March 2012 Moms
Options

Actually, I think I will still love my dog...

So I was just informed by my aunt that I'm not really going to love my dog anymore after the baby is born. Who says something like that, first of all? 

Second of all, of course Percy won't be "the baby" anymore. But he will always be my furbaby. We rescued him from the streets and he makes us laugh every day, and every night he snuggles against my stomach in our bed. I'm never going to not love my dog, no matter how preoccupied I will be with my son!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Actually, I think I will still love my dog...

• Options
    That's nuts.  Why wouldn't you love your dog anymore??  My dog is my baby.  I've had her for almost 6 years and no one could make me love her less.  If anything, I'm super excited to see her with our son.
  • Options
    I am in the same boat sister!  My two dogs are my furbabies!  I will love them no matter what... They're great around my neices and nephews and they make my life better!  I will still love my doggies and they will be an integral asset in losing some of this incredible baby weight with daily walks with the stroller and Mamma Bear!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Good for you! I treat my dogs like family members...I will not get rid of them.  Everyone says I will have to get rid of my chihuahua b/c she will bite my baby when it is a toddler.  I'm sorry, but the toddler will have to learn to leave the chihuahua alone and not bother her.  I'm not going to just get rid of a dog... anyway sorry that turned in to a rant but I love seeing posts like this.  You will still love your dog, but just not the same type of love as your child! :)
  • Options

She said "you'll see. Once the baby comes, a dog is just a dog."

...not to me. Pets are family members and deserve love and respect! Plus, my dog is GREAT with my nieces, so I'm sure he'll be great with Ethan. I grew up with two dogs who used to guard my crib, and I couldn't have loved them more - and my parents adored them, too.

Also, look how cute my dog is. Like I could even consider not loving him: 

• Options

imagestrawberryblonde2011:
    Good for you! I treat my dogs like family members...I will not get rid of them.  Everyone says I will have to get rid of my chihuahua b/c she will bite my baby when it is a toddler.  I'm sorry, but the toddler will have to learn to leave the chihuahua alone and not bother her.  I'm not going to just get rid of a dog... anyway sorry that turned in to a rant but I love seeing posts like this.  You will still love your dog, but just not the same type of love as your child! :)

Amen! I think it's important that children be exposed to animals early so that they can learn how to live around them and not to be afraid of them. Even if someone doesn't keep pets at home, it's important to teach kids how to interact with animals since they're all over the place.  

• Options

OMGosh!!!!  This is one of my biggest pet peeves ever!!!!!!!!!!!!  the words, "You'll see"  from anyone other than a medical professional who is giving me ADVICE not a lecture make my blood boil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My MIL says this phrase alot...... mrsminicks  I don't even know your aunt and I want to punch her! (hormones, sorry)

• Options

I keep getting commits like that too and ones like are you going to get rid of your dog when Alexis comes? No I'm not getting rid of my dog I love him and he is part of the family I know he is a little hipper and I will have to watch him but I think he will do fine.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers image image
  • Options
    imageadreajoy:

OMGosh!!!!  This is one of my biggest pet peeves ever!!!!!!!!!!!!  the words, "You'll see"  from anyone other than a medical professional who is giving me ADVICE not a lecture make my blood boil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My MIL says this phrase alot...... mrsminicks  I don't even know your aunt and I want to punch her! (hormones, sorry)

Haha. No worries. She's amazing, but opinionated - I love that about her most of the time, but when it's about politics or childrearing we really butt heads.  

• Options
    That stuff pissses me off to no end. Love doesn't stop. And if someone DID just stop loving a pet because of a baby then they really should give that pet to a better, more caring home. I will love my fur babies forever (and I know you will too), no matter what, just like they love me. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicTTC #1 since April '11.- BFP 7/3/11! - EDD 3/13/12 - Dean born 3/15/12! - Lovely Labor Buddies with PsychGirl33!! <3 </br> Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Wow, that is so wrong of her to say that. I don't think I could ever think about not loving my doggies.  They are always by my side and very protective of me, esp. now that I am pregnant. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

We have two cats and I feel the same way.  I have been told basically that I won't want to spend any time with them after the baby is born.  False!

I asked my friend that has a 10 month old and a dog and she said that the dog gets just as much love as he did before the baby was born and that the baby has a great time playing with the dog.

• Options

My father-in-law said the exact same thing to me about our pets!  Uh, thanks, but I don't have a finite amount of love I'm allowed to give.  I'll just make more.  My furbabies have pulled me through some stressful times, and I was raised from birth in a house that was never without much-beloved dogs running around.  My entire personality would have to change for him to be right.

I think he just doesn't get companion animals.  He has a dog, but he clearly takes a different view.

• Options
    I'm just worried that we won't be able to devote much time to Percy once Ethan is born, so we're planning to make it a point to let him have puppy playdates with my mom's dog and DH's parents' dogs. We know he'll probably feel neglected (he is a lapdog to the extreme - if there is a nook, he will fill it), at least until the baby is sleeping through the night and we have more energy to devote to him, so we want to make sure we are providing for him. It's helpful that my brother lives with us because he'll be able to help fulfill snuggle requirements :-)
  • Options
    I've been worried about time for the dog, too, and the fact that one of my cats is *very* snuggly.  We're lucky in that my husband is getting five weeks of leave with me, so I think that will help balance things out so no one in the family is feeling abandoned.  Either way, though, they aren't babies forever, and someday they will LOVE having a dog around, and that dog will get any attention it may have lost back.
  • Options
    OMG I was told the same thing this weekend about how "a dog is just a dog" after the baby is born!  We had friends who we saw this weekend that told us they kicket their two dogs to outside all the time after the baby came home.  She just couldnt' deal with "all the attention they needed and the dog hair"   I got in the car and started crying to my husband that I didn't want to kick the dog out!  He laughed at me and said of course we aren't he's our first baby!  But then I feel like I got guilt tripped into being a "bad mom" if I treat my dog like our baby too!  I think there are worse things in life than a little dog hair in my house! 
  • Options
    I still love my pooch.  It's true he doesn't get nearly the amount of attention that he used to get though.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options

awe, Im sure your fur baby will love being a big brother/sister.

