May 2011 Moms

Anyone still EBFing?

I am. And I was wondering if you still are, how long does LO typically nurses for and how often. I know it's different for each child, but I'm curious because lately DS has only been nursing for about 10 minutes and is very, very distracted and so he wants to eat more frequently. At night too, since last weekend he is waking up almost every hour to nurse again for only 10 min. What's your nursing sessions like?

ETA: I know I've been posting a lot lately. I promise not to post any crazy stuff like gbaby so don't start ganging up on me please! :)

Re: Anyone still EBFing?

• By EBF do you mean you aren't doing solids?

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am.  I work full time, so most days she nurses once in the a.m. for about 10 minutes; once after daycare for 10-15 minutes; and once before bed for about 20ish minutes.  She switches to comfort nursing after about 15 though, and I let her.  In addition, she gets 3 bottles at daycare (about 4 oz each, give or take) and solids (rice cereal, oatmeal, and/or veggie) twice per day.

DD has also been waking about every 3 hours at night to nurse Tongue Tied I think it is a combo of being both truly hungry and also for comfort.  She has a cold right now and I think her cough is waking her, although previously we were still up at least once, more often twice per night to nurse.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageAZ123:

By EBF do you mean you aren't doing solids?

Yes, no solids, nothing.

• imageToBeMrsC6907:

I am.  I work full time, so most days she nurses once in the a.m. for about 10 minutes; once after daycare for 10-15 minutes; and once before bed for about 20ish minutes.  She switches to comfort nursing after about 15 though, and I let her.  In addition, she gets 3 bottles at daycare (about 4 oz each, give or take) and solids (rice cereal, oatmeal, and/or veggie) twice per day.

DD has also been waking about every 3 hours at night to nurse Tongue Tied I think it is a combo of being both truly hungry and also for comfort.  She has a cold right now and I think her cough is waking her, although previously we were still up at least once, more often twice per night to nurse.

But you are doing some solids too, we're not doing solids yet. So I'm wondering if he's just really hungry meaning time to introduce some solids.

• We are not doing solids yet either and DS stopped sleeping through the night at 4 months and has not gone back. Last night was not good at all, he work up 4 times when he normally only wakes up 2 times to nurse. He is a little over 5.5 months so I am thinking it might be time to introduce some solids.
    DS1 5/15/11
    DS2 12/20/12
  • imageSteph&Harry08:
    imageToBeMrsC6907:

I am.  I work full time, so most days she nurses once in the a.m. for about 10 minutes; once after daycare for 10-15 minutes; and once before bed for about 20ish minutes.  She switches to comfort nursing after about 15 though, and I let her.  In addition, she gets 3 bottles at daycare (about 4 oz each, give or take) and solids (rice cereal, oatmeal, and/or veggie) twice per day.

But you are doing some solids too, we're not doing solids yet. So I'm wondering if he's just really hungry meaning time to introduce some solids.

Whoops, sorry...

Maybe!  Is he showing any other signs?  DD definitely was so we decided to give it a try and she's been doing great.  Honestly I wasn't really wanting to start solids at all but so far so good.

• I am sorry, I did not completely answer the question. He eats every two to three hours (usually depending on how distracted he was at the last feeding and if he took a nap or not) and eats for about 10-15 minutes.
    DS1 5/15/11
    DS2 12/20/12
  • Lila was EBF until we started solids last Friday.  She nurses at 8am, 12pm, and 4pm for 20 minutes, then at 8pm (bedtime) for 20 minutes on each side (40 minutes total).

I found about 6 weeks ago that she started getting really distracted, but wanted to eat every two hours.  I slowly stretched her to four hours between feedings, and now she eats enough to last that long.  I would guess a fair amount of her nursing is for comfort, but she's still swallowing, so I let her stay on for 20 minutes.

ETA: Lila only gets up once, maybe twice a night to eat.  Usually overnight I only let her eat for 10 minutes.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Until 10 days ago, I was. E would eat every 2-2.5 hours for about 5-7 mns. He stopped going for longer stretches of sleep at night. I brought him to the pedi to make sure he wasn't sick after 2 nights of sleeping in only 30 mn intervals. She mentioned it might be time to try solids. I wasn't going to do it before 6 mos., but figured it was worth a try. We started with rice cereal which made him super gassy. Now we are on oatmeal and he seems to really like it.
  • K is nursing for around 10-15 minutes and is easily distracted.  As soon as DH or anyone walks in the room and starts talking he turns his head.  Thus, he is eating more frequently.  I almost wonder if he's just nursing for comfort, but once he observes what else is going on in the room, he turns right back to the breast.
    218806_0122 - Copy2011-10-239513.10.15 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • C is still EBF.  She was STTN from 2 months until about 2 weeks ago and then she started getting up once to nurse. She usually eats in about 10 minutes, but sometimes would get distracted and only be on for 5 or less minutes.  This is still happening, but she has not fed during the night since Sunday.  She will wake up, but I have just been giving her a nuk and she back to sleep.
    DD 5/23/11 - DS 11/20/12 - BFP 1/10/16; EDD 9/22/16
    BabyFetus Ticker

valentines day sexy justin bieber heart 2011
  • I've tried offering solids, and he's having none of it so we're still EBF.

