Babies on the Brain
Options

Tonight was awful

We had clincals tonight for the first time. I was almost in tears there. We had to report the CNA that was training us. There was so much abuse and neglect. My heart hurts for those people.
                                       Http://Alwaysannaleigh.WordPress.com

Re: Tonight was awful

• Options
    Assisted living / nursing home? I'm sorry. I've seen it too, it's terrible. Just remember that you're making a difference.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    That's how our first rotation was at the VA. Seriously awful and depressing. I will never forget there was a guy there who had an anoxic brain injury after being shot in the head. The nurses kept insisting he was a total vegetable but after taking care of him for 30 min it was clear he was saying yes and no by blinking his eyes and even had a pretty intact sense of humor based on how he was answering stuff. The laziness of the staff about killed me and I still get sad thinking about it. Remember, you are making a difference while you are there.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageExcitedtostart:
    Assisted living / nursing home? I'm sorry. I've seen it too, it's terrible. Just remember that you're making a difference.

Nursing home. The lady in charge removed peoples call lights refused to help them then blocked the door so we couldn't help them. She gave us a 10 minute speech on how terrible a job it is and how we will ruin our lives doing it. Told the residents how there families didnt care about them they were just lazy and rude and ungrateful. I got home and I just cried I will never get this mans face out of my head pleading for help and her blocking the door. The only good thing is when I go back tonight she wont be there and I can actually help them. And charges are being filed.

____________________________________________________________________________
                          My sweet Rylee girl 8-13-2007 and my sweet Emmett man 4-13-2010
                               Annaleigh Willow Elise born and passed at 26 weeks 1 day
                                      Thursday October 17th 2013 from trisomy 13

• Options
    My first patient was a woman in her 90s who had recently broken her hip and was there to recuperate. She had lived at home independently until then, and taught courses at the local university on lost arts (chair caning I think). They told me she was antisocial, rude, never left her room, etc. Turns out, she was lively, lovely, and a total social butterfly. She never left her room because she was blind and she was afraid she would get lost. They had never given her a tour of the facility. And her roommate had severe parkinsons, couldn't move or speak, just made these terrible gasping noises from time to time. I took her around the place every day, we walked the same route with her touching the wall and counting steps so she knew where the family room, activity room, kitchen were. She said she missed having tea & toast in the evenings, so I found one of the staff who took her break at the same time she used to have tea and the two of them started having it together and watching Jeopardy. She was so fabulous, I can't believe she hadn't been out of her room until I got there. We also requested a more social roommate for her.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    imagekaydee_2008:

imageExcitedtostart:

Nursing home. The lady in charge removed peoples call lights refused to help them then blocked the door so we couldn't help them. She gave us a 10 minute speech on how terrible a job it is and how we will ruin our lives doing it. Told the residents how there families didnt care about them they were just lazy and rude and ungrateful. I got home and I just cried I will never get this mans face out of my head pleading for help and her blocking the door. The only good thing is when I go back tonight she wont be there and I can actually help them. And charges are being filed.

As a daughter with a mother in Long term care can I just say thank you. My mom is in a place that treats her very well, but I have heard the horror stories form other places.

It brings tears to my eyes that these people are being told their families don't care about them. The reason my mom is in long term care is because she has MS, and it has made her unable to fully care for herself and I was 18 years old and mothering my mom. I loved her so much that I did everything I could to keep her home - started work at 6am, cooked all meals for the family, cleaned, and eventually went to bed at midnight and was up at 4:30am to start all over again... It took a fire starting in my moms room for me to realize that she needed 24/hour care from a professional and not from her barely an adult daughter. God I hate people like those!!!

• Options
    imageboo-bitz:
    imagekaydee_2008:

imageExcitedtostart:

As a daughter with a mother in Long term care can I just say thank you. My mom is in a place that treats her very well, but I have heard the horror stories form other places.

It brings tears to my eyes that these people are being told their families don't care about them. The reason my mom is in long term care is because she has MS, and it has made her unable to fully care for herself and I was 18 years old and mothering my mom. I loved her so much that I did everything I could to keep her home - started work at 6am, cooked all meals for the family, cleaned, and eventually went to bed at midnight and was up at 4:30am to start all over again... It took a fire starting in my moms room for me to realize that she needed 24/hour care from a professional and not from her barely an adult daughter. God I hate people like those!!!

I'm so sorry you have had to go through all that. I can tell you though the nurse was fired yesterday and there will be criminal charges filed now.

____________________________________________________________________________
                          My sweet Rylee girl 8-13-2007 and my sweet Emmett man 4-13-2010
                               Annaleigh Willow Elise born and passed at 26 weeks 1 day
                                      Thursday October 17th 2013 from trisomy 13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"