Upstate NY Babies

**how do you split nighttime feeding with DH**

So Dh was burning the midnight oil last night with work- so he stayed up for Xaviers feedings and let me sleep however, this cant continue because he does have to go back to work- and the poor guy needs sleep...

I'm curious about if you split the nighttime feedings and how- and if you dont do you go to sleep the first time all kids are asleep (like L is down at 8 and so when X goes down for the first time at night- I would sleep then?)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: **how do you split nighttime feeding with DH**

• Since DH has a full time job, I never split feedings.  I handled everything with the newborn. 

The only exception was if our older DD got up at night (on the few occasions she was sick or wet the bed, etc).  I didn't want DH to be tired all day, especially with working overtime. 

My friend's husband worked really late one night and was killed in an accident when he fell asleep at the wheel and to this day I worry about stuff like that - even though we don't have a newborn, DH burns the candle at both ends and he's exhausted all the time.

• DH and I generally share night-time responsibilities but that works out to him more often taking care of C (she rarely sleeps through the night) and me taking care of E if he wakes up. 

However, I generally always handled more of the feedings for a couple of reasons: 1) I wake at the drop of a hat so I run when E wakes so he doesn't wake C, who also wakes at the drop of a hat.  2) I'm apparently super particular about feedings so when DH does feed E, I always lay there and then ask him if he followed all of my steps when he gets back to bed (I must seem like a peach!).  When I'm tired, or DH hears E, he has no problem helping.  We generally divide all tasks related to parenting.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • With Evan - once he was sleeping longer stretches DH would go in and give him a dream feed at midnight before he came to bed. I would go straight in. But since I nursed Leah for much longer he didn't do any night feedings with her. I did ask him to get up early a few times when I was soooooooo tired. Like if I nursed her at 6 I would ask him to rock her to sleep and then get ready for work so I could have that extra little bit of sleep before a long day.
  • Considering R won't take a bottle, I do all the nighttime duties.  In the very beginning, he would get up on occasion with me and sit with me while I was nursing, but that was mostly because he's such a light sleeper anyway.  He does get up with G if he wakes up though. 
  • DH is on Rosie duty if she gets up, although she rarely does.  With Thomas up until a few days ago, I would do a feeding anywhere from 7-10pm, pump, and then go up to sleep.  DH would then take the next feeding, which would be anywhere from 10pm-1am, put the baby back to sleep downstairs in the PNP, and then bring him up for his next feeding.

Now we do a bedtime bottle around 8pm, and then I pump and go upstairs to sleep.  DH stays down here with the baby in the PNP until he wakes up, then brings him up to me.  When it all works properly, DH gets about 6-7 hours of sleep, and I get a good 3-4 straight hours in the beginning of the night.  However, Thomas's sleep has gone completely haywire the past few nights, so now none of us are sleeping.  Ugh.

• We didn't- ha! Since I was BFing and staying home, I did all the night time feedings. If I was going back to work we probably would have split them a bit more.

In the very beginning DH would get up w/ me, just to make sure everything was going okay w/ BF. Or on the rare occasion Evan was extra fussy and wouldn't go back to sleep DH would step in and help out.  

• I didn't with DD b/c I was breastfeeding. It sucked when I went back to work and still had to get up during the night.

But, in the beginning, the very beginning, he would change her and bring her to me. That was nice.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With L, I did everything just because I was home and he was working full time.  L started sleeping through the night around 8 weeks, so it wasn't terrible.  This baby will be a different story though with my going back to work after 2 months.  DH has been made fully aware that I will not be getting up every single time.
  • DH is a major night owl, so when Ian was a newborn, he would do up to the 1/2am feedings, which allowed me 5 or 6 hours of sleep before I took over at the 4/5am  and after feedings. I usually stayed up an hour or two after Ian went to bed at night to either do things around the house or just veg in bed to relax.
  • DH was able to take off for about a month after C was born and so I would pump and go to bed around 8 or so (or maybe stay up and pump at 10) and DH would keep her downstairs with him in her bouncy seat. If she woke up, he would feed her. He kind of got the short end of the stick on this deal because this was a fussy time for her and she would spend a couple hours straight just screaming or fussing then dozing off for a few minutes then fussing again. He would go to bed when he was ready and I would get up to feed her around 3-4am. Then I got up early with her. I was able to string together a few good hours early in the evening, so that was nice. We'll see how it goes with this baby, I hope to BF, so I'm not sure if I would pump after a while to get to sleep a little longer or something. DH now works 12 hr shifts and is off for 4 days in a row, so that will good and bad - long days when he is at work, but more time at home to help.
    image        image
  • I've gone back to work after both boys and still did all the nighttime feedings.  I'm still the one who gets up if Alex wakes up in the middle of the night.  Imagine my surprise when heard Alex at 1:30 this morning, ran into his room and found DH holding him.  I think I screamed...scared the crud out of me.  Apparently he was just coming to bed when he woke up.  I didn't even notice that he wasn't in the bed.
    Bianca image.
  • With E, since he was on bottles early on, we alternated nights or would alternate feedings,  It depended on how we felt.  Once he went back to work, I did the feedings the night before he worked and the nights he did work and he would do some of the other nights.  With A, I BF for 8 weeks and he was not great at taking a bottle, so I did all of the nighttime feedings.  By the time we switched A over to formula, he was STTN, so it was not an issue.  When we had times with E with teething and the 2 times he has been sick, we also alternated nights.  We split the parenting stuff about 60/40 or 50/50, but we are aware when one of us really needs the rest, we will take over.  Like when I work, I come home and do the nighttime routine and when he works, he does.  It gives the parent who has been with the kids all day a break and the parent that has been at work, the one on one time.   
    imageimage PHOTO Credit: Meryl :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ehh, I just took them all.  I think there was one night where I was sick, so I slept thru one of the feedings and dh fed her from the milk in the freezer.  But with the nursing, I was so worried that skipping any feedings would make me lose my supply, it wasn't worth it to me.  And then once I felt I had a good supply going, she was sleeping longer chunks, so it wasn't too bad.

DH is naturally a night owl and likes to sleep in.  So on nights I was real tired, I would pump at say 10pm and go to bed, and then he would grab the 11:30 feeding so I wouldn;t have to wake up until 2.  That worked out pretty good and I plan to do that more often this time with ds.

• When both girls were newborns, he would get up, change their diaper, then bring them to me to BF. He always tried to stay awake with me (bless his heart!) but would usually fall asleep. I would put them back down after the feeding. Neither of the girls really went for the bottle that much, so generally I did all the feedings. I will say that once they both finished BFing, he always gets up with either of them if they wake up. It is funny, when they were BFing I would wake up the second either of them made any sound. But once they finished, it was like something in me switched off. Chelsea has been waking multiple times a night for maybe 2-3 nights a week for the past year and DH always gets up with her. Most of the time I never even hear her!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"