January 2012 Moms
Options

Thrilled, but 4lbs at 31 weeks?!

I just got back from a follow up ultrasound to check LO's kidneys as the tubes were apparently too wide at the 20 week scan. Everything looks fantastic, so that was a sigh of relief!

I got a couple of cute pictures, although its much harder to see since he is getting cramped in there, and asked her how much he weighed. She said it isn't 100% accurate but he is measuring 4lbs!!!! 

Doesn't that seem HUGE for being not quite 31 weeks?! 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Thrilled, but 4lbs at 31 weeks?!

• Options
    oh my! So sorry for your delivery!!!! I am hoping for like a 5 lb. baby!! Hope you go earlySmile
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Keep in mind that ultrasounds can be off by 2 pounds, so I would probably say that he is less then 4 pounds but that is kind of high for 31 weeks.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a growth scan last week at 30 weeks and they told me my lo was 3lbs12oz. I was a bit worried!  But I know that all babies grow at different rates and u/s's aren't always accurate with weight and stuff, so I'm trying not to freak out too much!  I was also measuring a week ahead at this point.
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker married 4/19/2008
  • Options
    When I went in for my last U/S she was 2 lbs (I was around 25 weeks).  This was in the higher end of "normal".  If the Dr. wasn't worried try not to!  IMHO!
    BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

I think this is actually a really normal size.

https://www.baby2see.com/medical/charts.html if you scroll down on this site the chart shows 3 lbs. 13 oz. as average size for 31 weeks.

At our birth class our teacher said women who wish for tiny babies are crazy since the amount of time babies can sleep at once is directly related to their body weight!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm 28 weeks and my little boy is weighing in at 2.5lbs. The doctor said that means he'll be around 7lbs when I deliver. They start putting on weight pretty quick now.....
  • Options
    imageDataJane:

https://www.baby2see.com/medical/charts.html if you scroll down on this site the chart shows 3 lbs. 13 oz. as average size for 31 weeks.

At our birth class our teacher said women who wish for tiny babies are crazy since the amount of time babies can sleep at once is directly related to their body weight!

I wouldn't say that time allowed to sleep is directly related to body weight.  According to my experience (so not scientific at all) and my friends and family experience babies weight has nothing to do with how long they sleep.  My daughter was 6 1/2 pounds and slept through the night at 2 weeks old (by that I mean 5 or 6 hours).  My niece was 8 1/2 pounds and didn't sleep through the night until she was around a year old.  And I have lots of friends who have had the same types of experiences.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Options

did they measure the feet?

• Options
    imageDataJane:

maybe. my bro was bigger then me - i was only 5lbs 6oz and i was a champ sleeper and he was a fussy colicy baby. but 30 years ago they didn't have stuff for small babies. probably less of a problem these days

BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imagekimspearman:

did they measure the feet?

I think they did but they didn't tell me the measurement. Why?

• Options

My lo was measuring 4lbs at 29w6d! My OB said that was in the 80th percentile for growth, but not on track to be a super huge baby for delivery. 

• Options

My what to expect app says 3.9 lb average for 31 weeks.... 

so give or take a few oz... sounds okay to me :) 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Had mine today. She is 4 lb 5 oz. Doctor says she is still in normal range, measuring a little over 2 weeks ahead. He said once they hit 33 weeks it is easier to tell how big they will get, because from there you can count 1/2 lb a week. 
    BFP: 5/23/14 Baby #2 (It's a Girl!: Madeline Jenny):
    Brooklyn Elise: 
    imageimageimage

• Options

imagedhviel:
    Keep in mind that ultrasounds can be off by 2 pounds, so I would probably say that he is less then 4 pounds but that is kind of high for 31 weeks.

My firend had an u/s a few days before she went into labor and the dr told her to expect a 9lb + baby.  Her belly was huge!  When the dr doing her c/s pulled her son out she was suprised that he was average size (7lb 7oz) and even checked to see if another baby was hinding in there.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My little goober weighed 3 lbs and 6 oz at 28 weeks so I am scared to think what she will be now. Did they mention doing a growth scan later so monitor how big your baby was? My doc wants to check closer to my DD.

Rachel, mama to Ava (6), Olivia (4), Nora (2), and baby#4 on the way.

• Options
    imagerachoochoo2:

My little goober weighed 3 lbs and 6 oz at 28 weeks so I am scared to think what she will be now. Did they mention doing a growth scan later so monitor how big your baby was? My doc wants to check closer to my DD.

I haven't seen my midwife yet so I'm not sure about a growth scan. It was just the tech that I was talking to and asking questions, I will get to talk to the midwife at my appointment next week. 

Glad to hear that he isn't out of the normal range though! It just seems like SUCH a jump from the last u/s. Its crazy how fast they grow in third tri... 

• Options
    At my last sono I could not get a weight measurement, but the tech told me our LO's feet are already 6cm, I was an 11 lb baby and they are guessing if I go full term he will be a big boy.
  • Options
    I've also heard that the ultrasound measurements can be off by as much as 2lbs either way. Which is a pretty ridiculously huge difference considering the LO only weights a few pounds in the first place. I would try not to let the measurements scare you too much, they're really just guesstimates.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"