Babies: 0 - 3 Months

How long does thrush last?

My little one has thrush. Her pediatrician prescribed her some medicine. I was also prescribed some since I BF. It has been 6 days since she first got it. 

Thanks! 

Re: How long does thrush last?

• Did she prescribe Nystatin? That isn't always 100% effective. You should have been seeing a difference by six days. If it doesn't work, you can consider Gentian Violet, which is over the counter. If you use it, be sure that you and your LO wear clothes you don't care about because it stains everything purple. With a qtip you apply a bit to your nipple before nursing. Your nipple and baby's mouth will turn purple temporarily. You may have to do it once or twice a day. It works like a charm.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • As PP stated Gentian Violet works wonders. Nystatin seems to work better for some reason if it is refrigerated... you have to keep make sure you and LO are both using it, b/c you can keep giving it to each other, also other siblings, paci's and anything that goes in LO's mouth can keep re-infecting her, so make sure everything gets cleaned real well!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • There's no real answer for when thrush goes away.  I was told to keep using the medicine until I hadn't experienced any symptoms for 4 days.  However, you also need to make sure to thoroughly sterilize any bottles/pacifiers/pump parts you may be using and I would also make sure to wash in hot water any clothes/burp clothes that came in contact with breast milk.  Otherwise, the yeast could be surviving on any of those items and make a comeback.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"