October 2011 Moms
Options

Scheduled C-Section - BTDT Moms what do I need to know?

After my doctor's appointment, she scheduled me for a c-section. I feel like I was super prepared for a vaginal birth, but this obviously changes things.  

Ladies who have been there before, is there anything I need to know? What should I be prepared for?

Thanks in advance! 

DS: Born November 2011
TTC #2 since April '13
DH 35, Me: 34
DX: Unexplained Secondary Infertility, Slight DOR
Sept 14 - IUI (Clomid + Ovidrel) = BFN
Oct 14 - IUI (Clomid + Ovidrel + Progesterone) = BFN
Nov 14- Benched due to cysts Looking for New Doc
Feb - IUI #3 (Letrozole + Ovridrel)
March/April - IVF #1 - Antagonist Protocol - Follistim+HGH+Low Dose HCG - 11R/9M/5F - 2 8 cell 3dtransfer - BFN on April 23, 2014

Re: Scheduled C-Section - BTDT Moms what do I need to know?

• Options

I had my csection last Sunday. Wearing a Belly Bandit has helped me a lot. It has made sitting up in bed, getting off the couch, etc. so much easier. 

After they administered the spinal I couldn't feel a bit of pain but felt a lot of tugging as they took DS out. 

It wasn't so bad, honestly. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I was a last minute c-section (not emergency). I would say be prepared for the shakes. I don't know if it was because I had been on "drugs" for awhile but the additional anesthesia before the operation had me shaking like a leaf plus the OR room being cold, I couldn't control my shaking. This sucked because I was just trying to concentrate on relaxing that I couldn't really enjoy when my baby was actually born. 

This is very common, the shakes, but doesn't mean it will happen to you but just in case. I wasn't bummed about the whole operation though because as soon as they put my daughter on my chest, the shakes stopped and the real bonding began. 

For after, have someone there to help. You can't drive and really move for a few days. And rest as much as you can, don't overdue it. Remember it's a major operation. Take care!

Visit The Nest!Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1 - 11/16/10 CP 12/1/10
    Our team green turned into team pink! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    BFP #2 17dpo - 47, 19dpo - 114 Chart
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Abdominal binder, take pain meds when offered, use stool softeners when at home, when you need to get up roll on your side and push yourself up with your arms...when you are a little further post-op you can hold onto your leg to get up, DO NOT use your abs, its not fun. Put a pillow over your abdomen if you have to cough or sneeze, it just helps you feel more "put together," use as much help as youre offered. Get up and walking as soon as you are allowed, gum helps your bowel sounds get moving. Um....thats all I got! And its really not that bad, I'd prefer it any day over a vag! GL!
  • Options
    Everyone has given you great advice so far, and I definitely recommend a belly bandit. I did not have one with my first but got one this time and I love it. Also, make sure you get up moving sooner rather than later and stand up straight. I didn't find it to be painful, I felt tight/stiff when I first got up but it wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as I thought it would be.
  • Options

imagee_delo:
    Abdominal binder, take pain meds when offered, use stool softeners when at home, when you need to get up roll on your side and push yourself up with your arms...when you are a little further post-op you can hold onto your leg to get up, DO NOT use your abs, its not fun. Put a pillow over your abdomen if you have to cough or sneeze, it just helps you feel more "put together," use as much help as youre offered. Get up and walking as soon as you are allowed, gum helps your bowel sounds get moving. Um....thats all I got! And its really not that bad, I'd prefer it any day over a vag! GL!

I definitely agree with all of this advice, especially the bolded about walking.  My walking efforts were a little slower because I was stuck in bed for 24+ hours on magnesium for my bp and it apparently made me extra sluggish on top of general post c-section stuff.  My feet felt like lead the first time I hobbled to the bathroom, but every time after that got easier - and I was slowly able to walk more upright with each day.

The weird side effect I got from the spinal - I was very, very itchy.  The first night, the extra pain meds were in full effect, so I was able to contort myself to scratch, but it was still torture.  Ask for benadryl - it also helped me to sleep.  After that night, it was awful because the pain hit and I was still itchy.  Thankfully they were able to give me meds to help.

Things I wish I had known - you'll want to help with baby, changing etc., but you will need help because it will be tough to move.  My Mom was always there, something I didn't think I wanted before I got to the hospital, but she was a life saver.  Seriously.  I don't know how we would have made it through the first day or two at home without her.

Things I wish I had packed - plenty of clothes!  I didn't have huge amounts of pp bleeding, so once I was up to it, showering every day and putting on my own clothes helped my state of mind tremendously.

