even matters to you cuz I've seen Riley for both boy and girl. 

imageimageimage
  • Options
    imagemj.reilly:

imagePearl16:
    I'm not a big fan of the name Riley, especially for a girl. It just sounds too masculine to me. But if you really like it, please spell it Riley. Ryeleigh is terrible.

This.

I like Riley for its original use (boy), but it is definitely NMS for a girl. I would assume boy due to my association.

Riley Marie flows fine.

No comment on Ryeleigh. I have nothing good to say.

All of this.

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    You can't be for real. Pretty sure you child isn't royalty, and she won't be a princess.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options

imagemsmerymac:
    You can't be for real. Pretty sure you child isn't royalty, and she won't be a princess.

I wasn't saying princess as in royalty, I was saying princess as in a GIRL as opposed to a boy. Thank you. I know for a fact she won't be royalty, if it is a girl. 

• Options
    image526SadieSadie:

To be blunt - IMHO, Riley is primarily a dog's name, secondarily, it's a boy's name.

I agree with all of this. Plus, the name Riley will not age well at all. I could never picture it on a grown up, successful woman.

My furchildren, Dorothy and Johnny :)
  • Options
    And I'm saying princess =/= girl. God, I hope for her sake she isn't a tomboy.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options

imagemsmerymac:

I'm all for a bit of snark, or calling someone out, but this comment has 'I'm a big jerk' written all over it. What crawled up your bum mmm?

To the OP. I think the Riley, spelled this way is a fine name. It wouldn't be my first choice, but I'm certainly far from hating it.

Edit: and now I see you're digging yourself a deeper hole. Calling your little girl a princess is a figure of speech. FFS lay off.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I don't mind the name Riley, but please spell it correctly.
  • Options
    imagecouliegirl:

imagemsmerymac:

I'm all for a bit of snark, or calling someone out, but this comment has 'I'm a big jerk' written all over it. What crawled up your bum mmm?

To the OP. I think the Riley, spelled this way is a fine name. It wouldn't be my first choice, but I'm certainly far from hating it.

Thank you. 

• Options

imagemsmerymac:

Oh for heaven's sake, she was just romanticizing the idea of having a little girl.  By the by, tomboys can still be called "princesses", the two are not mutually exclusive.

• Options
    image526SadieSadie:

imagemsmerymac:

Oh for heaven's sake, she was just romanticizing the idea of having a little girl.  By the by, tomboys can still be called "princesses", the two are not mutually exclusive.

Agreed! I have a little cousin that is a HUGE tomboy and even came out recently to our family as a lesbian but her parents still see her as a princess seeing how she is their "little girl"

• Options

There's virtue in simplicity.  If you want the name to age well at all and for you/her not to have to correct the spelling all the time, stick with Riley.  I would especially avoid that first e unless you want the name to be pronounced with three syllables and/or you have a certain fondness for pumpernickel.  Riley is still NMS, but Ryeleigh is just trying waaaaay too hard to be cute.

DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Options
    I like the spelling of Riley.

B.R.C. 5/08-- N.R.C. 5/10--S.R.C. 3/14
  • Options

First off, that spelling is atrocious. If you like Riley, please spell it correctly.

Second, Riley isn't a girls name to me but I know it's trending that way.

Overall, Ryeleigh Marie is awful but Riley Marie is somewhat tolerable.

* DS1...allergic to dairy, peanuts, eggs and turkey *

love is for every her, love is for every him, love is for everyone
  • Options
    I agree with most PP's I really dislike the spelling.. I would prefer Riley.  I am not a fan of the name but would much rather see it on a girl than a boy. 
  • Options

imagemsmerymac:

Wow seriously??  I totally brush off b*tchy comments about names since this is an actual name board and people are (presumably) asking for opinions but this is just rude...

• Options
    image526SadieSadie:

This exactly....imagine a lawyer or doctor named Ryeleigh....see, you can't picture it!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Honestly, I wasn't even sure of how to pronounce that before I read the responses.  And I'm a very well educated person. 

Given that it's "Riley" I can say that I really don't like this name for a boy or girl, but it's even worse for a girl.  I would only use it on a dog.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I like Riley for a boy, but not for a girl.  And Ryeleigh is a really, really awful misspelling of the name.
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options

imagemsmerymac:

I actually agree with this.  I don't like it when people refer to their daughters as princesses just because they're little girls, just because it's gender stereotyping.  Then again, I suppose that me saying that Riley is a boy's name is doing the same thing.

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options

imagemsmerymac:

Ouch...fairly certain there's some underlying issues buried hereConfused

• Options
    imagecapulet:

There's virtue in simplicity.  If you want the name to age well at all and for you/her not to have to correct the spelling all the time, stick with Riley.  I would especially avoid that first e unless you want the name to be pronounced with three syllables and/or you have a certain fondness for pumpernickel.  Riley is still NMS, but Ryeleigh is just trying waaaaay too hard to be cute.

Haha! I agree with all of this. I dislike the name in general, but if you chose to use it, I would really (realleigh?) suggest sticking with the original spelling.

• Options
    I strongly dislike Riley for either sex, especially the way you have it spelled.  It looks like "ry-eh-lee."
  • Options
    imagemj.reilly:

imagePearl16:

This.

I like Riley for its original use (boy), but it is definitely NMS for a girl. I would assume boy due to my association.

Riley Marie flows fine.

No comment on Ryeleigh. I have nothing good to say.

All of this! 

• Options
    imagecouliegirl:

imagemsmerymac:

Edit: and now I see you're digging yourself a deeper hole. Calling your little girl a princess is a figure of speech. FFS lay off.

Yes 

• Options

You could spell it 'Reily' to make it a bit more girly, but the 'rye' thing is not so great.  Or what about Rileigh?  Just some thoughts!

Good luck with your choice!

p.s. I like this name. :) 

• Options

imagePearl16:

this

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • Options

I'm not sure which is more unappealing to me, the fact that you're referring to your fetus as a "little princess" or the horrible spelling you've chosen of Riley.

P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • Options
    imagePhilsWife07:

I'm not sure which is more unappealing to me, the fact that you're referring to your fetus as a "little princess" or the horrible spelling you've chosen of Riley.

I'm with her 

• Options
    imagekacelle:

imagemsmerymac:

I actually agree with this.  I don't like it when people refer to their daughters as princesses just because they're little girls, just because it's gender stereotyping.  Then again, I suppose that me saying that Riley is a boy's name is doing the same thing.

That's exactly what I was getting at. A personal nickname used at home? Wouldn't be my choice due to the stereotyping, but that's one thing. Announcing something like that to a message board full of strangers before you know anything about your child's personality or even if you're having a girl? Eyeroll-worthy.

my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    imagePhilsWife07:

Have to agree... 

And have to add that I think Riley is horrible for either sex.

VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    imagemsmerymac:
    imagekacelle:

imagemsmerymac:

That's exactly what I was getting at. A personal nickname used at home? Wouldn't be my choice due to the stereotyping, but that's one thing. Announcing something like that to a message board full of strangers before you know anything about your child's personality or even if you're having a girl? Eyeroll-worthy.

I think you are blowing this way out of proportion. You could have made your opinion known with out coming off as so offensive.

And may I point out that at least 50% of baby girl clothes have "mommy's little princess" or "daddy's little princess" plastered all over them? If it bothered everyone so much then little girls would be stuck wearing neutral colors. 

ETA: What are you gonna dress your DD in (if you have a girl)? And all of the "little princess" clothes I got were a gift.  People like buying that kind of cutsie stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"