August 2011 Moms
Options

Alcohol induced regret....Oh, how my life has changed

Before LO we would drink too much and wake up the next morning with a hangover and wasting the next day laying on the couch and swearing you would never drink this much again. 

After LO I drink a few too many (enough for a buzz, but not enough to be drunk) and I spend the next several hours pumping and dumping, almost in tears as I pour this liquid gold down the drain, and swearing I will never drink this much again.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Alcohol induced regret....Oh, how my life has changed

• Options
    I honestly think you are being too cautious.   Check out this helpful link from kelly mom.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Yes  This was me Friday night.  I have the test strips, but it's not worth a $1 for me to check if I'm pretty sure it's bad.

The worst was the hungover 3am feeding.  It'll be a long time before I do that again.

eta: I was pumping for engorgement, I know you don't have to pump and dump.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DH and I went out with friends last night for his birthday and LO stayed the night with my parents.  After a couple drinks I was so tired!! Definitely could not hang like I used to...was back in hotel room early and got a full night of sleep!! I definitely felt like a different person than me just 1 year ago!
  • Options

Yes-- much different now, huh?

Oh, and FYI: You could have saved that milk. Pump and dump is not necessary if you aren't intoxicated.

I had a margarita last night while watching the game, and kept the pumped milk. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I had about 5-6 drink over the course of 8 hours (2-10), am fairly slender, and didn't eat dinner at all.  I have always heard that you wait 1 1/2 to 2 hours per drink from the time you stopped drinking (I stopped drinking at 10, so my milk would not have been good until 10 the next morning.  I couldn't use any of my milk while I was drinking, so that is almost an entire day of wasted milk (2 P.M. to 10:00 A.M. the next morning).  Does this sound about right, or do you still think that is too cautious?  I am just so worried that I will inadvertently give LO milk that has alcohol in it, on second thought, it may make her sleep better :)

• Options
    Im too scared to even attempt to drink more than one bc I know Ill feel the same way! Oh how life changes....:)
  • Options
    imagecrkreativekids:

I had about 5-6 drink over the course of 8 hours (2-10), am fairly slender, and didn't eat dinner at all.  I have always heard that you wait 1 1/2 to 2 hours per drink from the time you stopped drinking (I stopped drinking at 10, so my milk would not have been good until 10 the next morning.  I couldn't use any of my milk while I was drinking, so that is almost an entire day of wasted milk (2 P.M. to 10:00 A.M. the next morning).  Does this sound about right, or do you still think that is too cautious?  I am just so worried that I will inadvertently give LO milk that has alcohol in it, on second thought, it may make her sleep better :)

I think the point about pumping and dumping is that it does not "clean out" your milk - if you have alcohol in your system and pump and dump, the new milk your body produces after you pump is still going to have some alcohol in it.  It's only when your liver has completely processed out all the alcohol out of your bloodstream that your breastmilk will also be completely alcohol free. 

DS1 born 08.02.11

DS2 born 12.05.13

• Options

vstevens, I was pumping to relieve engorgement.  It was really bad, rock hard boobs and crazy leaking, I was a hot mess :)

• Options
    I was sitting home yesterday watching the college football games and having a few beers with DH. I was also scanning Facebook looking at all my friend's crazy costumes as they were heading out for the night and thinking to myself, wow, so much has changed in a year. I won't be part of those crazy wild nights out again for a long time, and if I get the chance to go, I won't get to sit at home loving how I'm wasting the day resting off my hangover. I've officially grown up
    imageimage

BFP #1 EDD 08/07/11 DS born 07/27/11 Welcome Mr. Smiley!
    BFP #2 05/28/12 EDD 02/03/13 Natural M/C 07/14/12 10w6d
    BFP #3 10/02/12 EDD 06/11/13 Please stick baby! Stick!

Sunshine_zps3fcf529f Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagecrkreativekids:

vstevens, I was pumping to relieve engorgement.  It was really bad, rock hard boobs and crazy leaking, I was a hot mess :)

Ah, okay then.  I did the same thing when I went to a friend's wedding a few weeks ago (pumped when I got home because I had two rock-hard cantaloupes on my chest).  We got home at midnight after probably having 5-6 drinks starting at 6pm - and I BF'ed LO at about 5:30AM the next day because I felt fine/sober.  At that point, I figured even if there was a little residual alcohol in my breastmilk it wouldn't do much harm, but obviously it's a personal decision and depends on what you feel comfortable with. 

DS1 born 08.02.11

DS2 born 12.05.13

• Options

I've experimented with the test strips and found that 2 hrs per drink is way overkill.  I'm also fairly small and I can have 2 beers (one 6%, one 3% abv) and I can pump and save 2.5 hrs later.  I've found that if I don't feel the effects of alcohol, it's likely out of my system.

It might be worth it to you to play around and see what works for you.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In our BF'ing class, the LC told us that you only need to pump and dump if you feel buzzed.  She said that if you don't feel drunk then your fine to keep the milk.
  • Options

DH and I would do the same thing before LO.  Drink way too much and waste the next day watching movies because we were useless to the world! 

Now I feel guilty for feeling buzzed!  Although it takes me much longer to drink one drink now, before LO they would go down like water!Embarrassed

Concerning pumping, I only pump 3 times a day and if I'm going to drink I do it before I indulge.  I also have a pretty big stash, and have NO problem giving DS formula.  In fact he gets about 3 bottles of formula each day.   I have the test strips, but since I stopped nursing DS I don't feel the need to use them.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"