Health & Exercise
Options

Is walking up 13 floors a good idea for exercise?

I'm in my 12th week with twins (first pregnancy). I was in pretty okay shape before I got pregnant, but just about 3 months ago I got a really stressful job at a law firm, so now I wake up at 7 AM and come home at 7 PM, completely exhausted and just crawl into bed. My weekends are spent getting some much-needed rest.

As a result, I haven't exercised at all since I started working. I intend to continue to work up until I give birth (if possible), and then only take 6 weeks off (again, if possible), but my question is, I need to find a good way to squeeze in some exercise. There are no showers at work so I can?t go out jogging, and no gym close by that I can afford. But I do work up on the 13th floor, should I start using the stairs once a day? I'm just worried it might be too hard since I get easily winded, but it's the only thing I can think of. Besides buying a pregnancy aerobics DVD, which I?m looking into..

Re: Is walking up 13 floors a good idea for exercise?

• Options
    Can you take a walk during your lunch break?  Also, maybe just try a few flights of stairs until you build up endurance then take the elevator the rest of the way.  Also every hour take a bathroom break and do some light stretching (i.e. head rolls, squats, etc.) Then do some kegels at your desk.  By the end of the day, that should be a decent work out.  Something is better than nothing. 
  • Options

Good for you to try to find a solution in a busy schedule!  I was always terribly short of breath when pg, even though I exercised regularly, and I would take the stairs between floors in my office - but 2 flights would leave me winded!  But the steps are great strength training, and good cardio too as long as you don't get your heartrate racing too high.  Take them slow & steady, catch your breath at the top of each flight, and watch your balance too - you might find you are less coordinated, so be careful not to fall.  Its not a race!!

And thanks for the idea - I'm back at work and haven't found time to workout...this is an easy solution!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"