Breastfeeding
Options

Pumping logistics question

I'm going back to work in December.  It is going to require me to make a 45 minute commute.  So, I am hoping to pump to and from work.  In addition to pumping at night before I go to bed.  I'll pump at lunch/afternnoon sometime too.  My question is about waiting to pump in the morning.  Right now I pump around 9pm (sometimes 8:30, sometimes 9:30).  I never really sleep past 5ish.  I always pump first thing when I wake up.  Do you think I'm setting myself up for problems by waiting until I'm on the road (7-7:30ish) to pump?  I'd really like to spend the time in the morning getting ready and playing with LO before I head off to work.   
Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Pumping logistics question

• Options

Are you EP?

I don't think it will cause you any problems, though the first couple of days you may be a little uncomfortable as your body adjusts to the later pumping time.  

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I get up at 4 to pump.  I leave here at 5, my commute is 1 hour.  I have to pump first thing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemeltoine:

Are you EP?

I don't think it will cause you any problems, though the first couple of days you may be a little uncomfortable as your body adjusts to the later pumping time.  

Yes, I'm an EPer.  I pump 3-4 times a day now.  So, it wouldn't be a different number of pumps.   

• Options
    I EP as well - I am down to 5 pumps.  Last pump of day is around 9:45 p.m. and then usually not until 7:30 a.m. again... no problems.  But I am extremely full and its sometimes a little uncomfortable while I am getting ready in the a.m.  Worth it to me for extra sleep and time with LO.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

You'd probably be ok. I was super uncomfortable the first couple times I went all night sans 2am pump.

Have you tried pumping/ driving at the same time? I haven't yet... but I want to pump on my commute home.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

When LO SSTN, I pump while I'm getting ready in the morning (I don't EP so I pump one side and feed DS on the other when he wakes up). This helps relieve the engorgement. I usually don't pump until empty because I will pump again soon. About an hour later, I start pumping while I'm driving to work. That morning pump helps me because I don't get as much while I'm driving because I can't do compressions.

I'd probably try the new schedule out to see if it works for you, and make sure the pumps during your commute that you set it up and don't do compressions or anything that you can't do while driving. (I adjust suction and switch phases on my PISA while driving, but I could do that with my eyes shut and is no more distracting than changing the radio station and adjusting the volume.)

#3 Due April 2016
  • Options
    imagekatxattack:

You'd probably be ok. I was super uncomfortable the first couple times I went all night sans 2am pump.

Have you tried pumping/ driving at the same time? I haven't yet... but I want to pump on my commute home.

Yeah, I pump and drive all the time.  It works great.  Whenever LO has appts that are 30 or so mins away I pump.  Or if I have to run to a store that is 30ish mins away.   It is super easy.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"