Infertility
Options

Why do IVF meds cause weight gain?

And...why doesn't it seem to come off after you're done with ER?

Is it the estrogen that causes the weight gain? Is it fluid build up? I thought it was my imagination and caused my stress eating maybe, but I've seen other posters talk about weight gain. I just don't know the WHY? of it...

Over 40--"advanced maternal age" DH: male factor Getting ready for 2nd IVF.

Re: Why do IVF meds cause weight gain?

• Options

I think the bloat is WWG since it comes off very quickly. As for overall weight, I've actually lost weight on IVF cycles when I've made the effort to exercise and eat correctly. I don't think it's the meds per se but the level of stress that accompanies a cycle.

+++

You might benefit from using this SEARCH function. and I think if you have so many questions you may want to consider discussing matters with your clinic. It's what you're paying them for.

https://infertility-veterans.blogspot.com/p/search.html 

+++
  • Options
    After just going through my first IVF cycle, I am 4 pounds heavier...grrrr! I wish it came off as easily as it seemed go on!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageEdwina.McDunnough:

You might benefit from using this SEARCH function. and I think if you have so many questions you may want to consider discussing matters with your clinic. It's what you're paying them for.

https://infertility-veterans.blogspot.com/p/search.html 

Seriously. I politely asked you to do an intro and explain your situation in a little more detail, but you continue to just flood the board with questions. This is not going to make you many friends.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 
    After 22 cycles and 4 failed IUIs, Serafina joined our family through IVF/ICSI, born 8.28.12
    Our surprise baby, Juliette, is due 12.8.14!

• Options

Yikes! I'm so, so sorry. I'm a bit overly enthusiastic (and scared) about my upcoming cycle and just got some free time to post, so off to the races I went...I just discovered this great board. I wasn't sure if you just jump in or if you are all a close knit group that has been on the board for quite some time.. I only saw a couple of intros, so didn't think they were required or maybe I didn't look go back enough pages??  I'm truly sorry to have offended you.

I'm over 40 and we had our first IVF 3 years ago and then followed that up with an FET this past summer. Tried to recover quickly from the failed FET to get geared up for a second IVF.

We are OPP completely and have been prior, so it's a huge stressor right now in our lives. In fact, I have terrible insomnia because of it and it takes me over 2 hours to fall asleep, which leaves me even more time to stress. Not good.

Did BCP, Lupron, Follistim and Menopur 1st time, though I don't remember the details and can't find my notebook. I was on at least 8 days of follistim and menopur, but don't know if it was longer than that. Same protocol this time only a week shorter, I guess, with the Lupron phase. We're doing chromosome testing this time, so that is scary to me. What if no normals and there will now be proof of that? So, that will be followed up by another FET in the spring. This is our last IVF. It's all we can afford.

Taking all the supplements probably everyone is familiar with for fertility (DHEA, CoQ10, prenatal, inositol, wheatgrass, etc) and doing weekly acu and chinese herbs ( hope the expense is worth it!).

Just found out I am subclinical hypothyroid, but not wanting to take the meds since I feel they are a band aid. So, just re-testing at this point. Second test result was almost normal, but not normal for fertility range.  I think thyroid is more important for implantation, so since we are not doing a fresh cycle, I still have time to try to let my body get into gear on its own and hoping that acu and supplements help.

Not sure what else to mention as an intro.

I do have questions that have come up (as you can see), but we don't have our IVF meeting with our nurse until a couple of weeks. I just want to be sure I understand enough before we go in just in case I need to research some more stuff before the meeting. I don't want to seem like a pest/squeaky wheel and inundate her with emails that are not critical right now, as I know the nurses have a tremendous patient load.

So, that's my story. It's nice to meet you all, as I get to know you. I hope to learn more about what's going on in IVF since it's been a few years and to offer what I learn along the way as well.

Over 40--"advanced maternal age" DH: male factor Getting ready for 2nd IVF.
  • Options
    welcome! if it makes you feel better I didn't know there was a protocol for posting. I'm sorry if you didn't feel welcome. we are all here to support eachother! so ask away
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think I lost five pounds during my lupron/stim IVF month. I stopped drinking alcohol, though at this time, and I think that accounts for it. Oh I miss those empty calories!

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• Options
    I started my BCP in the middle of September and I started Lupron Oct 22. I don't weigh myself, so I'm not sure what my weight fluctuation is, but basically, I had munchies on Lupron, but on the stims my belly feels so bloated I haven't had much of an appetite. Whatever bloat I have going on is fluid, I'm sure. My boobs are huge and falling out of my bra. No matter the outcome of this cycle, I do hope the pain subsides, at the very least.
    Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • Options
    Thanks for the intro, lk - welcome to the board and good luck with your upcoming cycle!
    IUIs #1-3 (1x unmedicated, 2x Clomid) = 2 BFNs, 1 m/c at 7w3d
    IUIs #4-6 (injects) = 3 BFNs
    IVF #1 = BFN
    FET #1 = BFN
    FET #2 = BFN
    IVF #2 = BFP, b/g twins lost at 20w due to partial abruption/PPROM
    IVF #3 = c/p 5w2d
    Long-shot Clomid/Prednisone cycle before next IVF = BFP, our beautiful, healthy girl born 6/26/13!
    ~~
    TTC again March 2014
    FET #3 - May/June 2014
    -
    all embryos arrested before xfer - back to the drawing board...
    IVF #4 - July/August 2014 
    beta 1 (11dp3dt) 220, beta 2 (13dp3dt) 671, beta 3 (19dp3dt) 10762
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"