May 2011 Moms
Options

Flu shots!

Sorry if this has been gone over before.

Today A got her six month shots and the nurse said they don't do the flu shot at the same time because it poses a higher risk for spiking a fever, but if we want to get it done, just come back in sometime in the next few weeks.

I've never been one to get a flu shot myself and A isn't in daycare so she won't be around a bunch of other kids who might get sick.  I guess I just wonder how necessary the flu shot is because the nurse made it sound like "up to you, no big deal."  She's never had a bad reaction to any of her other vaccines so I don't think she would to the flu shot.

Will you be doing the flu vaccine?  If you have older kids, did you get it for them at six months?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Flu shots!

• Options

My pedi is doing ours at the same time as the 6 month shots. They also have to have a booster a month later.

I had mine 2 weeks ago. 

imageimageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

My kids are in daycare, so I'm a big proponent of getting the shot. I guess it's all about your comfort level knowing the risks of flu to an infant. DD will have hers done at her 6 month appt in a few weeks, and DS had his Flumist at his 3 year pedi appt a couple weeks ago.

With that said, my DS did not have one during his first year. He was born in October, and was home with a nanny/me for his entire 1st year, so I just didn't feel like it was necessary. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageeveram01:

My pedi is doing ours at the same time as the 6 month shots. They also have to have a booster a month later.

My boys got their flu shot at the same time as the 6 month shots.  They get their booster tomorrow.

Both boys ran fever on and off for 4 days, but they tend to fun fever after vaccines anyway.

Since the boys are preemies, I didn't really have an option about getting the flu shot.  Can't take the chance of them getting it.  Plus as a teacher, there is a HIGH likelihood of me bringing the virus home. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thanks, ladies!  We might end up having her get it since it seems it's a common thing.  I just think she doesn't have much of a chance of even contracting the flu.  Better safe than sorry though, right?

I guess what concerned me is that she just turned six months (she was born three weeks early) and that the vaccine is approved for six months +.  I just wonder what makes six months a magic age.  (Although I asked a nurse this and she said her guess was that it had never been tested on anyone younger than six months.)

• Options

I think my pedi gives it at the 6m appointment. If they don't, I'll ask when we can get it.  DH and I are going for ours this week.  Flu is bad news bears. 

I asked DH what he would rather get, a flu shot that stings for a second, or a pooping, throwing up baby for 2+ weeks.

.... He chose the shot ;) 

• Options
    i'll be getting the shot next week since i have to wait for my dumb ear infection to clear up.  the pedi said it takes 2-3 weeks for the antibodies to pass through my breast milk, so hopefully that will hold her over until she gets her shot next month at her 6 month check up...lol.  
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemrbear83:

I think my pedi gives it at the 6m appointment. If they don't, I'll ask when we can get it.  DH and I are going for ours this week.  Flu is bad news bears. 

I asked DH what he would rather get, a flu shot that stings for a second, or a pooping, throwing up baby for 2+ weeks.

.... He chose the shot ;) 

Just a general comment - the flu shot is for the respiratory illness, not what is typically known as the "stomach flu".  It causes fever, aches and pains, coughing, and sore throat.  It's not usually associated with vomiting or diarrhea.

• Options

We gave one to DD at her 6 mt appt (w/other shots) - I have a son in preschool... so he brings home germs.

I gave it to my son tho when he was a baby - just bc no one is in daycare/school does NOT mean you're in the clear. DH brings home crap from work... you go to Walmart and BLAM, flu. Anywhere is game.. even w/no school risk.

• Options
    imageJNBrickey:

Thanks, ladies!  We might end up having her get it since it seems it's a common thing.  I just think she doesn't have much of a chance of even contracting the flu.  Better safe than sorry though, right?

I guess what concerned me is that she just turned six months (she was born three weeks early) and that the vaccine is approved for six months +.  I just wonder what makes six months a magic age.  (Although I asked a nurse this and she said her guess was that it had never been tested on anyone younger than six months.)

If you are worried about her being 3 weeks early, you could get the flu shot 3 weeks later. On the other hand, preemies are vaccinated based on their actual age so my DD got her flu shot a week after her 6 month appointment and she was only 3 months adjusted. She did run a fever for several days but from what I gather, that's pretty typical for the flu shot. She had no problems with the booster last week.

• Options

DH and I already got our flu shot.

Owen will get his as soon after 6 months as he can.

The only reaction I ever get is a sore arm for a couple days. DH never has any reaction. We have no reason to think Owen will have a reaction. I've had the flu, and I could never wish that on my baby. I know it's not 100% protection (or even close), but I will take whatever better odds I can get. I also know it doesn't hurt (some shots burn, the flu shot doesn't).

• Options
    imagetokenhoser:

DH and I already got our flu shot.

Owen will get his as soon after 6 months as he can.

The only reaction I ever get is a sore arm for a couple days. DH never has any reaction. We have no reason to think Owen will have a reaction. I've had the flu, and I could never wish that on my baby. I know it's not 100% protection (or even close), but I will take whatever better odds I can get. I also know it doesn't hurt (some shots burn, the flu shot doesn't).

I got one last year, while pregnant, for the first arm and my arm hurt for a few days, too.  Most people I know who get it exhibit the same reaction.  Have you heard if that's a reaction in babies too?  Do they get it in their leg like other shots?

• Options

I would imagine soreness is a common reaction, but I don't have any research to back that up. I'm not sure if they get it in the leg, I just assume so. I should have been paying attention at the flu shot clinic I went to.

My DH is a teacher, so he tends to drag things home. I've been sick with a cold twice in the last month. As much as I'd like to play the "oh, I'll just wash my hands" game, I know that's not enough for us.

• Options
    For those of you that got the flu shot yourselves, did you go through your doc office or a pharm or what? My work usually does a flu clinic but not til later and I am hoping to get one this weekend.  I somehow flew through October and meant to do it then.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    My workplace has a flu shot clinic, but you can get them at the Walgreens pharmacy too.
    imageimageimage

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imagepinkflipflops44:
    For those of you that got the flu shot yourselves, did you go through your doc office or a pharm or what? My work usually does a flu clinic but not til later and I am hoping to get one this weekend.  I somehow flew through October and meant to do it then.

We're taking DS in for his 6 month appt next week and they're going to give us both the flu shot there. 

Most chain pharmacies offer them. Locally I've seen them advertised at Walgreen's, CVS, and Target.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"