1st Trimester
Options

Lifting heavy things?

We live on a farm so I regularly lift things like hay bales, feed bags, calf pails, etc. The heaviest thing is probably 75 lbs. Since I found out I was pregnant I only lift things I can without straining (about 50 lbs). I thought this was ok.. I went to the drs last week for the sonogram and everything is perfect but I asked just to be on the safe side what I could lift. They wouldn't answer me. They basically said don't lift anything. Um..if I can't lift anything they might as well put me on bed rest. We have a small family farm. If I don't help in the barn that leaves my husband to do all the work on his own. The doctor actually gasped when I told him I was still milking cows. Women in DH's family have worked on the farm until they popped so I don't understand what the big deal is.

Has anyone else ever asked this question? Did your doctor give you an answer? I'm only 9 weeks. Me and the baby are perfectly healthy.

Re: Lifting heavy things?

• Options

They always have said that any physical activity that you were doing before you were pregnant you are safe to continue doing. I do think that there is a weight limit, but I don't know it. Do you milk by hand or by machine? Either way although it is tough work, it isn't overly strenuous. Perhaps his concern was over the getting kicked part in the off chance that hit ever did happen.

If it was me, I would continue to do as much as I felt I could without putting me or LO in danger. If that meant that DH had to pick up the hay bales while I shovel poop then I guess that is what I would do. I know this probably isn't much help to you, but I just thought I would tell you what I would do. I hope you get an answer from your doctor soon. Good luck and give the cows a pat on the head for me! They are my favorite farm animal besides the horses! :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Not lifting anything seems pretty ridiculous to me. I had always been told that whatever you were doing before (lifting wise) was safe to continue doing. If we couldn't life anything, how would those of us with toddlers get through the day? I lift DD all the time without thinking about it. Now, she is only 25-30lbs, but still. I would push your Dr to give you an actual number restriction. And how can milking cows be an issue?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was given a 10 pound lifting restriction. However, I don't regularly lift 75 pounds.
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Options

imageAllycat11:
    I was given a 10 pound lifting restriction. However, I don't regularly lift 75 pounds.

If this was my limit I wouldn't be able to get through the day. All of my crap that I carry to work easily equals 10 pounds, not to mention hefting the vacuum cleaner, mowing the lawn, giving the pup a kaboose boost when she is too lazy to jump in the truck (she weights 92 lbs by the way), and one recipe of buttercream frosting that I make easily weights upwards of 8 lbs...add that to a cake...we are talking a 20 pound cake minimum! Nope....10 pounds wouldn't cut it for me.

• Options
    When I was pregnant I was given a 20lb weight limit and I lifted heavy things all the time. I actually had a friend who lost her baby because she was lifting to much weight. I dont know exactly what happened but it caused a bleed and she ended up miscarrying. I would call you Dr back and let them know you NEED to know and EXACT weight restriction because of your physical activity on the farm.
  • Options
    Want to know why most pregnant women are advised to only lift things 25lbs and below? Because it can cause placental abruption. As your belly  grows in size your ab muscles will also become under more stress and be less toned therefore your balance isn't going to be as good . To me , lifting something 75lbs while pregnant is  wreckless and I am hardly the " woe is me I'm a helpless pregnant woman who can't do anything" type.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Want to know why most pregnant women are advised to only lift things 25lbs and below? Because it can cause placental abruption. Also,  as your belly  grows in size your ab muscles will also become under more stress and be less toned therefore your balance isn't going to be as good . To me , lifting something 75lbs while pregnant is  wreckless and I am hardly the " woe is me I'm a helpless pregnant woman who can't do anything" type.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Some physicians (including my own) will tell you not to lift anything ... if you ask if you can run... some will say no.  This is not what the American College of Obstetrics and Gyn recommend, however these doctors are covering themselves for insurance purposes.  H&H 9 months to you

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My doc said nothing over 40 pounds.  If it hurts stop and if it causes any spotting also stop.  I would be really careful.  Is there any way your husband could hire help for the more strenuous activities?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • Options

I think it's okay to listen to your body...if you are uncomfortable or have tightening after, you've overdone it. The doc probably doesn't want to give you an "exact" number because of liability issues...but in general, at 9 weeks you should be able to continue with many of your same activities. You are smart to start limiting to 50lbs or lower. I don't see the issues with cow milking. It's not like the unpasteurized milk sprays in your mouth...I assume you wash hands before and after.

Later, when your belly gets bigger, you'll be naturally restricted by your body since you can't balance/push heavy loads against your belly (it just doesn't feel good). A 10-20lb limit seems a little excessive unless you are on bed rest...toddlers are easily 25-40lbs.   

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I regularly worked out and coached women's gymnastics. When I found out I was pregnant, the doctor restricted my lifting to under 25lbs. I was told I should stop coaching mainly because of the risk of pulling a major muscle and getting kicked/fallen on.
  • Options
    I don't strain myself, but I simply cannot keep my lifting under 25 lbs. I'm pretty sure that if I've been doing chores etc every day for the past, well, forever, that I will be ok. Of course, if a person never lifts more than a few pounds at a time, then 25 lbs would be a pretty strenuous weight. Also, I live in a farming community. I'm pretty sure that every farm wife that I've ever known have continued to do most of their regular chores, including milking cows, and have been fine. I will not put myself in harms way just to be tough, but I will also carry on to the best of my ability.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I was told to limit my lifting to about 30 pounds, (the weight of my toddler).
  • Options
    I was told that lifting heavy things is fine as long as I'm not straining myself. My daughter weighs around 30 pounds and I lift her all the time. I did all kinds of physical work with my last pregnancy like shoveling snow and raking leaves and mowing the lawn. Sounds like what you are doing now is fine. If you start to feel a strain as your pregnancy progresses you can cut back.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"