Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

What time do you stop handing out candy?

Here in my subdivision the kids start TOT when it gets dark and they keep coming and coming..last year we had a group of teenagers come at around 10 PM even though the last kids came at around 8:30 PM. Should I open the door if it happens the same this year? I opened the door for the teenagers, but it just felt weird handing out candy that late. What do you all do?
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Elias was born on August 27, 2010, 8 days overdue, and weighed in at 8 lbs 10 oz and 20.5 in Photobucket

Re: What time do you stop handing out candy?

• Options
    I turn off the light when G goes to bed. It's common practice here that your front lights are on if you want to participate in TOTing. If they're turned off, that house/family is not handing out candy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker BFP 04/15/2011; M/C 04/21/2011 Sleep with Jesus sweet baby.
  • Options
    Turn off the lights, blow out the candles, etc. by 8:30 or 9 pm.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

If it were a steady stream until 10 I'd keep handing out (if I had enough candy). But if the last kids came at 8:30 I'd probaly shut my light off around 9 and close down shop. Kids are pretty ballzy to come to your door at 10pm if you don't have a light on.

• Options

imageZoeyMarie:
    I turn off the light when G goes to bed. It's common practice here that your front lights are on if you want to participate in TOTing. If they're turned off, that house/family is not handing out candy.

All of this!

Personally, we hand out candy as long as there is a steady stream.  When the stream seems to dwindle, I go outside and blow out the candles in the pumpkins and turn off the lights, which signals we are no longer participating.  (This is usually around 8:30-9pm)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We do the light thing too. But since our church does a harvest festival on Halloween as an option to not go door to door we just leave our light on and put a bowl out on the front porch. When we get home around 8:30ish the light is turned off and the candy is put in the house. We have 2 dogs so I would be really mad if someone came knocking at 10:00.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Our city has a set ToTing time from 6-8. We'll see 1000-1200 kids tonight so if I'm not out of candy by 8 I'll be turning the lights off right at 8. (It's common knowledge to only go to houses with their front porch lights on)
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageMrs.Bones:

I'm turning off the lights and putting a big bowl of candy on the front step when Eli goes to bed at 7:30. Otherwise the dog will FREAK out and wake him. Repeatedly.

This.  word for word.

• Options
    I remember a couple years back, we had a group of teens knock on our door at 11. I didn't answer.  I was happy to not find eggs or toilet paper on the lawn the next morning.  11pm?  CRAZY!!!
  • Options
    TOT-ing hours in our city are from 3-7 so I generally turn off my light and stop at 7ish.

• Options
    ToT stops at 8pm.  I will be putting out the rest of the candy after K goes to bed in between 7 and 730.  I am fully aware one kid may take it all.  I don't care.  The doorbell makes my crazy wiener dogs bark and will wake her and I don't need to eat all the leftover candy!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imageDC2London:
    I will be turning our porch light off when J goes to bed (8:00), but because we have a coach light that is on a timer I will also put a sign out that says "baby sleeping, quiet please" and just leave any candy we have left out in a bowl on the porch.

I like this idea.  I don't want to be a bah humbug on Halloween, but if anyone rings the doorbell after DD's bedtime I'll unfortunately have to kill them.

• Options
    Our trick or treatng goes from 6-8.  We turn off the outside lights at 8 and no more candy!  Maybe 10 minutes after 8.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Like you, I will freak out if the TOT'ers will wake up Elias after 7:30. Such mommies we are LOL.I will be doing the porch light,wonder if anyone will get it in this neighborhood; hopefully!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Elias was born on August 27, 2010, 8 days overdue, and weighed in at 8 lbs 10 oz and 20.5 in Photobucket
  • Options
    I just shut my front light off (9 pm here). DD goes to bed at 7:30 so I just put a sign next to the doorbell that said "Please do not ring the bell. The little goblins are sleeping. Please knock." It worked pretty well. Only a couple groups missed the sign. I actually got a chuckle out of hearing parents standing at the curb tell the kids to ring the bell and their kids yelling back "but it says to knock!"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"