Austin Babies
Options

Extended BFers

I nursed DD for 16 months. We weaned July 19 (yes, I know the date, I'm sentimental like that). I'm not going to say that either DD or I were "ready" but it had to be done with her starting MDO and us having to fly out of state for a funeral at the time.

I'm curious about something, though. DD has this "thing" with putting her hand down my shirt and squeezing my girls. It seems to bring comfort to her. When I pick her up, she immediately puts her hand down my shirt. When she was younger, we thought she might be doing this b/c she was cold or something (she also does it to DH, too, though not the squeezing part). But now it really seems as though this is sort of a comfort to her. If she's really upset, she goes searching for the opening to my shirt and as soon as she gets to my girls, she immediately calms down.

Is this normal for a baby who was BF for a long time? Will she grow out of this or should I be worried? 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Extended BFers

• Options

Did she squeeze them when you were nursing her? Maybe it reminds her of nursing?

My son pats my chest when he wants to nurse and will sometimes squeeze or pat them as he's nursing. 

I wouldn't be worried if I were you--I'm sure it's something she'll grow out of and I don't think it's weird that she's doing it given how much time she spent there :)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    DD nursed for three years and didn't do that or anything similar. I've heard of many kids doing that though, and it seems to be kids who nursed through infancy but did. It self-wean. She knows what comforts her. :-)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Kate "self-weaned" pretty early (15 months) but I think that I had a drop in supply which contributed.  She did like to stick her hand down my shirt and still does it occasionally.  I never really thought anything of it.  Boobs are comforting.  :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DD does this and I am still nursing her. But I know some other moms who didn't nurse past one (and I think one stopped at 6 months) and they said their kids did it too.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    DD is only 10 months, so not extended BFer, but she does this. She reaches in for them, and grabs them, and pats them ... and when she can see them, she ... ahem, motorboats them, LOL. They are very comforting Smile
  • Options
    DD still nurses in the mornings and she often reaches in my shirt or pats them.  I don't really think much of it until she tries to do it in public.
    Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    DD likes to put her hand down my shirt and snuggle up and we didn't nurse at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"