Upstate NY Babies

If you make your own baby food...

What do you use? Food processor? Baby Bullet? Brand recommendations? This intrigues me, but I admit the motivation is there but the time might not be. Curious to see how others got started, what you use etc etc and why you make your own foods.

TIA!

Re: If you make your own baby food...

• I bought a beaba babycook and love love love it. It's idiot proof. It both steams and purees. I ALWAYS boil the water out of the pan when steaming things in a basket. It's terrible. Burned broccoli water stinks up the house for weeks ;) I'm just too distracted. I could set something to steam and it wound shut off when done...then I could pur?e when I had the chance. It doesnt make a ton at a time. But I didn't like to freeze food because I wanted it as fresh as possible. It's super easy to clean unlike a blender. It's pricey though. But it made it through both kids almost back to back. If we have another I'll probably get a new bowl because this one was washed with a non scratchproof sponge a couple of times and is really cloudy now because if it. But the machine itself is still like new.
  • I just used the food processor attachment to my blender. I also froze it in ice cube trays, all very easy. My pieces all were dishwasher safe and easy to take apart, no issue with cleaning.

I didn't do all foods, and most I did were roasted in the oven. They tasted better IMO than steamed.  

• Loading the player...
  • I made the food to save money. I used the Magic Bullet with fruits and vegs, I would steam or bake- super easy. I used ice cube trays with lids that I found at Target and then dumped the "cubes" into labeled freezer bags. My best advice is to take one day/night of the week and just make a ton- then you're not washing parts/pans all the time.
    imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks Ladies! And I hope some of this is idiot proof...because most of the time with things "baby" I feel like an idiot. Stick out tongue

So...maybe a dumb question, but did you guys get a cookbook? Or just make single flavor foods?

• I just used a food processor. I didn't do all foods (I bought some jars of the higher stages that mixed stuff together). Let's see-I did carrots, peas, applesauce, squash, sweet potatoes, cauliflower...can't think of any others off the top of my head. I would make a larger batch then do the ice cube trick as well-that way you're not making it all of the time.
  • I used the magic bullet.  I would make a bunch of sweet potatoes, butternut squash, pears/bananas puree, etc. and then freeze in ice cube trays.  Then I would pop them out into labeled bags.  My kids would start with 1 cube of something which was like 15 sec (I think) in the microwave and then move up to 2 cubes or 1 of each.  It was great.  So much easier in the long run than buying foods.
  • imageMrsWhiteonWhiteSt:

this is the website I used too. I just used a mini food processor to puree everything... or one of those stick blenders.

My girlfriend got the Baby Bullet (by the Magic Bullet) and she loves it. It comes w/ all the little containers to store/freeze the food. 

• I also used wholesomebabyfoods.com a lot.  Really great info there, I don't think you need a cookbook with a great site like that.

With Tyler I made a lot more purees, but B was never into them so I just mashed her food and she liked that a lot better.  Somethings you just don't need to do much with.  Like avacoda, banana, pumpkin puree (I bought cans), I would just buy a regular jar of plain applesauce, I would buy and freeze prune juice instead of making prunes.  When I did puree foods, I just used the food processor on my blender.  Then froze everything in ice cube trays.  It was really easy.  I did buy processed baby oatmeal, but I only used it to mix with other things to get the consistancy I wanted.

• Thanks for posting this, I'm planning on trying to make my own food as well but had no idea how to start...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • A friend had given me a baby cook that I used and loved, but I did purees for less than a month before deciding BLWing was more for us. I still loved it for steaming, though. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"