Oh, take everything that isn't nailed down. ;) The mesh panties, the large hospital pads, the peri bottles.  The mesh panties are ugly as hell, but SO comfortable!  I never even investigated the pile of stuff they had for me by the window, that included a wash basin - and I know they threw it away as soon as we left.  Don't be shy.  If you need something, or want something - ask.

Good luck with everything!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

You ladies are awesome! Thank you for all your tips and advice!  

I never even thought of the belly bandit.  I will post pictures of my (now November) baby soon!! 

DS: Born November 2011
    TTC #2 since April '13
    DH 35, Me: 34
    DX: Unexplained Secondary Infertility, Slight DOR
    Sept 14 - IUI (Clomid + Ovidrel) = BFN
    Oct 14 - IUI (Clomid + Ovidrel + Progesterone) = BFN
    Nov 14- Benched due to cysts Looking for New Doc
    Feb - IUI #3 (Letrozole + Ovridrel)
    March/April - IVF #1 - Antagonist Protocol - Follistim+HGH+Low Dose HCG - 11R/9M/5F - 2 8 cell 3dtransfer - BFN on April 23, 2014

• Options
    All of the above, hopefully your SO will be there to help with the baby soon after you give birth. If not have someone help you with baby. I couldn't even pick him up from his crib the first two nights. You are basically helpless after surgery and day after, in regards to taking care of baby. I could only nurse and hold him. Stay at the hospital for as long as you can, it's ok to receive the nurses care. The shakes and scratchy feeling subsides and isn't that bad, there are meds for that too. You will feel like crap the next day, but each day you will get stronger. Take the pain meds they offer. By the 2nd day I switched to my regular clothes and it really helped my brain to make me feel better. The hospital should provide the abdominal binder to you, so you don't have to buy one. I wore mine today and it still helps me feel tighter. The area above and below my incision is still swollen 1 week later. Took me 6 days to have a BM, so make sure you take some stool softners, which can aid in moving things along. Good luck to you!
  • Options
    morphine=24+hrs of insane itching....at least it did for me.  you might want to ask for a different pain med. there were times I couldn't even hold her b/c I was itching so bad,  good luck!
    imageimage

• Options

Well I took all sorts of clothes with me to the hospital, and ended up living in my mesh panties and hospital gowns the entire time. I was way too sore to move!

I also had an abdominal binder (one from the hospital I asked for and a Belly Bandit) and tried to use them. I am short and also have a short torso so they actually rubbed on my Csection site.....so sort of fail on those products.

Take it easy after your surgery, let the meds work and don't try to fight it. The nurses all told me this, but I fought it because my LO was in the NICU and I had to get down there......dumb me because they gave me oxytocin to shrink my ute back down and when my spinal wore off I though I was dying!! So let the meds work as long as thy can!!

And once you are home, listen to your doc.....don't lift or move things! Your belly is going to hurty hurt hurt for a few weeks, but don't worry, it will get better with time.....

"You and me together can do anything, baby!!" DMB
    Married October 16th, 2010
    TTC #1 since October 2010
    1st BFP 1-12-11
    MC'd 1-22-11
    2nd BFP 2-15-11
    Our Wee One....**KENNEDY JO** born 10/3/11@ 36weeks via Csection
    My BFP Chart
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Labor Buddy to **MRS.ATCH** Welcome Quinn 11-5-11**
  • Options

I had a sort of planned c-section (I had a scheduled c-section for the following week due to my DD being breech, but my water broke a week ahead of that). I honestly had a very easy recovery. I was at Target the week after the surgery. 

I agree with the PP that walking around is essential. It is uncomfortable, but it really helped. I didn't have much of a choice about getting up, I had diarrhea about 15 times a day for almost a week after the c-section (drs and nurses have no idea why).

As for the actual c-section, I couldn't have asked for it to be better. My anesthesiologist was fantastic and told me everything that was going on (and all I felt was some pressure). He even took pictures of my DH and I with DD. They got her wiped off, weighed, wrapped up and then put her down by me so I could see her and touch her for a few moments. They then took her to the nursery with my DH and I met them there when I was stapled back together. They then had me breastfeed, so I got to hold and breastfeed her within an hour. 

I would bring nightgowns to the hospital. It was nice to be in my own clothes, but eh nightgown was much easier.

I had a microwavable heat pack that was amazing- i strongly recommend them.

Tell people not to be too amusing - my sister made me laugh really hard and it really hurt!

One bonus to the c-section: DH had to do all the diaper changes until I could get out of bed.

I know that I was lucky and some people have a really hard recovery, so I wanted to post my happy c section story so hopefully you won't be as nervous!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"