TTC After a Loss
Options

Clomid vs Femara ... what do you think?

Tomorrow is my appointment with my OB to follow up with an ultrasound and discuses this 2nd miscarriage. Last week, she brought up sending me to an RE since this is my 2nd (3rd if you count my c/p in July) failed pregnancy in 6 months (and I am 25 years old). 

I don't know if this is something she'll talk about or not, but I want to have questions ready.

What is y'alls experience with clomid or femara? Have you ever been told one is better or more 'recommended' than the other? I hear much more about clomid, but I don't know if that's just because that's what bumpies use more, or if it's more recommended by doctors. I read somewhere that it may be unsafe for women with endometriosis to use clomid; anyone on that boat? I also read clomid can thin out the lining, is that something common or just one side-effect that have to list? 

Sorry for the word vomit of questions. :) Thanks girls!

BFP #1 4/23/11, EDD 1/4/12::No heartbeat @ 9 wks::D&C 6/1/11 
Child #1  June 2012
Child #2  Feb 2014
Child #3  Feb 16
BFP 3/9/17
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Clomid vs Femara ... what do you think?

• Options

I've taken clomid.  I will never take it again.  The incredible list of side effects didn't faze me - until our LO was diagnosed with one.  Google clomid and birth defects.  There is also an increased risk of miscarriage with clomid.  I never thought they were a big deal - until it happened to me.

Femara is processed quickly by your body and gone by the time conception occurs.  Unlike clomid, which stays in your body longer and therefore increases your risk for those things (it is, after all, a Category X drug and can stay in your body even after conception occurs).  It also thins your lining, etc.  That said, millions of women get pregnant on clomid and have happy, healthy babies.  It just seems like maybe it doesn't work with my body chemistry.  I won't ever use it again.

My RE and I dicussed Femara today and it has no reported birth defects associated with taking it before pregnancy.  You can't take Femara under the care of an OB, it has to be an RE.  Femara is not labeled for infertility, it is a breast cancer treatment, but is obviously used a lot for infertility.  That's also why clomid is first line for OBs.  They don't have access to any other drugs that make you ovulate.

I think, if you're going to go to an RE, that you should discuss using Femara.  It can't hurt just to talk about it and it could be potentially safer for you.  GL!

<3<3 "You know my name, not my story.
    You've heard what I've done, not what I've been through.
    If you were in my shoes, you'd fall the first step." <3<3

• Options
    I haven't experienced either but I wanted to say good luck at your appointment tomorrow, and I'm sure the RE will answer most of those questions for you if you don't get some good answers here. Although, Becky515 seems to know a lot about it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

****Sig warning****

I really hope it's okay if I post.  If not please let me know, I certainly don't want to hurt anyone.  

I highly recommend Femara.  My RE does not prescribe Clomid due to its multitude of side effects and how long it stays in your system.  Femara was great for me.  It was two tiny pills a day for five days.  My lining was great and my only side effect was a small nagging headache that started about 24 hours after the first dose and ended about 24 hours after the last dose.  I took Gonal-f in conjunction with it and produced three great follicles.  I really credit the Femara with increasing my egg quality.

I wish you lots of success in whichever method you choose! 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Married 9/22/07, began TTC 8/10
    Diagnosed with DOR, LP defect, mild endometriosis and cysts
    BFP #1 EDD 9/10/11, natural miscarriage at 6w
    BFP #2 Medicated cycle, twin boys born 4/4/12 at 29w4d
    BFP #3 EDD 8/8/14, D&C for missed miscarriage at 8w, baby boy with triploidy
    BFP #4 June 2014 CP
  • Options

I am in the middle of my 2nd clomid round.  The 1st round I had hot flashes every night and extreme anxiety and was very emotional.  This month I got a little hot a few nights and that was it.  O'd both cycles Smile

Not all doctors will give Rx's for Femara because it's currently only FDA approved as a breast cancer medication.  However, the advantages seem to be better than clomid.  My doctors said they'd think about it for me next cycle, after they've had time to investigate it more thoroughly.  Some advantages of Femara I've heard are it doesn't negatively affect your lining as clomid can (although my lining was fine each cycle) and you supposedly have less s/e's.  

Also, insurance may not cover it.  Mine does, but it's non-preferred so it will cost about $40 for five pills opposed to the $4.16 I pay for clomid.

I would bring it up to your doc and I'm sure they'll make the best choice with you.  Good luck! 

image image imageimageimage  

CFNBC after 8 losses and IF || History || My Angel Babies

• Options
    imageMissa_g:

****Sig warning***

I really hope it's okay if I post.  If not please let me know, I certainly don't want to hurt anyone.  

