Hawaii Babies
Options

11/1: Health and Fitness Check-in

1. How are you feeling?

2. What are your current nutrition and exercise goals?

3. Did you meet your nutrition and exercise goals for the week?

4. Share at least one recent health- or fitness-related SUCCESS!

5. Optional weigh-in or progress monitor:

6. What is your favorite type of exercise

7. What is your nutrition/exercise weakness, and how do you deal with it?

8. It?s dinner time and you aren?t prepared to make anything fancy. What are your favorite relatively-healthy go-to meals?

9. What other questions would you like to add to future check-ins?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: 11/1: Health and Fitness Check-in

• Options

1. How are you feeling? Pretty good about myself - see weigh-in below!

2. What are your current nutrition and exercise goals? Sticking to my calorie limits and getting a bit of cardio exercise each day. Same ole, same ole!

3. Did you meet your nutrition and exercise goals for the week? Yup! It was nearly a perfect week! I say "nearly" because (aside from my cheat meal day) there was one day that I went over my caloric goal because I didn't end up exercising that day (the boys have been sick, so it's thrown our usual activity schedule out of whack).

4. Share at least one recent health- or fitness-related SUCCESS! I'm [thisclose] to getting out of the "very overweight" BMI category and into the regular "overweight" one. I know this might sound dumb to people who have never really struggled with their weight, but it's a big deal to me. Smile

5. Optional weigh-in or progress monitor: 190lbs! I'm now only 10lbs away from my intermediate goal of 180 - i.e., Lisa gets to buy new clothes. I'm aiming to reach this by Christmas so I can take advantage of the post-Christmas sales to get new gear. Cool

6. What is your favorite type of exercise? I love pilates and yoga. It kills me that there aren't any classes in my town. Yeah, I can do it at home, but it's just not the same, and I like having the instructor there to help make sure I'm doing the moves correctly. Sad

7. What is your nutrition/exercise weakness, and how do you deal with it? I don't have great self-control at restaurants or cafes. Brownie with my latte? Why sure! Stick out tongue Luckily we don't eat out much (like 1-2 times a month), so the problem kind of solves itself. If we ate out more frequently, I'd have to get my self-control together a bit better!

Related side note: when I'm tempted to be "bad" at home, I tell myself how proud I'll be later that day when I remember how I didn't blow my diet and eat XXX. It works surprisingly well! That proud feeling is so much better than the guilt I'd feel otherwise. Smile So I guess this is what I'd have to do if we ate out more as well.

8. It?s dinner time and you aren?t prepared to make anything fancy. What are your favorite relatively-healthy go-to meals? I like what I call "hidden veggie spaghetti". It's just regular spaghetti with meat sauce, but I finely grate several zucchini and carrots into the sauce (and sometimes chopped frozen spinach). It ends up being a very healthy and nutritionally balanced meal without much time or effort, and doesn't involve cooking a lot of extra sides. It's also a good way of disguising veggies if you, your DH or your LO aren't fond of them!

9. What other questions would you like to add to future check-ins? Do you find it more helpful to follow a diet plan that lays out what and when you need to eat (e.g., South Beach Diet), or to just eat in a way you consider balanced/reasonable?
    * the artist formerly known as redshoegirl *
    life in oz

• Options

1. How are you feeling? OK :)

2. What are your current nutrition and exercise goals? Clean eating and exercise 3x a week

3. Did you meet your nutrition and exercise goals for the week? Ehhhh... getting back on track nutritionally, but only getting 2 days a week of exercise in. I'm good about doing 3 mile walks around our hilly neighborhood twice a week, but haven't been consistent with adding in something different, like a spin or zumba class for extra cardio. I need to be better about that, because I always feel awesome after I do.

4. Share at least one recent health- or fitness-related SUCCESS! I'm making more of an effort to combine my exercise with activities that A enjoys, so he's not just "stuck" tagging along. We make stops at the park or, better yet, bring along bread to feed and hang out with the ducks at the marina. He now points to the jogging stroller and says "wah!" (walk). Maybe he'll encourage me to do it more frequently.

6. What is your favorite type of exercise? Probably spinning, although I haven't gotten my butt back to class since I was pregnant. The music, energy, and healthy competition are awesome and it's a great cardio workout. I also enjoy walking (fast pace with hills) since it's the easiest to do, LO can join, and it's usually always nice out. Hiking around here is also great, although I don't go alone. Ideally, I'd also like to do yoga once a week, because I love how it centers me and makes me aware of parts of my body that I often neglect. My dream workout schedule would be one spin class, one yoga class, and two days of walking. I have a ways to go to make that a routine, though.

Side note: Like Lisa, I also find that, because I'm not well trained, it's hard to effectively do yoga at home. I don't even go to the 24 Hour classes anymore because the instructors at my gym don't do a good enough job of helping you to learn positions and adjust along the way, which is too bad since classes at the yoga studio are pretty pricey.

7. What is your nutrition/exercise weakness, and how do you deal with it? I believe in everything in moderation and don't consider myself to be on a diet, so I think my main weakness is just giving in to being lazy -- either too lazy to prep a healthy meal or too lazy to get out and be active or too lazy to pack  some snacks so that I can avoid needing to buy something quick (and not-so-healthy) while on the road. Usually, if I do this enough, I'll start craving the good stuff again, which helps me get back on track. Ideally, though, I just need more consistent routines so that I don't even get to the craving stage. :)

8. It?s dinner time and you aren?t prepared to make anything fancy. What are your favorite relatively-healthy go-to meals? I'm in this position a lot because I'm not the best meal planner. I do a lot of quick pastas, like Lisa's recipe; eggs with veggies and cheese; ground pork and frozen mixed veggies with Maggi seasoning sauce over rice; organic ground beef and chili beans (quick chili); or salad and soup (I try to keep some frozen when I make big batches).

