December 2011 Moms
Options

inlovewithB - Doula Question

So, we're going with a family friend that is a "doula-in-training."
(I don't know if there is an official name/term for that or not.)
Apparently, the way I understand it, she has to attend so many births before she gets her official certification??

She'll be attending mine as one of her "training" sessions.
(She's also had 18 years experience as a labor RN - so I jumped on that opportunity!)

She's said no payment (because she's still in training), but we want to acknowledge her time and commitment to my pregnancy and labor.
How much would be appropriate?
I don't want to make her feel uncomfortable by giving her too much, but I also don't want to look like a scrooge for giving her too little.

Is $200 appropriate?  (In a card okay?)
With a $50 gift/figurine?  (<-- Stupid idea?)

Do/can I "pay" her in cash?
(I'm always worried when people aren't expecting anything that if I pay them by check, they won't cash it.)

I'm sure I'm over-thinking this, but when you introduced yourself and said you were a doula, I was hoping you'd have some insight.

Thank you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: inlovewithB - Doula Question

• Options

::butting in:: My doula is in a similar situation. Actually its my sister and she is almost done completing her DONA certification and is using this birth as one of the births she needs to attend to get certified (she was my doula for my last labor and was AMAZING!). Since she is my sister she is obviously not charging me anything but I know for the other clients she has had she has charged like $100-200 depending on how much interaction they want (how many pre-natal and post natal meetings and what not).

I would say that $200 and a gift would definitely be appropriate. I think a figurine or some sort of birth related gift would be really sweet and knowing how my sister feels about each birth she attends I would venture to say your doula would be really touched. As for worrying that she wont accept cash you could always do a visa gift card or something like that-- just an idea! HTH!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Thank you for your input; I'm glad you butted in!
    Stick out tongue

It's great to get another person's perspective.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hey Ladies,

Sorry I am late to the conversation!! When I did my three certification births I was very pleased that the couples recognized the time I dedicated to them and all three gifted me. The range was from $100 to $250. The couple that gave me the highest amount also gave me a very thoughtful gift approx. $35 value.

Personally I preferred the checks over the gift cards because of the high processing fee on the gift card. With the amount of money these girls are spending on getting certified they will most likely be grateful and cash the checks :)

June 2010-Lap
    b2b Injectable IUI #1 7/25/10 & 7/26/10 = BFP beta 14dpIUI = 133 MC 9/14 at 9 weeks
    b2b Injectable IUI #2 12/5/10 & 12/6/10 = BFN
    IVF #1 ER 3/28/11 ET 3 embryos 3/31/11= BFN
    b2b Injectable IUI#3 6/28/11 & 6/29/11 = BFN
    PAIF/SAIF Welcome :)

Submitted Adoption Application on 6/1/2011
    Homestudy 7/19/2011
    IVF#2 CX due to Adoption Match
    We were blessed with our daughter through the gift of adoption
    IVF #2.1 ET 2 embryos 2/14/13 7 frostiesLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

We actually talked about this recently on our local doula FB page. There is nothing in the DONA certification package that states that the three births you use for your certification must be on a volunteer basis. Most doulas offer their services for free because they would have a hard time finding people willing to pay for a doula with no experience.

99% of the doulas I know truly have a servants heart and ask for less than they are worth when they set their fees. Even in a situation where you are paying full price a gift or tip would be greatly appreciated. 

June 2010-Lap
    b2b Injectable IUI #1 7/25/10 & 7/26/10 = BFP beta 14dpIUI = 133 MC 9/14 at 9 weeks
    b2b Injectable IUI #2 12/5/10 & 12/6/10 = BFN
    IVF #1 ER 3/28/11 ET 3 embryos 3/31/11= BFN
    b2b Injectable IUI#3 6/28/11 & 6/29/11 = BFN
    PAIF/SAIF Welcome :)

Submitted Adoption Application on 6/1/2011
    Homestudy 7/19/2011
    IVF#2 CX due to Adoption Match
    We were blessed with our daughter through the gift of adoption
    IVF #2.1 ET 2 embryos 2/14/13 7 frostiesLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I'm glad someone posted about this.  Our doula is also using our birth as one of the required births to get certified.  She is not changing us anything, but I was thinking about what would be appropriate to recognize her time and commitment to us and our baby.  Good to hear that some form of $$ would be appreciated and not offensive to the certification process (I wasn't sure if she could even accept money from us if she wasn't certified).
    laying down the law on Oahu's North Shore

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"