Breastfeeding
Options

Suddenly...soft?

DS is 3 weeks old. For the past week or so I've been dealing with bilateral engorgement, which I tried to treat with frequent feeds, cool compresses, massage, etc. It was uncomfortable but manageable, and DS handled it well. This morning I woke up after an unprecedented 4 hour stretch (!) to...very soft boobs. And today DS has been "snacking" only, and seems fussier than usual. I'm panicked that the supply pendulum has swung the other direction--from too much to not enough. I tried a little manual expression and there *is* milk there..am I overreacting and mistaking his growth spurt or gassy crankiness for hunger? Has anyone else had suddenly soft boobs after notable engorgement?

BFP #1 5/2010 - Missed m/c at 8 weeks
BFP #2 2/2011
Baby G welcomed with love and relief 10/2011
Surprise BFP 1/8/2013...say what? Baby A arrived 9/2013

Motherhood is not for wimps

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Suddenly...soft?

• Options

Once your supply regulates, you won't get engorged and you won't leak.  You will feel soft.  It's great!

The only thing is the cool compresses.  I THINK cold reduces supply, vs. hot which helps supply?  I could be wrong. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I believe there is a 3 week growth spurt which might explain the frequent feedings. And once your body starts to regulate, your boobs will be softer. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"