We have a australian cattle dog aka blue heeler, he was  months old when we had my son and I swear some of the cutest pictures we have are of them napping together on the floor. SOOOO stinking cute. I was nervous at first bc our dog is on the crazy side but when it comes to his "boy" hes always checking on our son. I hope he does the same brotherly things with the little man on its way. I love it

• Options

I don't think I could EVER stop loving my two cats. I've had Twitch since he was 8 months old, an abuse victim with nerve damage (thus his name) and his daughter Tink, I've had her since the day she was born.

Twitch is my baby and he's 8 years old now and Tinky is 6. They're my furry babies and I love them very much.

Just because I'm having Zackary doesn't take away from them, if anything they'll love him as much as me. They love babies. (they're spayed/neutered and declawed VERY docile.) 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

We got that CONSTANTLY before we had our first DS and it drove me nuts.  We have St. Bernard and a German Shepherd (dh's work police dog) and everyone told us we'd end up getting rid of one. Um...no.

I can tell you happily, three years later, we're all one big slobbery, hair-covered family.  Is it tough juggling all of them at times and making sure everyone gets attention? Sure. Does my saint get walked as much as he used to? Maybe not. BUT, we're all really happy and no one has considered getting rid of anybody. 

Stupid people with stupid comments who have never really loved a dog, imho. 

• Options

I think I'll love my dogs more after the baby arrives. I look forward to seeing their reactions to us and the baby once she is here and how they deal with her getting bigger and stronger. I think every moment will be wonderful. My one dog sleeps on my belly, too, btw...she's 45 lbs. so, it will have to stop at some point, but for now, she keeps us warm, =)

• Options

Last pregnancy I was told I needed to get rid of my cats "because of the litterbox and because cats are vicious." Hmm First off, what ABOUT the litterbox? It's nowhere near DS and our cats don't carry any viruses/diseases to worry about passing off to myself or him. Second, all cats are not vicious! Mine are fat, lazy sweethearts.

For our cats, after we brought DS home they wanted nothing to do with him- he cried and hogged our attention and they didn't know how to deal. But they adjusted, and the dumb cat now plays with Lucian! Your pets will have to adjust to the lack of attention at first because a newborn needs.so.much., but as baby gets bigger and you learn better time management, everything falls into place. I still love my kitties like no one's business. :)

• Options
    The love I have for my dog never changed once DS was here.  Just like I won't stop loving DS once this baby is born.  My dog doesn't get all my attention anymore, but whenever I get a chance I still snuggle with him and he still sleeps with me.  There is enough room in my heart to love both plus this new baby. 
  • Options

My guess is your aunt isn't a dog person.  She might have one as a pet, but she's not a crazy dog person who has photos of her dog on her desk at work and buys her dog birthday and holiday presents.  Her dog might not be allowed any table scraps under any circumstances.

Our dog is our little princess.  When we snuggle in the morning (she takes DH's spot in bed when he gets out) I've been kissing her and rubbing her belly saying that she'll always be our first baby girl and we'll always love her.  I know she'll get jealous, but we will always make time to give her attention and affection.

• Options

We have two cats and they are definitely my first babies. I've had them since kittens and they are now six. I do worry that they'll be jealous when the baby gets here, but I'm not concerned that I can't love all three. 

They've always been skittish around new people, so I think they'll end up keeping to themselves for the first few days until they realize baby is a permanent resident. We've been through three moves together and they always get mad at us, but then they get over it. I'm more excited than anything to see how they interact together.  

"Go Phils"
    Norah Elizabeth - 3.19.12
  • Options
    We have a Cairn Terrier and she is super sweet. I definitely still love her and I wasn't one that called her my furbaby or anything. :)
  • Options

We have a black pug named Eegor, and while it'll be an adjustment for everyone, I'm still going to love him the same as I do now! He truly is a great family member, and our little baby boy is going to love him too Big Smile

I hate when people get rid of their dogs when they have kids. LAME!

Elliot | 3.7.12 | 7lbs 8.5oz, 20 3/4 inches
  • Options
    imagesonyaina:

We have a black pug named Eegor, and while it'll be an adjustment for everyone, I'm still going to love him the same as I do now! He truly is a great family member, and our little baby boy is going to love him too Big Smile

I hate when people get rid of their dogs when they have kids. LAME!

I agree. Adopting a pet should be a commitment for the lifetime of the pet, unless there is an extreme circumstance. After all, animals have feelings and form attachments too - that's why they make you fill out so much paperwork when you apply to adopt from the SPCA! 

• Options
    I too am head over heals for my dog and will love her to the end of the earth and back regardless of children coming into our family.  However, I have seen many couples have children and then lose all care in the world for their furbabies-it breaks my heart!
  • Options

imagetknaus1:
    I too am head over heals for my dog and will love her to the end of the earth and back regardless of children coming into our family.  However, I have seen many couples have children and then lose all care in the world for their furbabies-it breaks my heart!

My friends had two pure breds that they spent mucho bbucks on before they had kids. Once the baby came around...it was off to Grandma and Grandpa's forever for the dogs. They didn't want the responsibility of having two dogs and a kid. Well, now they are heading toward having three kids. Tell me how that is better? Definitely a pet peeve of mine, too.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"