Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Anyone else have a tongue-tied LO?

Lo just turned 6 months on Saturday. This will never sound right- but I just realized this weekend that she's tongue tied Indifferent. I was sticking my tongue out at her and realized she can't really do it and the end of her tongue is heart-shaped. Granted- it's not hindering her breast-feeding/eating/bottles, but I haven't started her on anything but plain baby food (no puffs, etc). She wants to mimic me so badly, but can't. POOR THING! I called the pediatrician's office and they are going to refer us to a ENT doc. I've Googled it and it seems relatively harmless.

Anyone else?

Re: Anyone else have a tongue-tied LO?

• DS was tongue tied but had his clipped at 4 days old.  Basically the ENT will numb it and clip it and within 10 minutes of holding the gause (sp) under the tongue, LO is done.  I don't know if there is more since your LO is 6 months old though.  DS still has a little divet on the front of his tonue but he is able to stick his tongue completely out of his mouth now :)

GL!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DD was tongue tied. I don't think it is that weird that you just figured it out. We wouldn't have know if I hadn't had such a painful breastfeeding experience. The lactation consultant was the one who discovered it.

The procedure to clip it was much easier than I expected. I had a lot of anxiety over it because I thought it was going to hurt my DD. But it didn't at all, she was a little upset that her arms had to be held down but she never cried out in pain she just fussed a little. It was quick and easy.  

• Loading the player...
  • Yes, my LO was tongue-tied...I realized it pretty quickly after he was born. When he cried it looked like he had a forked tongue. He also had some trouble with BF...no problems latching, but it took him FOREVER to eat. The procedure to correct it was pretty simple, they basically just clipped the "string" under his tongue. It was very quick. He cried but was easily comforted by nursing. When I read about the procedure online they compared the pain to that of getting your ears pierced...so I figure it wasn't too bad for him. The doctor said it was a good thing we had it done, as it could have interfered with his speech later on. It definitely helped with his eating, too. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My LO was also tongue-tied, and like PP said, if it hadn't been for the problems BFing, I would not have noticed it. In fact, I haven't had his pedi look at it yet, but I've recently noticed that he might have a lip tie as well....

It was a quick procedure, the worst part for LO was having to be restrained/held still for it. LO stopped crying just a few minutes after we were done, and immediately improved his latch. The worst part for me was the blood; LO ended up swallowing a fair amount of his own blood, which gave him an upset tummy, he later threw it all up....which scared the bejeesus out of me until I realized where the blood had come from.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our little guy is tongue tied. He just hit 6 months on the 18. They noticed he was tongue tied  at birth and said to me that unless it made things difficult they would leave it. My doc is going to keep an eye on it as he grows and unless it causes a speech problem they are just going to leave it. Sometimes nothing comes of it.  

My SIL had 2 kids tongue tied and she said when they cut their bottom teeth it broke the piece of skin. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS is. Our pedi referred us to an ENT, and he's going to have it clipped. It never interfered with BFing, so it wasn't really a big concern before. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

I never held you, but I always loved you.
    Baby Squirt- September 2009
    Baby Turtle- May 2010
    Baby Surprise- August 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"