He peaked for sleeping around 3 months when he would go 4-6 hours when he went down. Around then he regressed and started waking every 1-2 hours. That went until 5 days ago, when we started sleep training both to get him to go to sleep alone (again, he used to) and to space out feedings. I'm aiming to only feed him every 4+ hours overnight and he's definitely picked up the focus on the day feeds again. He eats every 2-3 hours during the day since I spaced the night feeds. He was going 3-4 hours during the day, which sucked because it made him hungry overnight. 

I got tired of just waiting it out after 3 months of waiting and no change.

• I still EBF.  DD only nurses for 10 minutes or so at each daytime feeding and wakes 2-3 times a night to nurse (she used to STTN, but hasn't for a few weeks now).  I've upped her bottle size when she gets BM with DH and at daycare to 5.5-6 ounces (rather than 4.5) and she seems to be spacing her feedings out to every 3 hours or so now.  I'm hoping that when she starts on solids later this month that she'll go to a 3 hour routine during the day and STTN.  
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • I don't EBF- LO gets oatmeal cereal once a day and gets a bottle of formula at night as I have supply issues.

But- LO is nursing for about 15-20 minutes total now, 5-10 minutes per side (usually one side for 5 minutes and the other for 10 minutes).  He nurses about every hour still with a few 2 hour breaks during the day. If I take him out and distract him, he has gone 3 hours before. 

• I am.  She nurses in the morning before work (6am), gets three bottles of pumped milk at daycare, nurses at night before bed (7pm) and then sleeps through the night. She takes about 10 minutes each time.

On weekends I don't give her bottles at all and she wants to nurse more often for shorter amounts of time.

• imagelcriordan:

I am.  She nurses in the morning before work (6am), gets three bottles of pumped milk at daycare, nurses at night before bed (7pm) and then sleeps through the night. She takes about 10 minutes each time.

On weekends I don't give her bottles at all and she wants to nurse more often for shorter amounts of time.

How big are the bottles that you're giving?  This is a schedule I would love DD to be on! 

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • S was EBF until about a week ago when we started solids... She has had avocado, bananas, & rice cereal so far. As far as STTN, she did it consistently from about 6 weeks to 4 months. From 4 months to 5 months, she was up every 3-4 hours overnight. And now for the past few weeks, she has been doing better but it's still unpredictable. One night, she will go 10 hours straight with no wake-ups and the next night, she might wake 3 times overnight. During the day, she has 5 minute meals at breast probably every 2 hours.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• My baby is still EBF. She's nursed for about 10 minutes, one side per feeding, every 2-3 hours since she was born, nothing has changed so far.
    daughter born June 2011 via C-Section, son born November 2012 via VBAC
  • We attempted to introduce solids over the weekend and she did not like it, so we are taking a break again before we try again, or in other words when I'm not busy and have time to make something/decide what to try next ha.

She eats around 730, 930, 11, 230 (bottle), 430, 6, 7pm and then usually wakes twice at night somewhere between 1 and 2 and somwhere between 3 and 6.  Andsometimes she wakes at 11pm and then at 5 am.  I never know when I go to bed when I will be waking ha.

She eats anywhere between 10-20 minutes.  At night when she is awake I let her go no longer than 10 minutes. Sometimes it's only for comfort and she falls asleep quickly anyway.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagetokenhoser:

I've tried offering solids, and he's having none of it so we're still EBF.

He peaked for sleeping around 3 months when he would go 4-6 hours when he went down. Around then he regressed and started waking every 1-2 hours. That went until 5 days ago, when we started sleep training both to get him to go to sleep alone (again, he used to) and to space out feedings. I'm aiming to only feed him every 4+ hours overnight and he's definitely picked up the focus on the day feeds again. He eats every 2-3 hours during the day since I spaced the night feeds. He was going 3-4 hours during the day, which sucked because it made him hungry overnight. 

I got tired of just waiting it out after 3 months of waiting and no change.

Same with DS but he peaked around 4.5 months, shortly after we deswaddled. It was wonderful, he was placed completely awake in his pnp he would fall asleep on his own withing 5-10 min no fussing, sleep for 4-6 hrs stretches. He has always had some good days/weeks but never like right now. Last night he was up every hour again. even naps are all over the place, yesterday he took two, two hour naps! he was a 30 minute napper!

Oy! I guess I'll have to think about to think about sleep training for nights eeek!

To all posters: thank you all for your replies. We'll try cereal tomorrow and we'll see how it goes! wish us luck!

• I am still EBFing.  I think we are going to try our first solids this weekend.

I honestly don't pay that much attention to the clock.  I think he nurses like 10-15 minutes every few hours?  He nurses more when he is tired because he still likes to fall asleep on the boob (sigh). 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We are still EBFing. On the days I am home with her all day she will eat every 2 hours form 10 minutes or less. On the days I work she only eats 5 times and it can be up to 6 hours between meals. On these days she will nurse for 20 minutes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"