Multiples

12 wks with twins today! Questions too....

Okay, I made it to 12 weeks. I will be nervous until at least 24 wks, but I guess it's time to start thinking about practical stuff.
i'm sure you get these questions a lot...but...here are some of my questions!

If you have enough bedrooms to put each twin in their own room, did you do it? We have a 4 bedroom  house, with 2 rooms being the same size and the 4th is really small. I think it would be tight to put 2 cribs in one room, but I hate to only have 1 very small guest room too.

New car...I will definitely need a new car in 2012. My old grad school car will not be working for 2 babies. I have a family member that works for Ford, so I will be buying Ford...which means NO mini van options. So, is the new explorer big enough for twins and all their stuff? I would probably want 2 captain seats in the middle, so it would only seat 6 if the back row was up....with the 3rd row up though, there isn't much trunk room. But the Expedition has a pretty significant difference in gas mileage. What do you think? It took 5 IVF's to get this pregnancy, but we do have 1 frozen embryo...so there is potential for a 3rd child in the future.

Baby showers: seems like most women with multiples schedule them between 24-30 wks?

Baby furniture: Buy really nice furniture that coverts to toddler bed then to twin bed and never have to buy furniture again or buy cheaper cribs and nice kid furniture later when they are less likely to teeth on the wood furniture??

If you have any other suggestions, let me know! I am been so worried with getting to 12 wks, that I'm already feeling a little overwhelmed with all I need to get ready...in such a short time. My OB told me to expect bedrest in Feb & March and if I don't need it, it will be great...but to plan to be on bedrest.

Thanks!!

:)

Wedding Fall 2007 Off OCP's since 9/08-started with BBT charts Saw Ob/gyn May 2009 Blood work normal except single copy of MTHFR Clomid 50mg May 2009 Clomid 50mg + IUI June 2009 Femara 5mg + IUI July 2009 Normal HSG July 2009 Femara 5mg + ovidrel+IUI August 2009 Femara 5mg +ovidrel + IUI September 2009 November 2009-normal lap December 2009-met with RE December/January-Injectible med cycle with IUI-Abnormal sperm morpology found-only 0-1% normal All Head defects. Jan/Feb 2010 1st IVF with ICSI-5 week chemical pregnancy :( Feb 2010-male infertility doc says DH's anatomy and blood work are normal so nothing he can do. :( FET July 2010-BFP! Twin m/c @ 5.5 wks :( Dec/Jan 2011 IVF #2 Only 4 eggs retrieved-Ganirelix dose messed up BFFN Feb/March 2011 IVF #3 ER 3/9 9 eggs, 7 fertilized, ET 3/14, No frosties. BFN IVF #4 ER 8/22 9R,7F ET 8/25-3 embies, 1 frostie! Beta 9/2= 54, 9/6=274, 9/8=625, 9/12=2953, 9/16 greater than 10,000. B/G TWINS born April 2012 @ 36wks & 1 day! July 2014-going back for the frozen embryo! ET 7/28, heartbeat seen at 6wks1day with SCH. Miscarriage confirmed at 6wks4days

Re: 12 wks with twins today! Questions too....

• Most cribs convert to a full size bed, not a twin bed and the conversion kit sometimes costs extra.  I knew I wanted to get a twin size for my daughter, not full so there was no consideration of using it beyond a crib.

I would suggest leaving them in the same room....at least until they sleep through the night.  Because when one wakes up to eat, you should wake the other and feed them both to avoid being up all night.  I laid a blanket on the ground and fed them both in their boppies. 

My favorite item is their bottle props....by Leach Co.  Only sane way to feed 2 at the same time.

• We didnt really have the option for the room situation, but if we did, I still would have them share a room.  They always did better co-sleeping anyway.

As far as the car, we have a durango. I love it because I had mustang while pregnant and I am not ready for a mini-van. It works perfect for the 4 of us and all of our stuff but when we have our next, we will have to have something else because we cannot fit the double stroller and pop up the back seat.

As far as furniture, we have "cheap" beds that convert to full size beds.  A lot of them do now that are affordable.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We put our twins in their own rooms.  They went from RnPs in our rooms to their own cribs at 6 weeks.  I didn't see the need to keep them in the same room.  We did wake them to feed at the same time but they slept better separated. Even now, they nap better in their own rooms.

We purchased Munier furniture.  It converts to a toddler bed and then to a full.  We also purchased the crib protectors so they will not chew on their cribs and destroy them.  We went to some local furniture stores and told them we were having twins.  They let us purchase items off the showcase floor for almost cost.  Definitely consider asking this when you purchase furniture.

I am no help on the car since we looked at Hondas and Toyotas.  As for bed rest, stay positive.  I made it to 36 weeks when I ended up on bed rest for 2 days and then the twins were delivered.  Some people end up on bed rest, some dont.  Just take it easy and cook your babies!

U/S#1 showed 2 heartbeats! U/S#2 showed Baby A's heartbeat was 157 and Baby B 's heartbeat was 183! U/S#4 showed Baby A is a Boy (heartbeat 161) and Baby B is a Girl (heartbeat 159)!! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • congrats on the twins!

1- i have both babies in the same room right now in a very small nursery next to our downstairs master (here it is, it's very small but it works!) when they get older and want their own rooms, they can. but we thought we'd let them decide when that is.

2- i have an '05 explorer (eddie bower edition) - plenty of space!

3- i did my showers at 27 weeks then 29. i think any time before 30 is ideal.

4- we got cribs that will convert.

as for other suggestions, i did a little baby thing each weekend which worked well for me! also do everything you want to do before 30 weeks, after that you'll be more likely to go on bedrest, etc. i'm glad i got everything done b/c i went into PTL at 31 weeks and was on strict bedrest for the next 6 weeks! congrats again, i love ivf success stories!

photo 41f1f21b-fd5b-40ab-bc31-76a13e270270_zpscf391ac9.jpg
    After 2 years, Injects, PCOS diagnosis and 2 IUI's, we were blessed with our beautiful twin girls!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Baby Girl #3!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Congrats on your pregnancy!! After our IVF, I was holding my breath too. I remember being so careful about every little thing I did- I'm so glad you've made it this far and hope you can start to enjoy your pregnancy :) Rooms- way easier to share, even if they have to sleep in the same crib until they STTN Ford- we have an excursion & the double stroller plus its 2 seats (which you lug around seperate from the collapsed frame after the travel system is outgrown- Peg Perego tandem, which we love but not small once you're carrying all 3 pieces) barely fits in the back when the third row seat is up. We already had "the bus" when we got KU and I'm so glad. Anything smaller and we wouldn't be able to use that third row seat. Also, when you're installing convertible car seats, you'll be glad for a bigger vehicle since the driver often loses leg room with a large rear-facing car seat behind. Shower- mine was at 28wks and I was on BR already so the girls came to my house ;) Sorry no paragraphs- iPhone!!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Congrats!

We have the boys in the same room - two cribs. We bought convertible cribs but will probably not use them beyond toddler beds, so we chose inexpensive ones. 

I'm a minimalist when it comes to travel and so far the 4 of us (me, DH, boys) fit just fine in our Honda Accord. We also have a Subaru Outback if we want to bring the dogs with us. I would think that a Ford Explorer would be big enough, at least if you only have the twins and not a 3rd child for a while. 

My showers were at 28 and 29 weeks. I was pulled from work and put on bedrest at 33 weeks, so any later would have been pushing it. 

My advice is to do a lot of online shopping, and don't buy too many duplicates of items until you see if each baby likes it. For example, only get one swing and one bouncy seat, etc and if they both like it buy the other later. 

Good luck!

imageimageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"