I highly recommend Femara.  My RE does not prescribe Clomid due to its multitude of side effects and how long it stays in your system.  Femara was great for me.  It was two tiny pills a day for five days.  My lining was great and my only side effect was a small nagging headache that started about 24 hours after the first dose and ended about 24 hours after the last dose.  I took Gonal-f in conjunction with it and produced three great follicles.  I really credit the Femara with increasing my egg quality.

You are always welcome. :) IMO, at least.

Thanks so much for sharing, you guys. I will definitely bring it up with my dr.

What stinks, is I ovulate. Just normally late.. both times I got pregnant, one I O'd on CD 33, and the other on CD24. I am apprehensive about taking drugs to MAKE me ovulate, since I tend to it ... just not at the right time. I've read mixed 'reviews' on whether or not late ovulation can increase miscarriage risk. I wonder if there's something ELSE that may be a factor that may be fixed, and then I can skip over the clomid train?  Anyways, I know those are all ?s for my dr tomorrow. Just thinking out loud. :)

Child #1  June 2012
    Child #2  Feb 2014
    Child #3  Feb 16
    BFP 3/9/17
  • Options

imageJen7989:
    I haven't experienced either but I wanted to say good luck at your appointment tomorrow, and I'm sure the RE will answer most of those questions for you if you don't get some good answers here. Although, Becky515 seems to know a lot about it.

Thanks !!! :) 

Child #1  June 2012
    Child #2  Feb 2014
    Child #3  Feb 16
    BFP 3/9/17
  • Options
    imageE3A7AGGIE:
    imageMissa_g:

****Sig warning***

You are always welcome. :) IMO, at least.

Thanks so much for sharing, you guys. I will definitely bring it up with my dr.

What stinks, is I ovulate. Just normally late.. both times I got pregnant, one I O'd on CD 33, and the other on CD24. I am apprehensive about taking drugs to MAKE me ovulate, since I tend to it ... just not at the right time. I've read mixed 'reviews' on whether or not late ovulation can increase miscarriage risk. I wonder if there's something ELSE that may be a factor that may be fixed, and then I can skip over the clomid train?  Anyways, I know those are all ?s for my dr tomorrow. Just thinking out loud. :)

I ovulate too- I have every cycle I've ever charted.  Ovulation induction drugs are not solely used to 'make you ovulate.'  In my case, I have short luteal phases and O on the later side (CD 20+).  

Drugs like femara and clomid are also used to increase the quality of the follicles that release the egg and in my case, keep the corpus luteum in business longer so I do not have a 9 day LP.  It basically tricks your brain into producing more hormones (maybe FSH and estrogen, but not 100% sure) to strengthen and induce your O.  Last cycle I O'd on CD 16 and had a 13 day LP!  

I do not know all the 'ins and outs' of the benefits to taking them, so hopefully someone can jump in and add to what I've shared Smile 

image image imageimageimage  

CFNBC after 8 losses and IF || History || My Angel Babies

• Options
    I also plan to talk about this with my RE when I get AF. We should compare notes :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Femara for sure.  I have taken both, on clomid not only was I a psychobitch but I had hot flashes and I think it also negatively affected my fertility because I had NO EWCM.  2nd cycle on it I also developed a huge cyst which did all kinds of crazy stuff to my hormones.

On Femara I had EWCM for 3 days, my lining was good thickness although it wasn't trilayered like it should be.  I got pregnant, but that was the cycle I m/c.  I had no side effects. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageTwizzle:

Femara for sure.  I have taken both, on clomid not only was I a psychobitch but I had hot flashes and I think it also negatively affected my fertility because I had NO EWCM.  2nd cycle on it I also developed a huge cyst which did all kinds of crazy stuff to my hormones.

On Femara I had EWCM for 3 days, my lining was good thickness although it wasn't trilayered like it should be.  I got pregnant, but that was the cycle I m/c.  I had no side effects. 

I'm definitely going to bring these things up! All great questions/recommendations. :) Thanks you guys! 

Child #1  June 2012
    Child #2  Feb 2014
    Child #3  Feb 16
    BFP 3/9/17
  • Options
    My lining was on the thinner side with clomid, plus i stopped responding to it... so it's onto femara for me next time. I don't have experience yet with both on which to recommend, but a lot of bumpies from the past would rather use femara. 

BFP#1 {Cashew} - 9.19.09 EDD 5.26.10
    The day you first lay in my arms, you made my life complete.
    Aurora Rose born sleeping at 35w on 4-21-10
    BFP#2 {Almond} - 2.1.11 EDD 10.12.11 C/P 2.11.11

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"