9. What other questions would you like to add to future check-ins?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

1. How are you feeling?

Blah. I've had some tummy issues, possibly from the coffee consumption?

2. What are your current nutrition and exercise goals?

Eat better, exercise 2-3x/week

3. Did you meet your nutrition and exercise goals for the week?

Not even close. Haven't worked out and had way too many treats in the last few days.  Our friend gave us pumpkin cookies, had some candy from Halloween, and I made pumpkin bread.  Bad idea.

4. Share at least one recent health- or fitness-related SUCCESS!

Well, I guess before last Saturday we did pretty well with meal planning and eating well for the week.

I'm so up and down.  I'm between 4-7 lbs from my goal/ideal weight.

6. What is your favorite type of exercise

I like going to the gym and doing mindless cardio where I can just zone out on the tv and not feel like I'm exercising.  I also like hiking because it's fun without feeling too much like exercise.  I guess I just like doing a variety of stuff.  Yoga is good, too.

7. What is your nutrition/exercise weakness, and how do you deal with it?

I've gotten lazy as far as exercise goes.  Nutritionally, I have no self control.  If something is in front of me that I like, I can't NOT eat it.  I don't deal with it.  HAHA.  This is where I need the most work.

8. It?s dinner time and you aren?t prepared to make anything fancy. What are your favorite relatively-healthy go-to meals?

We don't have any.  We usually just go out if we have nothing to eat at home.  We used to just cook some rice and make canned chili or spam.  So not healthy! 

One awesome quick meal I found was this salmon from Costco.  The pieces were individually wrapped and already seasoned with olive oil and spices.  I can't remember what exactly but it was good and you just microwave it for like 6 minutes.  I need to go back and buy more of that.  Check for those next time you go to Costco, Melissa.  (Lisa, do they have Costco in Oz?  I'm guessing no?) 

Trader Joe's also has good frozen tuna fillets and salmon that is already marinated, but you have to thaw it overnight.  It's just 12 min in the oven though, to cook.  Too bad there's no TJs in Hawaii!

• Options
    imagelola808:

6. What is your favorite type of exercise? Probably spinning, although I haven't gotten my butt back to class since I was pregnant. The music, energy, and healthy competition are awesome and it's a great cardio workout. I also enjoy walking (fast pace with hills) since it's the easiest to do, LO can join, and it's usually always nice out. Hiking around here is also great, although I don't go alone. Ideally, I'd also like to do yoga once a week, because I love how it centers me and makes me aware of parts of my body that I often neglect. My dream workout schedule would be one spin class, one yoga class, and two days of walking. I have a ways to go to make that a routine, though.

Side note: Like Lisa, I also find that, because I'm not well trained, it's hard to effectively do yoga at home. I don't even go to the 24 Hour classes anymore because the instructors at my gym don't do a good enough job of helping you to learn positions and adjust along the way, which is too bad since classes at the yoga studio are pretty pricey.

I'll go to spinning with you!  I have only gone a couple times but I really liked it.  I'm just too shame to go alone!  Same for any other classes.  Do you only go to the HK 24?  Do you ever take A to the kids club?  I'll even drive out there to go to a class with you.  Let's totally make it happen!  Big Smile

Oh, and would you ever consider trying CrossFit?  It's kinda hardcore but my cousin owns CrossFit 808 so I wanna go check it out.  I'm hoping/planning to do that twice a week.

• Options
    imagesanae78:
    (Lisa, do they have Costco in Oz?  I'm guessing no?)

They do, but only in Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra. When we still lived in Bathurst, we were planning on getting a membership at the Sydney or Canberra store (either of which was about a 3 hour drive) and making mega stocking up trips every 3-4 months, but now that we're 5-6 hours away that plan has been canned. *sob* It sounds lame, but Costco is one of the things I really miss from the States!

* the artist formerly known as redshoegirl *
    life in oz

• Options
    imagesanae78:

I'll go to spinning with you!  I have only gone a couple times but I really liked it.  I'm just too shame to go alone!  Same for any other classes.  Do you only go to the HK 24?  Do you ever take A to the kids club?  I'll even drive out there to go to a class with you.  Let's totally make it happen!  Big Smile

Oh, and would you ever consider trying CrossFit?  It's kinda hardcore but my cousin owns CrossFit 808 so I wanna go check it out.  I'm hoping/planning to do that twice a week.

Yep, I usually just go to the HK one. It's a nice facility and the treadmills overlook the marina! I've never taken A to the kids club. Once he befriends K, we should try to take them both. I don't think he'd enjoy going alone.

DH and I used to do Crossfit-inspired workouts and they are kinda nuts. I'd definitely try it, but it might be too intense for me. ;-)

• Options
    imagelola808:
    imagesanae78:

Yep, I usually just go to the HK one. It's a nice facility and the treadmills overlook the marina! I've never taken A to the kids club. Once he befriends K, we should try to take them both. I don't think he'd enjoy going alone.

DH and I used to do Crossfit-inspired workouts and they are kinda nuts. I'd definitely try it, but it might be too intense for me. ;-)

It might be too intense for me, too.  :P  My cousin is super hardcore.  Like placed 11th at the CF Games last year and 23rd this year.  But let's try it for sure!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"