Breastfeeding
Options

pump and dump ?

I drank last night and pump and dumped twice but am wondering if I should dump the milk I pumped this am.

I pumped at 4:30pm(kept milk) I had a beer at like 4:45, captain diet coke around 5:15, half of a vodka sour around maybe 6:30, pumped and dumped at 9pm, had a glass of wine around 10ish, then a vodka cranberry around 12am, pumped and dumped around 1:30am. Woke up at 8:30am and pumped-should i keep this milk?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: pump and dump ?

• Options

Someone else will probably be able to explain this better, but the only reason you need to pump and dump is for comfort. Alcohol leaves BM just like it leaves your body- if you are sober enough to drive, you can BF.

So no, don't dump any more of your liquid gold!

I guess technically now I should be SecondBabyMomma Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageFirstBabyMomma:

Someone else will probably be able to explain this better, but the only reason you need to pump and dump is for comfort. Alcohol leaves BM just like it leaves your body- if you are sober enough to drive, you can BF.

So no, don't dump any more of your liquid gold!

This is true! 

Someone explained it to me like this, "you don't have to bleed to get the alcohol out of your blood, your liver takes care of it.  In the same way, you don't have to eliminate breast milk to be able to nurse your child."  Your body will filter the alcohol out over time.  I know it's kind of a graphic response, but it gave me a way to picture how it all worked. 

Keep the milk!!  You can definitely use it whenever you need to!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The morning milk should be fine (did you feel sober?). You were right to pump and dump a couple times, as you were drinking over a long period of time. That kept your supply up and kept you comfortable.
  • Options
    The 8:30 a.m. milk is fine. Do not throw it out.
  • Options
    Personally I wouldn't have dumped at all.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagebancbev:
    This. If you can drive, you can nurse.
    Dx: MFI, DOR, 9 Fibroids and homozygous MTHFR

"Smudge's Story - How to Grow a Dandelion" will return soon!
    The Dandelion Archive
    "If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn."

We're Finally Three Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imageGenRN45:
    imagebancbev:
    This. If you can drive, you can nurse.

this also

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Exactly. My OB practice told me we metabolize alcohol out of our breastmilk just like we do out of our blood. The only point of pump and dump is for your own comfort -- not because you are getting rid of the alcohol. Only time will do that. I wolud not throw out your morning milk.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"