Hawaii Babies

random poll - playground swings

If you're at a playground and you see a half bucket child's swing like this:

How do you put your child in the swing?

[Poll]
* the artist formerly known as redshoegirl *
life in oz

Re: random poll - playground swings

• I voted for either way.  Before she knew how to swing herself I used to just have her lean forward so if that was still the case I'd want her legs in the holes.  Actually, now that I think about it, I'd probably feel safer with her legs in the holes just because it seems more secure and she wouldn't slide down.
  • imagesanae78:
    I voted for either way.  Before she knew how to swing herself I used to just have her lean forward so if that was still the case I'd want her legs in the holes.  Actually, now that I think about it, I'd probably feel safer with her legs in the holes just because it seems more secure and she wouldn't slide down.

Interesting! I always put the boys in the opposite way, and assumed that was the correct way to do it (some swings even have "place back here" or something similar embossed in the plastic seat). 

life in oz

• Loading the player...
  • I think your way is the right way. I've never actually seen these swings. Ours have the same leg holes on both sides.
  • We don't have swings like that here, and if we did, I don't think I'd let him use them.  He wiggles around and leans forward and back too much.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I just saw a swing like this for the first time this weekend.  If I had used it, I would have put her with her back to the holes & strap over the stomach, but it just made me too nervous so I waited for the complete bucket swing.  The was another little girl using it like I described & she was perfectly fine, but she seemed a lot calmer than my LO.
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I've never seen a swing like that either. It's really hard to find bucket swing seats around here, but when I have, they never have that chain going across. I've only ever seen ones that are all rubber, and have 4 holes, 2 in the front and 2 in the back. As such, I've always thought the legs go through the holes and probably would've put him in like that, especially so that he wouldn't slide out mid-swing.
  • imagelelekay:
    We don't have swings like that here, and if we did, I don't think I'd let him use them.  He wiggles around and leans forward and back too much.

Yeah, I wish they had the full bucket swings here, but these are the only kind I've ever seen in the areas I've lived in. I have been pleasantly surprised at how well Will and Dash do in them though - they're both wigglers/leaners, and we've never had a single about-to-fall-out scare. 

life in oz

• imagelelekay:
    We don't have swings like that here, and if we did, I don't think I'd let him use them.  He wiggles around and leans forward and back too much.

ditto - I wouldn't use that swing.  I don't think it's safe for him yet.

• imageMrsNJSwimmer:

imagelelekay:

LOL how about I rephrase the question...if you had swings like that at your local playground, and if your LO was old enough that you would let them use them, which way would you face your LO?  Stick out tongue

life in oz

• imagelorem ipsum:
    imageMrsNJSwimmer:

imagelelekay:

LOL how about I rephrase the question...if you had swings like that at your local playground, and if your LO was old enough that you would let them use them, which way would you face your LO?  Stick out tongue

:)

I probably would put the chain across his belly. 

• not sure I've seen one like that before..when I stopped to think about it, I thought, "well why are the holes there if they're not for the legs???" but then my 2nd thought was "well if the legs are in the hole then the chain goes around the back.... and that doesn't seem safe to me b/c the child has to lean back a lot when the swing swings!" ...........so that's why i answered with the chain across the belly.... b/c that way there is more support across the back and less chance of the child falling out :)

I've only ever put her in a full bucket swing, though.

• imagemrspresley:

not sure I've seen one like that before..when I stopped to think about it, I thought, "well why are the holes there if they're not for the legs???" but then my 2nd thought was "well if the legs are in the hole then the chain goes around the back.... and that doesn't seem safe to me b/c the child has to lean back a lot when the swing swings!" ...........so that's why i answered with the chain across the belly.... b/c that way there is more support across the back and less chance of the child falling out :)

I've only ever put her in a full bucket swing, though.

It is a weird design, isn't it? I don't know if the holes are to allow for water runoff, or for buttcheeks to hang out, or what. Stick out tongue

life in oz

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"