Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Solids "rules" going out the window

DD has been eating solids since just before 5 months and I tried to do everything by the book (starting with rice, introducing certain foods only and several days apart, avoiding certain foods blah blah). I thought I wanted to avoid wheat and dairy for a year but turns out there is wheat and dairy in everything (oatmeal, puffs). We've tried lots of different things and she has not had any reactions and there is no history of food allergies in either of our families so I think I'm going to be a lot less cautious from here on out because it is becoming burdensome. Today DD had a slice of tomato and some shredded cheese, first time for both. Let's hope I don't regret it!

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Solids "rules" going out the window

• We tried a little chicken tonight.  I was going to avoid grains until I got a  chance to try the mixed grain cereal.  Then I realized that they were in puffs, so that was out.  I wanted to make sure she isn't allergic to them, but now I guess I know she's not!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • you sound logical, i would just stick with the nuts at 1yr just to be safe. i am lucky but some are not
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Agreed. I'm on my second baby, so it's a little less nerve-wracking for me. I think the truly important rules are: no nuts or honey until 1 year. Everything cut up very finely so as to avoid choking hazard. The end.

A lot of experts out there say that the baby's immune system is doing the most development in the first year. During that year, the baby's body sorts out what is good and bad for it. So if new things are not introduced, the baby will be MORE likely to be allergic to them. Given all the weird food allergies that exist now -- and did not exist en masse when we were kids -- I think these guys are onto something.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've been kind of lax about solids too.  So far we haven't had any reactions either. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • same here. i dont even follow the 4 day rule anymore. i gave him kiwis, peaches, purple cabbage, and chicken this weekend. he was fine with everything.

my biggest hurdle now is giving him chunks of soft food and letting him learn how to feed himself. he is starting to master the mumum cookies but i am having heart failure thinking about giving him anything that doesn't dissolve.

• The "rules" went out the window a long time ago for us.  My husband has no regards to the rules...the only two he's followed is the no honey or nuts till 1 year.  She eats whatever we eat, and we don't cut it up very small, we let her take bites.  The 4 day rule was never followed, like Sunday at costco she tried every sample offered, yogurt, cheese, veggie burger, potsticker, beef and barely soup, french onion soup, gold fish crackers, and even the chocolate crackers (like teddy grahams).  I didn't want her to have the crackers because they are really crunchy but hubby gave them to her and she did great!
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"