Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

"Happy Spitter" or Acid Reflux?

How do I tell the diff?

My DD is 3 weeks old today.  She just started spitting up at about 2.5 weeks.  I bf, and after some of her feedings she gets a little fussy...not really bad screaming, but moving around a lot, crying a little, and unable to sleep.  She does this maybe 2-3 times a day.  I'll burp her, keep her upright on my shoulder for quite a while.  But usually after that she'll spit up.  She doesn't scream or cry when she spits up, just remains as fussy as she was before, but once she's spit up she seems pretty content.  

I know a lot of babies spit up and are "happy spitters"...but does the fact that she's fussy before she spits up make her an un-happy spitter and possibly mean she has acid reflux?   

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: "Happy Spitter" or Acid Reflux?

• Options

Your pediatrician can probably help you out with all that but my DS is a "happy spitter".

He spits up all day everyday.  We go through 4 outfits a day sometimes and he is always "bibbed up".  He has his fussy times at all kinds of different times of the day...but usually after spitting up (and sometimes it is A LOT) he is content and smiley. 

Hope you don't have an LO with reflux...I'd hate to have to medicate an LO.

• Options
    Our pedi said that *usually* reflux is present if LO spits up and there is pain AFTER spit up. So if your LO is content after spitting up then it probably is stomach issues.

With that being said my DS has reflux and does the same thing. The spitting up combined with the fact that we would lie him down and he would scream 5-10 minutes later was also a sign. Is LO able to be laid flat? If yes, then it may be gas not reflux. My DS has silent reflux... If my DD hadn't had it then I probably wouldn't know he had reflux for quite some time. His only symptom is not being able to be laid flat and spit up.
    SAHM to the sweetest little girl and boy... I love my job!

Praying for Baby Camryn
    Praying for Baby Scarlett
    Remembering Baby Adam
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It seems like a lot of people have their babies on meds for reflux. My pedi says they only need meds if they are losing or not gaining weight. Otherwise, the meds don't help any more than waiting it out. My LO spits up all day long. She has a couple fussy times throughout the day - screaming and refusing to be put down. It seems like it is more gas than anything to do with spitting up. We can lie her flat at night without a problem and she's gaining weight, so pedi said no meds.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ns1ns1 member

imageGraciesmomma:
    Our pedi said that *usually* reflux is present if LO spits up and there is pain AFTER spit up. So if your LO is content after spitting up then it probably is stomach issues.

With that being said my DS has reflux and does the same thing. The spitting up combined with the fact that we would lie him down and he would scream 5-10 minutes later was also a sign. Is LO able to be laid flat? If yes, then it may be gas not reflux. My DS has silent reflux... If my DD hadn't had it then I probably wouldn't know he had reflux for quite some time. His only symptom is not being able to be laid flat and spit up.

DD will lay flat on her back fine at night.  Daytime she seems to fuss a little but I just chalked that up to her wanting to be held...but maybe not? 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"