November 2011 Moms
Options

why am i getting such a hard time

We have just started telling people what we plan to name our dd.  Her name will be Lillian after my great grandmother but we would like her to go by Lily.  we thought long and hard about spelling it with one L or two and went with one like the flower.  epEveryone is giving me a hard time about it.  is Lily that abnormal for a name?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: why am i getting such a hard time

• Options

People will complain and give you crap no matter what you choose to name your kid. It's for that reason that only a select handful of people know our "short list."

For the record, I think it's beautiful to name her Lillian and to go by Lily. I see nothing abnormal about it, and it's something that is sweet on a little girl that won't be odd to see on a business card when she's 40. (That's part of my criteria for naming my kid, anyway).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    First, I absolutely LOVE your name choice! My niece's name is Lily... they spell it with just one L and I've never heard of anyone questioning how to pronounce her name (which is ultimately the only reason I'd avoid going with one spelling of a name over another). I honestly wouldn't worry about it at all.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Ew - who on earth gives a very pregnant woman a hard time about the name of her unborn baby??  What tacky behavior.  This is precisely my husband and I have not shared our son's name with ANYONE.  We did not want to hear anyone's comments, questions, opinions, suggestions, etc.  I didn't think people were actually rude enough to say anything other than "Oh what a great name!" because I think in the event you're sharing the name before the baby is born, that is the ONLY acceptable response.

I love the name Lillian and Lily too - both are very ladylike and special!  Great choice!   
  • Options
    People will complain about anything. Lily is a very cute name, and these people must be out of the baby naming loop, because Lily is VERY popular right now. Not at all abnormal.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I would think to spell Lily with one "L" before two - but both seem like perfectly normal spellings of the name. If you went with two L's some people would spell it with only one - its just one of those things, and its a beautiful name!

(My name is Sarah, with an "h" and I have had to spell my name my whole life, as both versions are common - I still love my name :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I don't think its abnormal I just think people will spell it wrong a lot but if your not worried about that then who care's what other people think.
  • Options

This is exactly why we're not telling anyone the name until after she's born. People don't share their opinions as freely once LO is born, but they think they can change your mind beforehand.

And btw, I think the name you chose is beautiful, and I love it when there is a family connection!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so sorry that you are dealing with this and that it is upsetting you. I personally think Lily is a great name. It was on our short list for some time. Then we decided to go with Isabel. Mainly, so that my Spanish only speaking grandmother would be able to say her name correctly. Being pregnant has has done a great job of reminding my of how rude and inconsiderate even  strangers on the street can be. Always offering an opinions without being asked for one and quick to criticize. I've really embraced my inner pregnant hormonal *** in dealing with situations like these. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I can say, as someone with a "normal" name that is spelled differently, that people can shove it if they have problems with you using just one "l" in Lily.

• Options
    My friend's daughter has the same name and spells Lily the same way as you want to. She wanted it to be "Lily like the flower".  I don't see anything wrong with it.
    It's a Boy!! Baby #1 - Born 11/2/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I like Lily better than Lilly, regardless of what it's short for.

I know of Catherines who go by Katie, Johns who go by Jack, and Margarets who go by Meg. It's nobody's business but yours and LO's.

Go with your preference here! :)

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    imagecatrinawaves:

This is exactly why we're not telling anyone the name until after she's born.

This exactly! I've told my family and a few close girlfriends, but that is it. Lately I've had some strangers ask me and I've told them because I could give a crap less what their opinion is lol 

I think you've chosen a beautiful name and who cares what everyone else thinks!

imageimageimage
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options

My 11 year-old daughter's name is Olyvia....and I spelled it with a "y".  I have not had one person ever say anything negative about it. Smile

• Options
    We are naming our daughter Lily Ann.  No extra L and no unnecessary e on the end of Ann!  Who cares what people say???  It is a beautiful name:-)
  • Options

The name you selected is beautiful. It really is in poor taste that people are giving you such a hard time about it. I don't know what it is, but something about pregnant women and babies seems to make people think that they can say anything, no matter how much it is in poor taste.

• Options
    Don't second guess your decision because people are giving you a hard time about it.  As long as you and DH love the name and are on the same page about it, it shouldn't matter what everyone else thinks.  Lily is a beautiful name, as is Lillian.  If you have more kids, don't tell people what name you decide on until it's on the babies birth certificate.  People are going to have opinions no matter what and they'll always try to change your mind.
  • Options

I always spell it with 2 "L"s and usually it turns out I spelled it wrong :) 

• Options
    I love the name Lillian.  Its been my girls name forever.  ...  but now that we're having a boy and his name is going to be William, I'm not sure if I'll want two rhyming names :P  You could change it up and spell it Lilian.  That's actually how I was going to spell it if we were having a girl.  Also, its not odd at all - I can't imagine why people are giving you such a hard time over it!
  • Options
    Not at all. Lily is completely normal...one we considered for our LO. 
  • Options
    Lily's a pretty popular name right now.  And saying it will be misspelled is ridiculous to me (which isn't to say it won't happen)- who doesn't know how to spell the name of the flower?
  • Options

Tell your family that according to the Social Security Name Index for 2010, Lily with 1 L was #17 in popularity last year, while Lilly with 2 Ls was 107. Obviously Lily is the more common spelling.

I love the name Lily - its one of my dog's names :)

imageimage
  • Options
    No Lily is a beautiful name! People just want you to do what they think is best. I also considered Lily and Lila, but we are going with Piper Elizabeth. Lots of our friends and family love it and others hate it...you can't please everyone. I'm sure once Lily arrives nobody will say a negative word. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"