Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Question about the mini pill

I just went on a trip to go to my brother's wedding.  I was out of town from Thursday to Sunday and I think I forgot to take my pill on time for 3 out of 4 of the days we were there.  I remembered eventually, but instead of taking it at my usual 8 AM, I didn't remember until the afternoon.  I know, it's really irresponsible.  I just got out of my routine.  I tried setting an alarm on my phone, but for some reason it never went off.  I think the packaging says if you miss a pill, use back up protection for 48 hours, but what if you miss it for 3 days?  I remember when I first got on it, my doctor said use back up for the first 2 weeks, so should I go by that rule? 

Also, another unrelated question about the mini pill.  I've been taking it since DS was born because I was BFing, but I just weaned him.  Is there any reason why I should keep using the mini pill or go back to my old regular BC pills?  Is there any difference between them? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Question about the mini pill

• Options
    I'd use back-up for at least a week or so just to be safe. But I'd be a little paranoid. And if you've weaned completely, you need regular BC, the mini pill won't be effective (so I'd definitely use back-up if I were you).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageTBLilyRose:
    I'd use back-up for at least a week or so just to be safe. But I'd be a little paranoid. And if you've weaned completely, you need regular BC, the mini pill won't be effective (so I'd definitely use back-up if I were you).

It's not effective if you're not BFing?  Yikes!  Where did you hear that?  I just looked at a website called Babycenter and it says that if you are BFing, it's almost 100% effective and if not, it's 99.5% effective. Maybe I'll call my doctor in the morning.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageNewFamily09:

imageTBLilyRose:

It's not effective if you're not BFing?  Yikes!  Where did you hear that?  I just looked at a website called Babycenter and it says that if you are BFing, it's almost 100% effective and if not, it's 99.5% effective. Maybe I'll call my doctor in the morning.

Whoops, no I meant not as effective. lol  Didn't mean to freak you out. I just remember my doctor telling me to call as soon as I weaned and get on regular BC. But it might just because there's more leeway with regular BC as far as not having to take it at the same time every day for optimal effectiveness.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageTBLilyRose:
    imageNewFamily09:

imageTBLilyRose:

Whoops, no I meant not as effective. lol  Didn't mean to freak you out. I just remember my doctor telling me to call as soon as I weaned and get on regular BC. But it might just because there's more leeway with regular BC as far as not having to take it at the same time every day for optimal effectiveness.

My doctor said the same.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I'd say use back up protection for at least a week...

Also now that you've weaned your son you really should get on a regular birth control pill. If you're not BFing regularly, the effectiveness can go way down. I actually stopped the pill all together and used back up protection once DD was down to 2x per day.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"