Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Horizon Organic Milk with DHA or without DHA, which do you use?

Horizon Organic Milk with DHA or without DHA, which do you use? I've used both and was recently told that the added DHA may not be the best for my 13 month old, what do you think?  I havent asked the pedi yet but plan to this week.

Re: Horizon Organic Milk with DHA or without DHA, which do you use?

• Something about the DHA being synthetic(google it and you will see random things) in the Horizon brand and possibly consuing too much DHA?  These were comments from people that are not doctors or researchers but it put the thought in my head, guess i will call the pedi this week.
  • We drink Trader Joes Organic but just wanted to throw this out there for you in case it helps. 

I just read an article the other day that was talking all about all of these companies that are now adding DHA to products.  The article said that it is way better to provide a natural source of DHA (fish) than consume foods with it added.  The example of fish had 500-1000mg of DHA and the milk, ice cream, etc. that were fortified with it only had like 20 or 30 mg.  They were basically saying that these companies were kind of being shady letting people thing that their food product was a good source of DHA when it wasn't.

Sorry, I don't have a link for you.  Hopefully, a google search could bring you to it or something similar.

• Loading the player...
  • I use the one with the DHA. DS loves it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagecmeon_the_water:
    We won't use Horizon (Dean Foods) products, no matter what they claim on the label.
      Why not?  Anything we should know or research about the brand?
  • I don't use horizon, I use another organic milk with added DHA.
  • imageMishelle62:
    imagecmeon_the_water:
    We won't use Horizon (Dean Foods) products, no matter what they claim on the label.
      Why not?  Anything we should know or research about the brand?

Just click on the link!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • All I know about horizon is that they had it at a bounce house we went to and i got it for DS1 and it expired in Aug of 2012.  Something is not right with Milk that lasts a year. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageBrewtowngrl:
    All I know about horizon is that they had it at a bounce house we went to and i got it for DS1 and it expired in Aug of 2012.  Something is not right with Milk that lasts a year. 

Wait, was it UHT milk (ultra high temperature)?  That isn't a brand thing that is a pasteurization thing.  Milk can be pasteurized or UHT pasteurized.  Milk that come in those juice box looking containers are UHT milk so it lasts a really long time until it's opened.  From my understanding it doesn't change anything about the milk except that it kills all bacteria so it can last so long in those containers.  It always seems gross to me but it really is just regular ol' milk in there.

• Also give the one WITH DHA more often than not.  If they don't have the one with DHA, we just buy the regular.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecmeon_the_water:

Wow, that's crazy. I never buy that brand, and now I'm glad.

However, I wonder if any of the off brand organic milk (Target's Archer Farm brand, for example) are actually from Horizon because I've seen that Target does have an organic, DHA-added milk.

Our first baby girl, Lucia Joy, joined us on April 1, 2010!
  • imageeitaknna9:

imagecmeon_the_water:

However, I wonder if any of the off brand organic milk (Target's Archer Farm brand, for example) are actually from Horizon because I've seen that Target does have an organic, DHA-added milk.

Trader Joes is Horizon

• I've bought both with and without DHA depending on what they had on the shelf.  I do buy Horizon for use at home.  I don't know what the Cornucopia Institute is (the ones who have the link provided) but maybe I'll do some more research.  DS drink non-organic *gasp* all day at day care.

• imagesosoph:
    imageeitaknna9:

imagecmeon_the_water:

Trader Joes is Horizon

Thanks for letting me know!

Our first baby girl, Lucia Joy, joined us on April 1, 2010!
  • imagecmeon_the_water:

Agree. Supposedly (and of course, I can't find the article I read, but I believe it was originally linked from TB), Horizon products are pretty shady.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"